Horse Racing > NASCAR?

Slack jaw gaze

If there's a less important or useful discussion than whether some activity is a sport, I've yet to run across it.

Never mind the horses - jockeys are, pound for pound, some of the strongest and fittest athletes in existence.

They're not terribly different from NASCAR drivers, in fact. (I used to sneer at the idea of racing drivers being "athletes" until I learned more about the physical demands on the mind and body). Drivers don't have to "make weight" like jockeys do, but they are behind the wheel for a much longer period of time than it takes to run the average horse race. But then cars tend to be a bit more predictable than Thoroughbreds!

Golf . . . . I can't quite get my brain around calling it a sport, though I will readily admit it's a skill and very, very intricate and tough to master. Players who walk the course (bonus points for actually schlepping your own bag) are more like real athletes than the ones who hop in the cart if the distance to the ball is more than five strides.

Never mind the horses - jockeys are, pound for pound, some of the strongest and fittest athletes in existence.

They're not terribly different from NASCAR drivers, in fact. (I used to sneer at the idea of racing drivers being "athletes" until I learned more about the physical demands on the mind and body). Drivers don't have to "make weight" like jockeys do, but they are behind the wheel for a much longer period of time than it takes to run the average horse race. But then cars tend to be a bit more predictable than Thoroughbreds!

Golf . . . . I can't quite get my brain around calling it a sport, though I will readily admit it's a skill and very, very intricate and tough to master. Players who walk the course (bonus points for actually schlepping your own bag) are more like real athletes than the ones who hop in the cart if the distance to the ball is more than five strides.

It's unfortunate, but most courses these days require carts. If they don't it's about a five mile walk in total so it's a decent amount of exercise.

Golf is a sport for a professional golfer but its just an activity for anyone else. There are lots of physical mental demands on a professional golfer.

It's unfortunate, but most courses these days require carts. If they don't it's about a five mile walk in total so it's a decent amount of exercise.

I almost always walk when I play. I don't play at peak hrs on weekends and I am a better than average golfer. Several courses I play at let me walk solo all the time because they know I won't hold anyone up. A foursome of weekend hackers can't play anywhere near as fast as I can.

Interestingly, Boxing is one the last things on this list I would call a sport.

Fighting isn't a sport. A- There's no logistical element (no ball to move to a goal, no finish line to cross), B- the result is dependent on judges.

I put combat sports generally more in line with ice dancing and cheerleading. They're demanding physical exercises with tremendous atheletes involved, but I don't see them as sports like Football, Baseball, Racing, Golf, or Curling.

I almost always walk when I play. I don't play at peak hrs on weekends and I am a better than average golfer. Several courses I play at let me walk solo all the time because they know I won't hold anyone up. A foursome of weekend hackers can't play anywhere near as fast as I can.

I walked 63 holes in one day at Ft. Meade when I was in my mid twenties and it wasn't even for a charity :LOL: It sure felt like a sport that day... :codger:

Fighting isn't a sport. A- There's no logistical element (no ball to move to a goal, no finish line to cross), B- the result is dependent on judges.

I put combat sports generally more in line with ice dancing and cheerleading. They're demanding physical exercises with tremendous atheletes involved, but I don't see them as sports like Football, Baseball, Racing, Golf, or Curling.

The judges input is moot if there is a knockout.

Your ice dancing/cheerleader comparison comes across as pretty juvenile.

I'm not sure of your point. There are a lot of cheerleaders who are knockouts. :)

• Like 1

If both competitors complete the event, the result is judged. Having a competitor drop out results in forfeiture in many athletic events.

What do you have against figure skaters and cheerleaders? They're phenomenal athletes with an extremely well tailored skill set. I'm not knocking them or boxers in any way. I just don't see their activities as proper sports.

Edited by KenJennings

If both competitors complete the event, the result is judged. Having a competitor drop out results in forfeiture in many athletic events.

What do you have against figure skaters and cheerleaders? They're phenomenal athletes with an extremely well tailored skill set. I'm not knocking them or boxers in any way. I just don't see their activities as proper sports.

You appear to have some kind of problem with combat sports, that's ok. You sound like you've had this discussion before, it looks like you're in the middle of a conversation that's been going on for quite a while.

You appear to have some kind of problem with combat sports, that's ok. You sound like you've had this discussion before, it looks like you're in the middle of a conversation that's been going on for quite a while.

I have absolutely no problem with combat 'sports'. In fact, I very much enjoy watching a good MMA fight.

I've never expressed any criticism about the activities themselves. Rather, just the way certain individuals treat them.

I have absolutely no problem with combat 'sports'. In fact, I very much enjoy watching a good MMA fight.

I've never expressed any criticism about the activities themselves. Rather, just the way certain individuals treat them.

But to you it's the same as cheer-leading, so you said. So you must feel exactly the same watching two guys in an MMA fight as you do when you watch cheerleaders perform?

Seems like Blaine Gabbert is making Kaep look like a chump right about now...

Are you trying to turn this into an "Is Blaine Gabbert an athlete?" thread or did you post in the wrong place?

Seems like Blaine Gabbert is making Kaep look like a chump right about now...

Are you trying to turn this into an "Is Blaine Gabbert an athlete?" thread or did you post in the wrong place?

Well we know he's not an athlete, he's probably got more in common with a cheerleader in fact, to use someone else's analogy, but yeah I did post this in the wrong thread. :doh: :facepalm: :16ton:

But to you it's the same as cheer-leading, so you said. So you must feel exactly the same watching two guys in an MMA fight as you do when you watch cheerleaders perform?

That's not what I said. By that logic, I also said that Football is the same as Curling.

But I don't think that's what I said.

That's not what I said. By that logic, I also said that Football is the same as Curling.

But I don't think that's what I said.

Well only you know what you're trying to say.