Push and Pull Vol Nobs

Pars123

Hello, I have a Epiphone Les Paul standard. It has those push and pull volume nobs and honestly I'm a bit confused on what it actually does. I can hear a sound difference but what does it actually do? Thank you in advance!

Hello, I have a Epiphone Les Paul standard. It has those push and pull volume nobs and honestly I'm a bit confused on what it actually does. I can hear a sound difference but what does it actually do? Thank you in advance!

They deal with the pickups. A lot of times what one will do is switch the pickup it's wired to single-coil mode when you pull the pot, as opposed to full humbucker when it's pushed down.

You can do all sorts of things with push-pull pots. One of my axes has a pseudo-killswitch on it. When I switch the tone lever to full neck pickup and pull the pot it's wired to it kills the sound on the guitar. Pretty neat.

Just curious, what model LP do you have and how many pots?

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 2

Not anymore. Many Les Pauls have been shipping this way for a few years.
  • Like 2

They deal with the pickups. A lot of times what one will do is switch the pickup it's wired to single-coil mode when you pull the pot, as opposed to full humbucker when it's pushed down.

You can do all sorts of things with push-pull pots. One of my axes has a pseudo-killswitch on it. When I switch the tone lever to full neck pickup and pull the pot it's wired to it kills the sound on the guitar. Pretty neat.

Just curious, what model LP do you have and how many pots?

That's very cool! Thank you! It's a Custom Shop. And I have 2! The two volume nobs!

I think I have those Seymour Duncan humbucker Pick ups. I'm a beginner at playing guitar so my knowledge of parts and stuff isn't very wide! Edited by Pars123

The pickups on the coil tapped Epiphone Les Paul Standard PRO have Pro-Bucker pickups which are likely Epiphone versions of Gibson BurstBuckers.
  • Like 1

The pickups on the coil tapped Epiphone Les Paul Standard PRO have Pro-Bucker pickups which are likely Epiphone versions of Gibson BurstBuckers.

Burstbuckers sound nice, but I have yet to find anything that sounds better than my Alnico 496R/500T combo (Explorer standard) for what I play. Hot as hell but with the right love everything comes in clear.

• Like 1

Burstbuckers sound nice, but I have yet to find anything that sounds better than my Alnico 496R/500T combo (Explorer standard) for what I play. Hot as hell but with the right love everything comes in clear.

Record yourself, man. I want to hear how they sound!

Record yourself, man. I want to hear how they sound!

Need to get some actual time on my hands with that college thing starting up again.

Also need the proper tools/cords and software without me spending an arm and a leg...

Edited by BowlCity

Ahhh this stuff can be expensive! But it's so much fun! Thank you everybody for all the info and replies! Obviously Epiphones Les Pauls aren't as good as their Gibson counterparts, but I still think they sound pretty damn good!

Ahhh this stuff can be expensive! But it's so much fun! Thank you everybody for all the info and replies! Obviously Epiphones Les Pauls aren't as good as their Gibson counterparts, but I still think they sound pretty damn good!

Don't worry about that. Real Les Pauls may sound a little better, but not enough to begin to justify the difference in price.

• Like 3

Don't worry about that. Real Les Pauls may sound a little better, but not enough to begin to justify the difference in price.

When you buy a Gibson over an Epi you're buying it for the name on the headstock and maybe slightly better looks, like better binding. Any sound quality differences because of better wood or other nitpicky stuff like that isn't worth paying all the extra money.

If it's better pickups you're worried about then you're better off buying a pair you like off the Internet and either learning to how to wire them (like I did) or getting someone to do it for you. Saves a lot of money.

• Like 2

When you buy a Gibson over an Epi you're buying it for the name on the headstock and maybe slightly better looks, like better binding. Any sound quality differences because of better wood or other nitpicky stuff like that isn't worth paying all the extra money.

If it's better pickups you're worried about then you're better off buying a pair you like off the Internet and either learning to how to wire them (like I did) or getting someone to do it for you. Saves a lot of money.

Exactly, my young friend! Buy the less expensive guitar, then get the after market pickups if you want better tone.

• Like 1

Well, as an owner of both Gibson and Epiphones the Gibson is nicer in a lot of ways. It feels more substantial. The neck and fretboard especially feel more quality on the Gibson. There are some discrepancies. My Epiphone Les Paul sounds more like an SG and the angles are not as sharp as the Gibson. I liked the stock pickups on the Epi more than the BurstBuckers that came on my Gibson, but I replaced them with 57 Classics and all is good. The maple "tops" on Epiphones are veneer laminates, not a book matched solid piece. The wood quality is also noticeable. Epiphones are nice, but when compared directly Gibsons win out.

They are overpriced. Scout for deals. The best time is Guitar Center's Labor Day sale. Be the first guy there at 6 AM. That's how I got mine.

Well, as an owner of both Gibson and Epiphones the Gibson is nicer in a lot of ways. It feels more substantial. The neck and fretboard especially feel more quality on the Gibson. There are some discrepancies. My Epiphone Les Paul sounds more like an SG and the angles are not as sharp as the Gibson. I liked the stock pickups on the Epi more than the BurstBuckers that came on my Gibson, but I replaced them with 57 Classics and all is good. The maple "tops" on Epiphones are veneer laminates, not a book matched solid piece. The wood quality is also noticeable. Epiphones are nice, but when compared directly Gibsons win out.

They are overpriced. Scout for deals. The best time is Guitar Center's Labor Day sale. Be the first guy there at 6 AM. That's how I got mine.

My dad's promised me a Gibson LP as a present for graduating college. This is probably what we'll do unless they got something crazy going on for Memorial Day.

Memorial Day, not Labor Day. They have a list of gear that is handed out. I am good friends with a GC drum guy and I got to see the list the night before so snoop around. I got my standard for $1100 down from $1800+ at the time (2007). They had two PRS for similar prices. So if you know a store with gear that has been around too long or know somebody for intel that will help but I cannot stress enough being the first person in line. Having my friend only helped make it faster but I had to know where it was as well as let the cashier guy know I was going after it. As mine was being rung up the guy behind asked about it, 30 seconds late. He ended up with both PRS.

Memorial Day, not Labor Day. They have a list of gear that is handed out. I am good friends with a GC drum guy and I got to see the list the night before so snoop around. I got my standard for $1100 down from $1800+ at the time (2007). They had two PRS for similar prices. So if you know a store with gear that has been around too long or know somebody for intel that will help but I cannot stress enough being the first person in line. Having my friend only helped make it faster but I had to know where it was as well as let the cashier guy know I was going after it. As mine was being rung up the guy behind asked about it, 30 seconds late. He ended up with both PRS.

Poor guy.

• Like 1

My point is guys can flip a good deal into a free guitar. Honestly though, neither of those were that nice despite being half off.
  • Like 1