Dream Theater new DVD Teaser

Rod in Toronto

Didn't I just buy a DVD from them ??

They're gettin' like Rush. :wacko:

I know...most bands have one live album for every tour they make now. Maiden is another example.

I heard the reason why they filmed their current tour was because they wanted to document the "Evening With" format since it was the first time they've done one since the 20th Anniversary Tour and also the first time they ever done this with Mangini in the band.

I'm really looking forward to hearing the Awake and SFAM songs as well as Trial of Tears on this release more than the new songs to be honest...well except for Illumination Theory. :P

I just hope we get Trial of Tears without the Xanadu beginning. That gets pretty old.

And Petrucci was way way too loud for the Luna Park show (with Myung and Rudess getting completed drowned out in the process)

Whoah, wait just a minute- check this out in the notes:

"we saw the opportunity to perform together with the students of Berklee as a tremendous thrill and honor"

So what do those wanks jump up onstage and sing ACOS for James or something or are they going to be relegated to orchestra stuff like in Score?

Yeah, the Berklee Orchestra was relegated to orchestra stuff like Score. They performed the string parts for Illumination Theory as well as staying for the encore set. The orchestra were also joined by the Berklee Concert Choir during those songs as well. Every other show in which they played Illumination Theory, the parts are triggered by Jordan.

I met several fans at the DT show I attended that were also at the Boston show including a fan who goes to Berklee and is friends with the guy who conducted the orchestra. One of the quirks of the show I found out from them was that there were playbills handed out to the audience which was filled with factoids like the names of the members of the orchestra, and even the director of the DVD shooting (it's the same guy who did R30 and Snakes and Arrows: Live). The playbill also included a print out of the entire setlist so if you had the playbill and didn't know/want to know the setlist you basically unintentionally spoiled yourself!

Didn't I just buy a DVD from them ??

They're gettin' like Rush. :wacko:

I know...most bands have one live album for every tour they make now. Maiden is another example.

I heard the reason why they filmed their current tour was because they wanted to document the "Evening With" format since it was the first time they've done one since the 20th Anniversary Tour and also the first time they ever done this with Mangini in the band.

Oh I'll no doubt buy it. :D

Apparently the original video was uploaded with Mono sound and a boo-boo of an edit during Petrucci's solo. Here's a re-upload of the video with stereo sound and the fixed edit during JP's solo.

Sound even more live than original video if that even makes sense...

• Like 2

Man i love how this show appears to be edited. No jumping around like we have ADD......very very nice. Take a freakin' note Rush.

Mick

To a point, I agree. But if this song's any indication there's still not enough Myung, both visually and sonically. He's barely there in the Luna Park DVD too- Do you think it's intentional? I mean, he's never really been a big fan of the spotlight or at least it appears. Could he have asked them to focus 90% of the footage on Petrucci for these?

Man i love how this show appears to be edited. No jumping around like we have ADD......very very nice. Take a freakin' note Rush.

Mick

To a point, I agree. But if this song's any indication there's still not enough Myung, both visually and sonically. He's barely there in the Luna Park DVD too- Do you think it's intentional? I mean, he's never really been a big fan of the spotlight or at least it appears. Could he have asked them to focus 90% of the footage on Petrucci for these?

It's a safe bet. It's a shame cause he's a wicked musician. Not everybody likes the attention though,. And Peteucci.....lol. Can't complain cause the dude can play. I'd take him over portnoy playing standing up or spiting water or death growls or just trying to be a front man drummer.

Mick

Mick

I'm really looking forward to hearing the Awake and SFAM songs as well as Trial of Tears on this release more than the new songs to be honest...well except for Illumination Theory. :P

I just hope we get Trial of Tears without the Xanadu beginning. That gets pretty old.

And Petrucci was way way too loud for the Luna Park show (with Myung and Rudess getting completed drowned out in the process)

Xanadu was a no go for this tour.

Xanadu was a no go for this tour.

Didn't recall hearing the Xanadu-esque riff when I saw them. The intro on this tour sounded similar to one at Live at Budokan if you ask me.

I put on Live at Luna Park at work today and let it play on the background, checking it out every now and then. I'm slowly warming up to having Mangini on board. His work on a few songs from Portnoy is awesome!!!
  • Like 2

I understand that and agree 100%. I just had a very hard time with accepting the change, since Portnoy was a huge part if why I got into DT in the first place.

i really enjoyed the Portnoy years until mike's ego grew and he started strangling then with his Wanting to be Opeth or something. And the more he shows how he can't move on......the less i like him. Portnoy's his own biggest fan ya know, lol

Mick

i really enjoyed the Portnoy years until mike's ego grew and he started strangling then with his Wanting to be Opeth or something. And the more he shows how he can't move on......the less i like him. Portnoy's his own biggest fan ya know, lol

Mick

You talked about how he can't move on...well I don't want to put the full quote up here, so I'll leave this article instead.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-on-possibility-of-reunion-with-dream-theater-if-i-was-a-betting-man-i-wouldnt-put-money-on-it/#6w6YvrqpROeIoUHE.99

Mick

You talked about how he can't move on...well I don't want to put the full quote up here, so I'll leave this article instead.

http://www.blabbermo...vrqpROeIoUHE.99

Well he's doing greaat with Flying Colors.....which is a SICK band......so i really hope he can be happy.......i respect his body of work, it's just his attitude. I really do hope he finds happiness in other projects

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

He's done worse interviews than this one...

I remember one just after he left. where he said something to the effect of.......i was the captain of that ship........i made all the major decisions. now.......even if that were true he still came off as a major tool.

Mick