Xanadu vs. Natural Science

Lorraine

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which song do you think is better?

Natural Science is a fantastic song. It's long-ish (by Rush standards ;) ), it's got great lyrics and music. But I voted Xanadu. Xanadu has all that plus a little something more; I guess it's just more "Rushy."
  • Like 3

Speaking of the CA Tour dvd, did anyone here notice Geddy winking at someone right up front at the end of Territories? :)

I noticed it the first time I watched it. I figured he was doing it for the camera. Haven't been able to watch the DVD more than twice, gives me a headache.

Haven't given it a full viewing since release day. Waste of a great tour.

Mick

I agree 100%. I was so looking forward to this DVD since I saw several shows during this tour. What a disappointment.

I know that you have said watching it gives you a headache from all the camera movement, but can you tell me what else is disappointing? Is it that it didn't fully capture the show?

For me its the sea sickness watching it and Geddy struggling with the vocals even on the CA stuff....... :(

Yeah this pretty much. The video editing looks like it was done by 12-year-old with ADD. I don't know why it is that they never seem to catch the best nights when they record something.

• Like 1

Xanadu is such a great song… especially that solo. I think the phrase "making the guitar sing" may have originated with that solo. But Natural Science is my second favorite song (er….. musical composition) only behind LaVilla. Sorry Lorraine, but I can't actually explain why… I just really, really love everything about NS, the lyrics, the music, the different sections, the way the little metaphor at the beginning leads into the body of the song and then is revisited as the song is closed out, tying everything together…. it is just an awesome, awesome song, and one of the first songs that made RUSH the center of my music universe.
  • Like 1

Speaking of the CA Tour dvd, did anyone here notice Geddy winking at someone right up front at the end of Territories? :)

I noticed it the first time I watched it. I figured he was doing it for the camera. Haven't been able to watch the DVD more than twice, gives me a headache.

Haven't given it a full viewing since release day. Waste of a great tour.

Mick

I agree 100%. I was so looking forward to this DVD since I saw several shows during this tour. What a disappointment.

I know that you have said watching it gives you a headache from all the camera movement, but can you tell me what else is disappointing? Is it that it didn't fully capture the show?

For me its the sea sickness watching it and Geddy struggling with the vocals even on the CA stuff....... :(

Yeah this pretty much. The video editing looks like it was done by 12-year-old with ADD. I don't know why it is that they never seem to catch the best nights when they record something.

Well that's how they do things now...it is the Youtube ADD generation.

Xanadu by a wide margin for me. I've always felt that Natural Science is overrated. To be sure, it is incredibly impressive where musicianship is concerned, especially Geddy's handling of the song in a live context. Still, I've long felt that it lacks a great melody and hook. It certainly sounds scientific, but more mechanical than natural.

Or it could simply be unfair to compare Natural Science to the towering Xanadu. ;)

• Like 3

Xanadu by a wide margin for me. I've always felt that Natural Science is overrated. To be sure, it is incredibly impressive where musicianship is concerned, especially Geddy's handling of the song in a live context. Still, I've long felt that it lacks a great melody and hook. It certainly sounds scientific, but more mechanical than natural.

Or it could simply be unfair to compare Natural Science to the towering Xanadu. ;)

Well I've always found Xanadu to be a little overrated. NS is far more dynamic and complex and all of those shifts and changes make it a song that really defines Rush. Also, NS is about something: the state of the world, the progress of mankind, etc. Xanadu is a very simple story that has very little depth to it (not that there is anything wrong with that) but the dynamics, the storytelling, the energy, the overall sound of NS make it the clear victor for me.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

Well I've always found Xanadu to be a little overrated. NS is far more dynamic and complex and all of those shifts and changes make it a song that really defines Rush. Also, NS is about something: the state of the world, the progress of mankind, etc. Xanadu is a very simple story that has very little depth to it (not that there is anything wrong with that) but the dynamics, the storytelling, the energy, the overall sound of NS make it the clear victor for me.

I agree with all of your observations about Natural Science. It does excel in those areas. Still, in my appraisal, Natural Science is a better exposition of musical prowess, while Xanadu—itself no slouch in the musicianship department—is a better song.

And sure, perhaps Xanadu is a bit overrated too. Who can say? I certainly rate it near the top.

Xanadu:

1. Xanadu

2. Hemispheres

3. Losing It

4. Natural Science

5. Available Light

Natural Science is great too...

You really think that highly of Available Light aye?

It's the closest to jizz they've ever gotten... and I love it in my ear.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/4086133/something-about-mary-hair-gel-o.gif

• Like 1

Xanadu:

1. Xanadu

2. Hemispheres

3. Losing It

4. Natural Science

5. Available Light

this post makes me want to go listen to Available Light to try and figure out what I've been missing!

Xanadu:

1. Xanadu

2. Hemispheres

3. Losing It

4. Natural Science

5. Available Light

this post makes me want to go listen to Available Light to try and figure out what I've been missing!

