I finally "get" side 1 of Hemispheres

Pale Facsimile

Sorry for the long, boring story you're about to read...I've been a pretty big RUSH fan since May of 2005, when a friend from college turned me on to them. I obviously started with the big hits, and slowly worked my way deeper into the catalog. A lot of it is tough to digest if you try to do it all at once, so I let myself progress a few songs at a time. Even side 1 of 2112 took me a while to warm up to, having just listened to Overture/Temples for a couple years...purchasing Different Stages was what made me realize the amazing beauty of the full-length 2112 suite. Over the 9 years I've been a fan, my favorite album has shifted from Moving Pictures to Permanent Waves, to Power Windows, then Clockwork Angels, then back to Power Windows...I'm at the point where I love so many RUSH songs, that I don't even HAVE a favorite album. For the most part, I've always liked "side 2" of Hemispheres (though I do prefer the S&A Live version of Circumstances), but Side 1, Cygnus X-1 Book II, has always eluded me. The epic suites have just taken a while for me to absorb. I still am not a Caress of Steel guy at all (but enjoy Bastille Day...and at age 31, I AM going bald, so I'm definitely not a fan of ITIGB!).

Anyway, my knowledge of Book II: Hemispheres was, for the longest time, limited to the bit from the R30 medley. I tried a few times over the years, but just couldn't get through all 18 minutes. Then early this summer, I started listening to "Prelude" from the View from the Palace 1994 show on Youtube. I quickly got hooked on that. One day after work, I had some time to kill, and said "what the heck, let's give the full 18 minutes a shot!" Having gone through two break-ups this year (the first of which was the end of a 9-year relationship; the second being an incredibly stupid rebound with 36-year-old alcoholic), and having a history of doubting myself in the eyes of girls, I realized just how much I could relate to "the struggle between brain and heart." Not only was the subject matter close-to-home, but the music effing kicks ass!!! I'd say that for the past month, I've probably listened to the full Cygnus Book II suite once a day. I get it now! :yes:

• Like 11

Sorry for the long, boring story you're about to read...I've been a pretty big RUSH fan since May of 2005, when a friend from college turned me on to them. I obviously started with the big hits, and slowly worked my way deeper into the catalog. A lot of it is tough to digest if you try to do it all at once, so I let myself progress a few songs at a time. Even side 1 of 2112 took me a while to warm up to, having just listened to Overture/Temples for a couple years...purchasing Different Stages was what made me realize the amazing beauty of the full-length 2112 suite. Over the 9 years I've been a fan, my favorite album has shifted from Moving Pictures to Permanent Waves, to Power Windows, then Clockwork Angels, then back to Power Windows...I'm at the point where I love so many RUSH songs, that I don't even HAVE a favorite album. For the most part, I've always liked "side 2" of Hemispheres (though I do prefer the S&A Live version of Circumstances), but Side 1, Cygnus X-1 Book II, has always eluded me. The epic suites have just taken a while for me to absorb. I still am not a Caress of Steel guy at all (but enjoy Bastille Day...and at age 31, I AM going bald, so I'm definitely not a fan of ITIGB!).

Anyway, my knowledge of Book II: Hemispheres was, for the longest time, limited to the bit from the R30 medley. I tried a few times over the years, but just couldn't get through all 18 minutes. Then early this summer, I started listening to "Prelude" from the View from the Palace 1994 show on Youtube. I quickly got hooked on that. One day after work, I had some time to kill, and said "what the heck, let's give the full 18 minutes a shot!" Having gone through two break-ups this year (the first of which was the end of a 9-year relationship; the second being an incredibly stupid rebound with 36-year-old alcoholic), and having a history of doubting myself in the eyes of girls, I realized just how much I could relate to "the struggle between brain and heart." Not only was the subject matter close-to-home, but the music effing kicks ass!!! I'd say that for the past month, I've probably listened to the full Cygnus Book II suite once a day. I get it now! :yes:

Have you worked your way up to listening to Books I & II together, to get the whole story? I love hearing it all together!

• Like 3

congratulations Pale F! you are now spinning uncontrolably into a black hole called "hardcore Rush addiction".. next stop; 'The Fountain of Lamneth' welcome :)
  • Like 5

Have you worked your way up to listening to Books I & II together, to get the whole story? I love hearing it all together!

