I finally "get" side 1 of Hemispheres

Pale Facsimile

Me too......it is now my fav epic. The key for me.....as simple as it sounds was headphones. Then it clicked.

Mick

I agree with the headphones. Listening to how the sound is panned out really emphasizes the music.

Same with Presto. Listening to it on headphones really makes it shine.

I agree. It amazes me how many folks think its thin and not good at all frankly. I think at least 8-9 songs out of 11 are really good and sound well produced to my ears..... :huh:

I have heard it countless times on headphones when I was out and about but never paid any attention on a conscious level. I just loved the music but now I know there might be more to it. Will pay closer attention next time :)

Me too......it is now my fav epic. The key for me.....as simple as it sounds was headphones. Then it clicked.

Mick

I agree with the headphones. Listening to how the sound is panned out really emphasizes the music.

I agree. It amazes me how many folks think its thin and not good at all frankly. I think at least 8-9 songs out of 11 are really good and sound well produced to my ears..... :huh:

I have heard it countless times on headphones when I was out and about but never paid any attention on a conscious level. I just loved the music but now I know there might be more to it. Will pay closer attention next time :)

Clockwork Angels is a much better experience on headphones.

• Like 3

Mick

The mix is missing the thundering bottom end we're used to from Lee and Peart, but there is so much going on in other parts of the frequency range, that, for me at least, make it a real pleasure to listen to (on phones). I just tell myself, "this isn't Rush, but some other really good band that happens to have a singer that sounds a lot like Geddy".

Edited by JARG

Mick

Yeah, forget the songs, forget it's Rush, and just listen to it from a production perspective. Then once that has hit you, the next time you listen to it you can pay attention to the songs and (hopefully) enjoy them all the more.

Mick

I'll say one thing as I am/was admittedly a Rush 74'-85' fan I can't believe how good most of HYF and Presto are and I missed it 25 plus years ago. Second Nature may be in my top 10 songs by them all time already. Gives me chills every time I hear it in a similar way that In The End live always has..... Edited by Narpski
  • Like 2

Mick

I'll say one thing as I am am/was admittedly a Rush 74'-85' fan I can't believe how good most of HYF and Presto are and I missed it 25 plus years ago. Second Nature may be in my top 10 songs be them all time already. Gives me chills every time I hear it in a similar way that In The End live always has.....

You just made me bust out my Presto and HYF records! :yes:

• Like 1

Sorry for the long, boring story you're about to read...I've been a pretty big RUSH fan since May of 2005, when a friend from college turned me on to them. I obviously started with the big hits, and slowly worked my way deeper into the catalog. A lot of it is tough to digest if you try to do it all at once, so I let myself progress a few songs at a time. Even side 1 of 2112 took me a while to warm up to, having just listened to Overture/Temples for a couple years...purchasing Different Stages was what made me realize the amazing beauty of the full-length 2112 suite. Over the 9 years I've been a fan, my favorite album has shifted from Moving Pictures to Permanent Waves, to Power Windows, then Clockwork Angels, then back to Power Windows...I'm at the point where I love so many RUSH songs, that I don't even HAVE a favorite album. For the most part, I've always liked "side 2" of Hemispheres (though I do prefer the S&A Live version of Circumstances), but Side 1, Cygnus X-1 Book II, has always eluded me. The epic suites have just taken a while for me to absorb. I still am not a Caress of Steel guy at all (but enjoy Bastille Day...and at age 31, I AM going bald, so I'm definitely not a fan of ITIGB!).

Anyway, my knowledge of Book II: Hemispheres was, for the longest time, limited to the bit from the R30 medley. I tried a few times over the years, but just couldn't get through all 18 minutes. Then early this summer, I started listening to "Prelude" from the View from the Palace 1994 show on Youtube. I quickly got hooked on that. One day after work, I had some time to kill, and said "what the heck, let's give the full 18 minutes a shot!" Having gone through two break-ups this year (the first of which was the end of a 9-year relationship; the second being an incredibly stupid rebound with 36-year-old alcoholic), and having a history of doubting myself in the eyes of girls, I realized just how much I could relate to "the struggle between brain and heart." Not only was the subject matter close-to-home, but the music effing kicks ass!!! I'd say that for the past month, I've probably listened to the full Cygnus Book II suite once a day. I get it now! :yes:

This is the strangest post I've ever seen on the forum.