A lot

Xanadu is such a great song… especially that solo. I think the phrase "making the guitar sing" may have originated with that solo. But Natural Science is my second favorite song (er….. musical composition) only behind LaVilla. Sorry Lorraine, but I can't actually explain why… I just really, really love everything about NS, the lyrics, the music, the different sections, the way the little metaphor at the beginning leads into the body of the song and then is revisited as the song is closed out, tying everything together…. it is just an awesome, awesome song, and one of the first songs that made RUSH the center of my music universe.

I love Natural Science myself and, in some ways, it is a much better song than Xanadu. But, Xanadu has something that Natural Science lacks. Xanadu is a more intense and hauntingly beautiful song. Just my opinion of course. :)

• Like 1

My absolute two favorite Rush songs. Nat Sci by a hair, depending on the day.

The Rush in Rio live version is THE best thing Rush has ever recorded, IMO. If there is a God, and he returns triumphiant, it would be the only thing that could top that recording, and my favorite part of the song is Geddy and Alex side by side during section III (permanet waves) stride around the stage like the musical colossus they are, as if looking down from Mount Olympus.

LABT, I couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

Xanadu:

1. Xanadu

2. Hemispheres

3. Losing It

4. Natural Science

5. Available Light

I wasn't familiar with Available Light so I'm listening to it now. The first :50 seconds are pretty boring. It does get better, but IMO it never rises above the level of an uninteresting, middle-of-the-road, top 40 song. The song as a whole lacks complexity, it feels flat, and the solo sounds like something a lame band onstage in a random 80s movie would be playing. In other words, the band has certainly done better.

• Like 1

Xanadu:

1. Xanadu

2. Hemispheres

3. Losing It

4. Natural Science

5. Available Light

I wasn't familiar with Available Light so I'm listening to it now. The first :50 seconds are pretty boring. It does get better, but IMO it never rises above the level of an uninteresting, middle-of-the-road, top 40 song. The song as a whole lacks complexity, it feels flat, and the solo sounds like something a lame band onstage in a random 80s movie would be playing. In other words, the band has certainly done better.

I don't know. It probably shouldn't be in my top 5, but I only listened to Presto relatively recently and I'm still kind of forming my opinion of it. It'll probably be much lower in a few weeks...

My absolute two favorite Rush songs. Nat Sci by a hair, depending on the day.

The Rush in Rio live version is THE best thing Rush has ever recorded, IMO. If there is a God, and he returns triumphiant, it would be the only thing that could top that recording, and my favorite part of the song is Geddy and Alex side by side during section III (permanet waves) stride around the stage like the musical colossus they are, as if looking down from Mount Olympus.

LABT, I couldn't agree more.

I just wish they didn't take out a verse. :( But they did do a killer job on it!

Xanadu:

1. Xanadu

2. Hemispheres

3. Losing It

4. Natural Science

5. Available Light

For me there is just emotion in it. The most emotion from Geddy's voice from that era, IMO.

• Like 2

Xanadu:

1. Xanadu

2. Hemispheres

3. Losing It

4. Natural Science

5. Available Light

For me there is just emotion in it. The most emotion from Geddy's voice from that era, IMO.

Some great drumming in this song, especially during the middle and end. I watched this yesterday and it made me appreciate the song even more:

• Like 2

I agree with all of your observations about Natural Science. It does excel in those areas. Still, in my appraisal, Natural Science is a better exposition of musical prowess, while Xanadu—itself no slouch in the musicianship department—is a better song.

Well I think that gives NS the advantage. It has all of these complex elements yet still manages to be an extremely well-constructed and compelling song itself. Xanadu is a great song by utilizing simpler elements (but by no means simple, just relatively). NS succeeds while having greater variety and more complex arrangements.

Edited by savagegrace26

Natural Science is my favorite RUSH song of all time. Having said that, if we're only allowed to vote on the studio versions, I'd sadly have to concede to Xanadu. It's weird to say, since NS is my favorite RUSH song, but I honestly don't find the PeW version of the song enjoyable. All the live versions kick ass. In my opinion, the Different Stages version of Natural Science is the greatest recorded performance of a RUSH song (followed oh so closely by the ESL version of Xanadu). The DS version of NS has the most emotion, soul, and feeling of any version. I don't get people's preference for the RiR version; to me it's a distant third behind DS and S&A Live (though it's slowed way down on S&A).

As far as why they leave out the "art as expression" part live...I don't know...but I like it that way. That stanza is very earnest and sincere, but just seems out of place compared to the rest of the lyrics. It seems like part of the sentiment they were addressing in Spirit of Radio, and somehow it ended up spilling over into Natural Science. I like the doubling up of the "wheels in wheels..." part, and the axing of the "art as expression" part.

So, having said all that...what version of the songs are we voting for? As I mentioned, if we're held to the studio versions only, I have to sadly pick Xanadu (and I do love Xanadu...but live Natural Science is the best ever!!!).