"Top" 100 Metal songs 1969-79

MMCXII

Brought back some memories - Witchfynde, Samson (with Bruce D) and perhaps the best track Sledgehammer, which was a cracking track and single. Some very f**king strange fashions going as well.

Some glaring omissions AC/DC, Van Halen and Zep, although Percy might be pleased not to be included in a Heavy Metal list.

Only made it thru the first 27 spots (for now), but holy cow, I think there were 18 bands I've never heard of in there!

Thumbs up for Captain Beyond and David "Rock" Feinstein!

You won't have heard of most of the rest then either. I went through all of it. There are many repeats of bands I never heard off and i was alive and listening to music then. I can't argue with # 1 anyway.....

Some glaring omissions AC/DC, Van Halen and Zep, although Percy might be pleased not to be included in a Heavy Metal list.

None of those bands are metal. That's why they're not on the list.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 3

So folks think they are.....

Well, those folks are wrong. Van Halen's early stuff does have some metal elements in it but they were never full on metal. AC/DC and Zeppelin have never had anything that you could classify as metal. They're both hard rock bands.

• Like 2

Well, those folks are wrong. Van Halen's early stuff does have some metal elements in it but they were never full on metal. AC/DC and Zeppelin have never had anything that you could classify as metal. They're both hard rock bands.

Metal and hard rock were interchangeable terms back then. Metal means something completely different now.

• Like 1

Metal and hard rock were interchangeable terms back then. Metal means something completely different now.

Agreed. I think, for example, Hells Bells and Mean Street are metal. Black Sabbath are considered the creators of metal, and I think both those songs are harder and heavier than, say, The Wizard.

• Like 1

So I sat and listened. The Rush songs in the list: Working Man, Anthem and 2112.

This guys really likes Sir Lord Baltimore, Budgie, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Rainbow and Scorpions since these bands had a lot of songs on this list. I must say I am not familiar with some the the bands listed >50.

Nice to see Atomic Rooster on the list ( Carl Palmer was the drummer for AR before ELP ). I had this album.

Nice listen and thanks for this post.

• Like 1

Agreed. I think, for example, Hells Bells and Mean Street are metal. Black Sabbath are considered the creators of metal, and I think both those songs are harder and heavier than, say, The Wizard.

It's funny how the definition of metal has changed.

Thing is, I grew up in the 70's and I have never considered Zep, ACDC or Van Halen metal but I'll be damned if I can explain why.. As for Van Halen, the only song I can think if of hand that would be metal is maybe 'on Fire' from their debut but maybe a case could be made for most of the album..?

Led Zeppelin is to heavy metal as Jethro Tull is to heavy metal. Nuff said there!

ACDC is hard rock no doubt about it and that's quite all right..

And I'm still confused.. Someone post a good definition of heavy metal lol

Thing is, I grew up in the 70's and I have never considered Zep, ACDC or Van Halen metal but I'll be damned if I can explain why.. As for Van Halen, the only song I can think if of hand that would be metal is maybe 'on Fire' from their debut but maybe a case could be made for most of the album..?

Led Zeppelin is to heavy metal as Jethro Tull is to heavy metal. Nuff said there!

I agree with you. Of all the bands I listened to in the 70's Judas Priest is the only one that I guess I would consider metal. Their early stuff I wouldn't however........

I agree with you. Of all the bands I listened to in the 70's Judas Priest is the only one that I guess I would consider metal. Their early stuff I wouldn't however........

Ya good call on priest!

Metal is very diverse. You get genres from Glam (Motley Crue, Poison) to Black (Gorgoroth, Mayhem). It varies. But the weirdest thing is that if you have a distorted guitar, your metal as the media presents. I hate when kids dub metal "screamo" because Screamo is derogatory for Metalcore, which isn't really metal, but Hardcore with metal elements.

All in all, it depends on how you look at it. Metal Archives, a site I am quite active on, have admins who are VERY biased to what metal is. But metal can be anything.

Sunn O))) is Drone/Doom. They're music is essentially experimental droning guitar riffs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ck2kAOtnXE

Nest is ambient/folk and they are entirely acoustic and yet they are on metal archives and are deemed "metal" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImPkDCH25LU

Same thing with one of my favorite bands of all time! Wardruna:

All are deemed "metal" because of their dark atmospheric image.

My band, A Perfect Day, is Post Black Metal but it has a feminine, shopaholic atmosphere https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfp1pxSXBcg

Metal is biased.