Will The Rick Make an Appearance?

On the next tour, will Ged bring the Rick out? If so, during what song(s)? Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

Maybe someone would be kind enough to give me a bass lesson here.

Post the picture and the name of the different bass guitars Geddy uses. I like the little one he used in the Grace Under Pressure dvd. I never saw that one again.

Edited by Lorraine

Post the picture and the name of the different bass guitars Geddy uses. I like the little one he used in the Grace Under Pressure dvd. I never saw that one again.

I'm too lazy to post pics, but the Rickenbacker is the one from Exit, Steinberger is from GUP, Wal is on ASOH, and the Jazz is on everything recent
  • Like 1

I'm too lazy to post pics, but the Rickenbacker is the one from Exit, Steinberger is from GUP, Wal is on ASOH, and the Jazz is on everything recent

But sometimes he uses different ones for different songs. Or is he always using the same one? Or am I thinking of Alex? :unsure:

But sometimes he uses different ones for different songs. Or is he always using the same one? Or am I thinking of Alex? :unsure:

Alex switches guitars quite a bit, especially lately. Geddy not so much, he normally picks a bass and plays the whole tour with it, and for the last eternity it's been the Jazz bass

This Premier Guitar article on Geddy and Alex's gear on the Clockwork Angels could be of use to those who want to know more about what guitars/basses they use as of now. Actually, Geddy swaps basses more often than we think! (Eventhough he's switching to a different model of the same bass)

http://www.premiergu...n_and_Geddy_Lee

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 2

He brought it out for Bangkok on the Snakes and Arrows tour, so it's not impossible. Considering the next tour will probably be an anniversary tour, I'd say it's a little more possible.

There's not a chance in hell that he'll give up the Jazz though. I expect to see him playing that all night.

Edit: the songs, right...probably some out of the vault track from the 70's. I don't expect him to do it for something like Limelight or The Spirit Of Radio.

If he plays the Rickenbacker on Xanadu the crowd will collectively shit their pants.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 3

That was a very interesting article. I love reading stuff like that.

I am not a musician, so I have to ask this dumb question (don't pelt me with tomatoes....please!!). Here is my dumb question -

Is their music really "complex"? :outtahere: :outtahere: :outtahere:

If he plays the Rickenbacker on Xanadu the crowd will collectively shit their pants.

:o I hope not.

:laughing guy: :LMAO: I don't know why

That'll be one hell of a shit break at the end of the song/start of the next song. If they followed Xanadu with Hemispheres then I think...actually I'll just stop right there.

• Like 3

I am not a musician, so I have to ask this dumb question (don't pelt me with tomatoes....please!!). Here is my dumb question -

Not a dumb question.

Yes, most people will agree with me when I say their music is complex, if not just for Neil's drum parts alone. All 3 members are exceptionally skilled at their instruments. This doesn't mean quite as much when you're someone like say...CC Deville from Poison, who is a great guitarist, but while his guitar playing is stellar, Poison's music isn't complex in the slightest, they're a glam metal band.

Back to Rush, where even though all 3 members are skilled at their instruments, they're capable of combining their virtuosity into one cohesive unit. Xanadu ( :wub: ) is an example. All 3 players' parts are complicated but they all mesh with each other perfectly in the song.

So yeah, I'd say Rush's music is very complex, some simpler than others for sure, such as Different Strings.

• Like 1

I'm going to bring over parts of that article to this thread because they were asked about their evolution as players/singers and also how much long they can hold out touring. It is interesting.

Okay, let’s talk bigger-picture stuff. Geddy, how would you describe Alex’s evolution as a musician up to this point?

Lee: I think he’s underappreciated for the kind of complexity he brings to his guitar playing. Not only is he an amazing soloist—and always has been—but he’s developed a very interesting rhythmic and harmonic style of chord creation. He’s constantly searching for ways of bringing more musicality into the chord itself, and he’s always experimenting with different tunings. I think he’s evolved into a very interesting and deep guitarist. Y’know, we grew up in a period when it was all about the soloist—he loved Jimmy Page and Ritchie Blackmore and all those guys—and of course he was very influenced by that and became a great soloist. But when you’re playing in a three-piece band, you have to develop good chops to help fill in the sound, be able to spread the chord out. And that’s kind of pushed him to develop a great sense of arpeggiation and developing the technical side, where he’s got all these layers of guitar sounds that he can draw upon to sound like more than one guitarist while he’s playing.

Alex, same question for you about Geddy.

Lifeson: As a singer, he’s evolved in many ways. He’s really become a singer. In the early days—and, again, it was a different time, a different physicality—he screamed more, he hit those high notes. That was the unique quality he had in the way he sang and how he delivered lyrics. Now I’m more drawn into the way he sings, particularly on this record. There’s something that’s very compelling in his singing—the nuances, how he translates lyrics into vocal parts. It’s really a skill, and I get to watch it all the time. He works really, really hard on it.

As a bass player, he’s always been amazing [laughs]. He blows me away when I sit and watch him play. I wouldn’t know how to quantify his evolution and development, because I think he’s always been very busy, he’s always been all over the place—but at the same time, he knows when to pull it back and, y’know, sit down and let everything circle around him.

Final question: In a recent Rolling Stone interview, Neil mused a bit about how much longer he can pound the drums with the sort of stamina that Rush requires. It seems ridiculous to think there will be a day anytime soon when he can’t crush most drummers on the planet, but what do you see for yourself whenever that day comes?

