Alex LIfeson in jail 2004, what really happened?

YYZumbi

Cops is the south florida area can be real pricks, I've seen it. The following is a conversation I witnessed the last time I was in Fort Lauderdale involving two couples on holiday....

Bartender: (at about 1:55 am) LAST CALL

Man: We'll have two beers each (8 beers)

Bartender: (at about 1:59 am) Here are your beers

Cop: Enters bar and announces its closed, "Everybody out"

Man: I just ordered these beers, we're staying to drink them

Cop: Strikes man across the back of his legs with a club, takes him down and cuffs him

Wife: What are you doing? he didn't do anything?

Cop: Takes wife down and cuffs her.

As a seasoned traveller in Florida I can tell you that occurrences like that happen regularly. Cops are arrogant and usually amped up, steroid taking weightlifting bullies. I can totally see Alex's side of that story.

• Like 4

Cliff Notes Version: New Year's Eve party. Alex' son apparently went on stage when he should not have (alcohol involved). Cops and/or security intervened at the request of the hotel staff and it all got a little gruff. Alex tried to intervene (again, alcohol involved). Alex ended up with a broken nose and was tased multiple times (because, you know, that kind of force is needed when someone has a little too much to drink at a hotel party on New Year's Eve - sarcastic font there). Alex and his son eventually plead down to misdemeanor charges. The hotel later agreed to a confidential settlement with Lifeson and his family. Translation: Alex and his son probably weren't their best behaved that night, but the hotel and/or cops/security likely weren't either. All too often, we try to say this side was right and that side was wrong, but we forget to leave space for the possibility that both sides made mistakes.

If VH1 ever brings back "Behind the Music" and does an episode on Rush, this part will be the lone "bad boy rock star moment" in a 40+ year career.... it would be a very boring episode, I think.

Supposedly, Lexrst is a victim of police brutality. I think his son got in trouble with the law and as soon as Alex showed up, the cops swarmed Alex and began to beat him within an inch of his life. They then proceeded to throw him in jail.

What does this have to do with Rush and their music?

If nothing else, it proves that Rush really are "Rulers Under Satan's Hand" and that listening to their music will lead you down the same path. Be safe. Stick with the Osmonds.

The Osmonds??!!! Haven't you heard about them? You're not even safe with them! :ph34r:

• Like 1

I saw this video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgGJhaCS6WA

I know that he had some problems with the law, back in 2003-2004, but Im not really sure what happened.

Someone that could please tell me?

Going from memory here...Alex and family (and friends?) were at a club...Alex and family (and friends) were pretty well lubricated with booze. At one point Alex's son started heckling the band and subsequently the Lifeson party was asked to leave...son got belligerent (in a "don't you know who I am" sort of way)...cops were called...son continued to be belligerent...cops used strong-arm tactics to remove son...Alex stepped in to intervene...got his ass kicked by the cops and hauled off to jail.

• Like 1

Cliff Notes Version: New Year's Eve party. Alex' son apparently went on stage when he should not have (alcohol involved). Cops and/or security intervened at the request of the hotel staff and it all got a little gruff. Alex tried to intervene (again, alcohol involved). Alex ended up with a broken nose and was tased multiple times (because, you know, that kind of force is needed when someone has a little too much to drink at a hotel party on New Year's Eve - sarcastic font there). Alex and his son eventually plead down to misdemeanor charges. The hotel later agreed to a confidential settlement with Lifeson and his family. Translation: Alex and his son probably weren't their best behaved that night, but the hotel and/or cops/security likely weren't either. All too often, we try to say this side was right and that side was wrong, but we forget to leave space for the possibility that both sides made mistakes.

If VH1 ever brings back "Behind the Music" and does an episode on Rush, this part will be the lone "bad boy rock star moment" in a 40+ year career.... it would be a very boring episode, I think.

Some day I'll learn to read a thread all the way through before posting. :)

• Like 1

What does this have to do with Rush and their music?

If nothing else, it proves that Rush really are "Rulers Under Satan's Hand" and that listening to their music will lead you down the same path. Be safe. Stick with the Osmonds.

This is funny because the Osmonds were my first "favorite band" when I was 8 years old. By the time I was 12 I had discovered Sabbath and Zeppelin. In 1976, at 14, I sold my soul to RUSH! I still hold the RED STAR proudly high in hand! :haz:

I saw this video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgGJhaCS6WA

I know that he had some problems with the law, back in 2003-2004, but Im not really sure what happened.

Someone that could please tell me?

Going from memory here...Alex and family (and friends?) were at a club...Alex and family (and friends) were pretty well lubricated with booze. At one point Alex's son started heckling the band and subsequently the Lifeson party was asked to leave...son got belligerent (in a "don't you know who I am" sort of way)...cops were called...son continued to be belligerent...cops used strong-arm tactics to remove son...Alex stepped in to intervene...got his ass kicked by the cops and hauled off to jail.

Thanks for answering!

Thanks for your answer!

Cops is the south florida area can be real pricks, I've seen it. The following is a conversation I witnessed the last time I was in Fort Lauderdale involving two couples on holiday....

Bartender: (at about 1:55 am) LAST CALL

Man: We'll have two beers each (8 beers)

Bartender: (at about 1:59 am) Here are your beers

Cop: Enters bar and announces its closed, "Everybody out"

Man: I just ordered these beers, we're staying to drink them

Cop: Strikes man across the back of his legs with a club, takes him down and cuffs him

Wife: What are you doing? he didn't do anything?

Cop: Takes wife down and cuffs her.

As a seasoned traveller in Florida I can tell you that occurrences like that happen regularly. Cops are arrogant and usually amped up, steroid taking weightlifting bullies. I can totally see Alex's side of that story.

it's true and they love celebrities too. everyone from Jim Morison to Justin Bieber..

"He was drunk off his ass mouthing off to the police trying to drunkenly stand up for his belligerent drunken son in a drunken stupor and subsequently got the drunken sh*t beat out himself. "

Mostly true I guess, but it's also true that the hotel manager or concierge of whoever was a total lying d*ck who made a false report to the police about the extent and nature of the Lifesons' shenanigans, thus the police showed up expecting to find a totally belligerent a-hole and found enough of one (or two) to seemingly confirm the report they had received, and reacted accordingly. A judge found that the police acted reasonably considering what they had been told beforehand and what they found when they got here. What they had been told by the hotel though, was largely misleading and subject to criminal prosecution with a good chance of success, and hence really bad publicity for the hotel, and thus the hotel paid off the Lifeson's to let it rest.

Moral. Stupid a-holes all-around. Who would have guessed at a Miami hotel bar on New Year's?

• Like 1