Sorry for the long, boring story you're about to read...I've been a pretty big RUSH fan since May of 2005, when a friend from college turned me on to them. I obviously started with the big hits, and slowly worked my way deeper into the catalog. A lot of it is tough to digest if you try to do it all at once, so I let myself progress a few songs at a time. Even side 1 of 2112 took me a while to warm up to, having just listened to Overture/Temples for a couple years...purchasing Different Stages was what made me realize the amazing beauty of the full-length 2112 suite. Over the 9 years I've been a fan, my favorite album has shifted from Moving Pictures to Permanent Waves, to Power Windows, then Clockwork Angels, then back to Power Windows...I'm at the point where I love so many RUSH songs, that I don't even HAVE a favorite album. For the most part, I've always liked "side 2" of Hemispheres (though I do prefer the S&A Live version of Circumstances), but Side 1, Cygnus X-1 Book II, has always eluded me. The epic suites have just taken a while for me to absorb. I still am not a Caress of Steel guy at all (but enjoy Bastille Day...and at age 31, I AM going bald, so I'm definitely not a fan of ITIGB!).

Anyway, my knowledge of Book II: Hemispheres was, for the longest time, limited to the bit from the R30 medley. I tried a few times over the years, but just couldn't get through all 18 minutes. Then early this summer, I started listening to "Prelude" from the View from the Palace 1994 show on Youtube. I quickly got hooked on that. One day after work, I had some time to kill, and said "what the heck, let's give the full 18 minutes a shot!" Having gone through two break-ups this year (the first of which was the end of a 9-year relationship; the second being an incredibly stupid rebound with 36-year-old alcoholic), and having a history of doubting myself in the eyes of girls, I realized just how much I could relate to "the struggle between brain and heart." Not only was the subject matter close-to-home, but the music effing kicks ass!!! I'd say that for the past month, I've probably listened to the full Cygnus Book II suite once a day. I get it now! :yes:

You should get around to some of the other subforums some time. ;)

• Like 1

Whew :sigh: . I thought it might have been one of mine..... :D
  • Like 1

Mick

I'll say one thing as I am am/was admittedly a Rush 74'-85' fan I can't believe how good most of HYF and Presto are and I missed it 25 plus years ago. Second Nature may be in my top 10 songs be them all time already. Gives me chills every time I hear it in a similar way that In The End live always has.....

The thing with HYF is that the louder you play it the better it sounds. Prime Mover is an awesome song! Thanks for reminding me of those records, it had been a while since last I heard them.

Mick

The thing with HYF is that the louder you play it the better it sounds. Prime Mover is an awesome song! Thanks for reminding me of those records, it had been a while since last I heard them.

Just listen to the first 8 songs and stop and you will be fine...... :)

what's so strange about it? you must be new.

You should get around to some of the other subforums some time. ;)

Ummm...I DO, thanks. But I still stand by what I said.

Of course you do.

Mick

Just listen to the first 8 songs and stop and you will be fine...... :)

Haha yes, the album ends with Tai Shan for me too ;)

• Like 1

Mick

It amazes me how many folks think its thin and not good at all

I think it is good but I also think it sounds thin. Geddy's bass has no punch and Neil's drums are just... thin.

That's what it means to sound thin Narp. Really lacking in the cojones

what's so strange about it?

It's not the discussion of the progression of his taste in Rush music; that's all fine and good...it's the inclusion of his self-image with regard to women, the mention of a rebound relationship with someone who he felt compelled to tell us all was an alcoholic...

It's just...absolutely bizarre.

you must be new.

Right...I've been on the forum for about two and a half years, and I've been a fan (to put it mildly) of Rush music for 35 years...

Yeah. I'm new. :eyeroll:

Mick

It amazes me how many folks think its thin and not good at all

I think it is good but I also think it sounds thin. Geddy's bass has no punch and Neil's drums are just... thin.

That's what it means to sound thin Narp. Really lacking in the cojones

Well thin is in in this case because I enjoy it....
  • Like 3

I'm the first to complain about production. Presto's never ever bothered me. I think Neil's drum sound on that record is freakin' awesome.

Mick

I don't hear anything missing and what I do hear is loud and clear.....
  • Like 2

I'm the first to complain about production. Presto's never ever bothered me. I think Neil's drum sound on that record is freakin' awesome.

Mick

I don't hear anything missing and what I do hear is loud and clear.....

Right take Presto. then listen to CA immidiatly after. i'll take Presto. least i can distinguish instruments, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

It's not the discussion of the progression of his taste in Rush music; that's all fine and good...it's the inclusion of his self-image with regard to women, the mention of a rebound relationship with someone who he felt compelled to tell us all was an alcoholic...

you must be new.

Right...I've been on the forum for about two and a half years, and I've been a fan (to put it mildly) of Rush music for 35 years...

I know your not new, but I've been here 7 years and this isn't even a blip on my radar compared to some of the bizarre posts I've seen.

you must be new.

I know your not new, but I've been here 7 years and this isn't even a blip on my radar compared to some of the bizarre posts I've seen.

:codger: :)
  • Like 1