Lee: I didn’t see that interview, but I know what he’s getting at: How much longer can we go out there and play three-hour shows at that peak level. And I can see it in him. Last night, we were at the end of a very long day of rehearsing—I don’t think we’ve ever worked so hard prepping for a tour, we’ve really put in a serious amount of hours—and I could see he was tired. We were almost three hours into the set, and we were deciding whether to do one or two or three songs in the encore, and there comes a point when you just have to accept that you’re approaching 60 and that maybe three hours of blistering rock is for a younger man. That’s what he’s getting at. So maybe it’s just inevitable that Rush tours down the road—if all goes well and there are Rush tours—aren’t three hours long [laughs].

Lifeson: That’s a very valid, prurient question. We’re thinking about this all the time. Every time we go to rehearsals, I think, “Wow, this has really been hard work this time. Why has it been so difficult?” And I know why it’s been difficult—it’s not the physicality so much as it is the mental work required to put Clockwork Angels together, plus all this other material we’re doing, plus working with a string section—two cellos and six violins—which, by the way, is absolutely awesome. But, y’know, it’s hard for him. We’ve been rehearsing for seven weeks, and I think we’ve had four, maybe five days off in that period—plus, he started rehearsing a month before we did. So he’s been playing constantly for months now. He’s going to be 60 next week, and it is a huge toll. I mean, he has an amazing stamina and he’s a very strong individual, but what he does is very, very difficult and very demanding. Hopefully, we’ll get through this tour with no problems—I’d like to think that we will, and that’s certainly our plan.

But eventually, one day, we’re not going to be able to do it anymore. That’s a reality, and I don’t think we should get too caught up in it. When it happens it happens, and that’s it. We’ve had a great run, we’ve left a great legacy that we’re proud of, and who knows what’ll come after that? I mean, I think my fingers will still work for a little while longer [laughs]. I like to do stuff at home, to work with other people and continue to be musical, but there are other things in life, too—especially when you’ve dedicated so much of your life to touring. There’s no doubt that we absolutely love what we do, and we know that we’re very, very fortunate to have been able to do this. But eventually it does come to an end. I don’t want to be 70 years old jumping around onstage. Maybe if we’re still making great music, sure. But I kind of doubt it by that point. Most 70-year-old rock musicians I see now are not really that enjoyable to watch.

Plus, even though Neil is 60, most 25-year-olds can’t play what he plays.

Lee: Well, yeah … [laughs].

Lifeson: I agree with you—and most don’t. Maybe he was being reflective. Y’know, he has a young daughter, and we all have given up a lot being on the road, away from our families. I have two grandsons who I adore and love being with as much as I can be, and I’m fortunate that they feel the same way—so it kills me to be away from them. And I know it kills him to be away form his daughter and miss those formative years, and it’s tough for her, as well. So these things kind of eat away at you. But, at the same time, you feel a responsibility to your art and your partners, and so you do it.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Alex switches guitars quite a bit, especially lately. Geddy not so much, he normally picks a bass and plays the whole tour with it, and for the last eternity it's been the Jazz bass

Geddy switches often, just various years and models of Fender Jazz.

You won't see him use the Ric. Too heavy, which I can't understand as not much difference between them. Rics are love hate and not for everyone even if you used to own one. I use mine only part of the night, switching between five other basses. A lot buy them and never use, eventually selling because they take time to get used to. I can understand why he wouldn't want to use for one song after using Fenders all night. I myself hate Fenders. You won't see him go back to Wal or Steinburg. Fads and even back before Rics he was using Fenders.

As a bass player - YES IT IS!! Different time signatures ( will explain because your not a musician - your typical song is 4/4 - 1 bar or measure of music has divisable by 2 - 2 beats in a measure, 4, 8, 16, they will play for example 7/8, so 7 beats in two bars, 1-2-3,1-2-3-4 - it's like playing a polka and country song interchanged every bar) the speed played, intricate parts.

• Like 1

Geddy switches often, just various years and models of Fender Jazz.

You won't see him use the Ric. Too heavy, which I can't understand as not much difference between them. Rics are love hate and not for everyone even if you used to own one. I use mine only part of the night, switching between five other basses. A lot buy them and never use, eventually selling because they take time to get used to. I can understand why he wouldn't want to use for one song after using Fenders all night. I myself hate Fenders. You won't see him go back to Wal or Steinburg. Fads and even back before Rics he was using Fenders.

I don't mean to pry, but what basses do you play? What is it about Fenders that don't seem to work well for you?

What's the red one he uses for 2112?

What's the red one he uses for 2112?

If during CA tour, just a fender jazz

The one you're talking about is a Steinberger (black, rectangular body, headless). The Ric is the one he's seen mostly playing in the 70's (also in the Subdivisions video).

I don't think the Ric will make a comeback. I believe that Geddy took it out for Bangkok on the S&A tour for its swansong already.

He brought it out for Bangkok on the Snakes and Arrows tour, so it's not impossible. Considering the next tour will probably be an anniversary tour, I'd say it's a little more possible.

There's not a chance in hell that he'll give up the Jazz though. I expect to see him playing that all night.

Edit: the songs, right...probably some out of the vault track from the 70's. I don't expect him to do it for something like Limelight or The Spirit Of Radio.

More specificially, if he breaks out the Ric doubleneck on Xanadu!

I'd like to see the Wal again, that is a damn fine bass as well.