Quintessential Rush Song?

Geddy's Soul Patch

Geddy has said it is TS. Understandable, given the fact it is likely the one Rush song every person with even limited knowledge of AOR knows and, truly, it has all the elements. But I have to agree with the bulk of responses in that, if you remove TS from consideration, it is TSOR. And, if I am completely honest with all of you, TSOR is the one song that will make me go Volkswagen Fly By Night commercial every single time I hear it. But I also agree with the notion it is hard to limit them to one song given all the eras.
  • Like 1

I'd have to define it by eras. It can't be just one.

70's—Anthem

80'S—Tom Sawyer

90's—Stick it Out

00's—Sadly zero. If I had to pick one—Ghost Rider

10's—Headlong Flight

I sort of agree, but I'd split it up evenly:

Bluesy Era (1974-75): Working Man

Epic Era (1975-78): 2112

Mainstream Era (1980-81): Tom Sawyer

Synth Era (1982-87): Subdivisions

Return of the Guitar (1989-96): Dreamline

Present Era (2002- ): Headlong Flight

• Like 4

Some have mentioned Headlong Flight, but i prefer by far the title track. I can't pick one essential when this band has 20 albums and more than half are excellent. If you mean by essential influential, it could be tracks that are on albums that have been a breakthrough for the band like 2112, AFTK, and i agree with the Garden lately, because it shows the maturity reach by the band in terms of songwriting. If we mean essential by the popularity, Spirit of Radio is a candidate with Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions etc.

70's—Anthem

80'S—Tom Sawyer

90's—Stick it Out

10's—Headlong Flight

It's hard to argue with that list. I think some could throw in Xanadu for the epic era (less mainstream radio, but very "Rush"). Likewise, I have mentioned exchanging Spirit for Tom Sayer. Present Era, though, is a bit of a toss up. Headlong Flight (or, as a friend of mine and I call it "Guess the Time Signature") is definitely a "Rush song" in terms of style and mechanics, but I think there's a definite degree of consideration for The Garden. It is very different than a lot of the band's catalog, but I also think there is a reason it resonates with so many of us fans a little longer in the tooth. In some ways, then, it's definitive of their time on earth and work... which is sort of the point of the song!

• Like 2

70's—Anthem

80'S—Tom Sawyer

90's—Stick it Out

10's—Headlong Flight

Worst Produced Era (2002- ): Headlong Flight

Fixed..... :)

70's—Anthem

80'S—Tom Sawyer

90's—Stick it Out

10's—Headlong Flight

This is actually pretty much a perfect list. Agreed with every one, except maybe Working Man (I'd say maybe FBN).

Edited by len(songs)

I'd say for the first half of their career, it'd be The Trees. It's got geeky lyrics, an art-rock classical guitar intro, squeaky vocals, bombastic drumming and bass interplay, an obligatory keyboard interlude, non 4/4 time sigs, and an extended instrumental section. Structurally, it's nearly identical to AFtK, so that too might be a good candidate.

For the last half of their career, I'm a bit at a loss...possibly Armor and Sword. It's mid-tempo drudgery with shoe-horned preachy lyrics, an incomprehensible wall of guitars, and comes off better live than it does in the studio.

• Like 1

I think some could throw in Xanadu for the epic era (less mainstream radio, but very "Rush").

I don't know about it being less mainstream, the Canadian radio stations around here play Xanadu all the time! They even played 2112 every so often.

• Like 2

Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio. Maybe 2112.

Add Xanadu and you've got the four obvious candidates, IMO.

I guess it would have to be the entire 2112 epic track, if that counts as one song.

Can't disagree. Just an observation over 11 months time. It kind of surprises me that it is not held in higher esteem around here. But I love both sides so..... :huh:

70's—Anthem

80'S—Tom Sawyer

90's—Stick it Out

00's—One Little Victory

10's—Headlong Flight

Fixed that for you.

Xanadu. It's their eternal anthem.

If you put a gun to my head, I would say that, or 2112.

When you have a career as celebrated and as vast as Rush's, it is virtually impossible to encapsulate that in just one song.

I have to say Xanadu. It's just got everything that makes Rush, Rush. Clean chimey goodness traded off with powerful chords and great licks, big fat synths, great bass work, awesome vocals of imaginative, fantasy lyrics and drums with all the bells and whistles.

Also what makes Rush, Rush is their disregard for time limits, long intros and multi-instruments (double necks, pedals, etc.)

My vote: Xanadu

• Like 4

Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio. Maybe 2112.

Add Xanadu and you've got the four obvious candidates, IMO.

Add La Villa though it's an instrumental; it's noted by too many real musicians as their favorite Rush song to leave out. Out of the five though, I'll add a vote for Xanadu.

I think some could throw in Xanadu for the epic era (less mainstream radio, but very "Rush").

I don't know about it being less mainstream, the Canadian radio stations around here play Xanadu all the time! They even played 2112 every so often.

I grew up in St. Louis, like most of the Midwest, a Rush stronghold, as well as home of the *once* mighty K-SHE 95 (may the old, meaningful and relevant medium of radio rest in peace). Our airwaves got a lot of Working Man, 2112/Syrinx, Closer to the Heart, Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Red Barchetta, Signals, and New World Man. Every now and then, we got Fly By Night, the entirety of 2112, and Xanadu, but usually only late at night, when the DJ was called to play a long song. I would imagine that Rush gets a bit more airplay in Canada, though.... :)

Natural Science. Contained just about every element of what Rush was at the time, what they were before, and what they would become.

What they would become? Example?

Edited by Rutlefan

Headlong Flight, probably by definition. Doesn't it contain a lot of bits and pieces(I don't know the musical terms) from other hits? Like, I know for a fact, the beginning sounds the same as the beginning of bastille day. Edited by Aikenrooster

Headlong Flight. There are songs I like better, but this is a great song and it seems to be one of the few that both early and late Rush fans agree on.

Headlong Flight, probably by definition. Doesn't contain a lot of bits and pieces(I don't know the musical terms) from other hits? Like, I know for a fact, it sounds similar to the beginning of bastille day.

Minor fixed. :)

Headlong Flight, probably by definition. Doesn't contain a lot of bits and pieces(I don't know the musical terms) from other hits? Like, I know for a fact, it sounds similar to the beginning of bastille day.

Minor fixed. :)

Fixed better for my sanity..... :)