Yes! I've always liked Book I...and there is a Youtube clip that's both songs back-to-back, which is something like 29 minutes...so every once in a while, I do listen to I & II back-to-back! :)

• Like 2

congratulations Pale F! you are now spinning uncontrolably into a black hole called "hardcore Rush addiction".. next stop; 'The Fountain of Lamneth' welcome :)

Thanks! It DOES feel like I've reached a new level of RUSH appreciation. Almost feel like I'm aboard the Rocinante!!! I love that their catalog is so deep that nine years later, I'm STILL "discovering" songs I hadn't noticed before. The past couple years, I've been obsessed with Middletown Dreams and Prime Mover. I'd never really given Grand Designs or The Body Electric much attention until the CA tour showed me how great they are. And on and on.

• Like 4

Thanks! It DOES feel like I've reached a new level of RUSH appreciation. Almost feel like I'm aboard the Rocinante!!! I love that their catalog is so deep that nine years later, I'm STILL "discovering" songs I hadn't noticed before. The past couple years, I've been obsessed with Middletown Dreams and Prime Mover. I'd never really given Grand Designs or The Body Electric much attention until the CA tour showed me how great they are. And on and on.

nice! and when you've finally heard it all you can start rediscovering songs you haven't heard in a while, the Rush catalog is pretty much endless because of how much they put into every song! sounds like you're a lifer!

I'm learning Grand Designs on drums right now, wicked tune!

I think it's awesome that no matter how long you're a fan, there always seems to be songs that you can learn to appreciate more fully. It's no wonder this band has such a loyal fans that can hang around for so long and still love them the way they do. The music for the most part is deep and complex and many layered. I'm not talking about the production but the complexity. Like the body and mind together becoming the perfect sphere.
  • Like 5

I think it's awesome that no matter how long you're a fan, there always seems to be songs that you can learn to appreciate more fully. It's no wonder this band has such a loyal fans that can hang around for so long and still love them the way they do. The music for the most part is deep and complex and many layered. I'm not talking about the production but the complexity. Like the body and mind together becoming the perfect sphere.

Like me.... :codger: a entire era :LOL:
  • Like 1

:LOL:

It's funny because it's true :yes: :D

• Like 2

Did you pick an alcoholic because you thought she'd be easy?

Ouch...no, we just happened to meet each other right after getting out of long-term relationships with our exes. I didn't realize how bad the drinking, and her emotional/trust issues, were until later. Looking back now, neither of us had any business being in a new relationship yet at that point, especially her.

Congratulations! No matter what some may say, Hemispheres is one of their greatest songs, if not as accessible as most. For me, the 80's and COS were like this; I thought they were mostly bland and boring, but one day it just clicked. I'm sure we've all had these moments; maybe there should be a thread dedicated to them...

Congratulations! No matter what some may say, Hemispheres is one of their greatest songs, if not as accessible as most. For me, the 80's and COS were like this; I thought they were mostly bland and boring, but one day it just clicked. I'm sure we've all had these moments; maybe there should be a thread dedicated to them...

I don't why but that segue dig made me laugh, lol. He'll come around. After all......this is Segue we're talking about. He turned on RTB without much warning, lol Praising it one day.......BAM i hate it now :laughing guy: I know i did the same with hemispheres......but i can assure that is RARE for me.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Just listened to it again. And it doesn't even feel like 18 minutes. I pick up more from it every listen. Like it's got my favorite ending to any of their epics. Just proves you do not need a big bombastic climax all the time.

Love that acoustic ending.

Mick

• Like 4

I don't why but that segue dig made me laugh, lol. He'll come around. After all......this is Segue we're talking about. He turned on RTB without much warning, lol Praising it one day.......BAM i hate it now :laughing guy: I know i did the same with hemispheres......but i can assure that is RARE for me.

Mick

I thought this thread was made by Segue when I first opened. Surprised it took this long for him to get mentioned.

• Like 2

Me too......it is now my fav epic. The key for me.....as simple as it sounds was headphones. Then it clicked.

Mick

I agree with the headphones. Listening to how the sound is panned out really emphasizes the music.

Same with Presto. Listening to it on headphones really makes it shine.

• Like 1

Me too......it is now my fav epic. The key for me.....as simple as it sounds was headphones. Then it clicked.

Mick

I agree with the headphones. Listening to how the sound is panned out really emphasizes the music.

I agree. It amazes me how many folks think its thin and not good at all frankly. I think at least 8-9 songs out of 11 are really good and sound well produced to my ears..... :huh:
  • Like 1

It took me about 12 years to get into full blown "Rush-aholic" mode. Welcome to the club!

Mick

I agree. It amazes me how many folks think its thin and not good at all frankly. I think at least 8-9 songs out of 11 are really good and sound well produced to my ears..... :huh:

I think it is good but I also think it sounds thin. Geddy's bass has no punch and Neil's drums are just... thin. I don't know how else to describe it. Musically it is a very good album. A little corny and too much on the pop side... but very good.

• Like 2