How much longer can Ged hold on?

Obviously, Geddy's voice is declining. I'm not bashing, I think he still sounds fine. The question must be asked though, what's the max number of tours he's got left? I'd say 3 at the very most, probably only 2

I think the real question is how much longer Neil can hold on. They can accommodate Geddy's voice easily enough by changing the set up to help him but once the drummer's done they're all done. As of last tour Neil's still doing just fine on the drums, but we're always hearing stories about him banging himself up every so often. Considering the man's a smoker that isn't doing him any favors, either.

I give it 2-3 tours tops. I don't expect them to do more than 2 anyway.

Edited by BowlCity

I think the real question is how much longer Neil can hold on. They can accommodate Geddy's voice easily enough by changing the set up to help him but once the drummer's done they're all done. As of last tour Neil's still doing just fine on the drums, but we're always hearing stories about him banging himself up every so often. Considering the man's a smoker that isn't doing him any favors, either.

Yeah good point. If it were only up to him, I'm sure they would already be retired

Yeah good point. If it were only up to him, I'm sure they would already be retired

Oh, I doubt that. People like to give him crap for being introverted towards his fans and touring but there's this:

It was ultimately his decision that Vapor Trails-present exists. He could've decided to never come back after Test For Echo and the dark days in the late 90's.

Then if you go to Clockwork Angels he wrote a full-fledged story and delivered some of the best drum work he's ever done. He went all out on that album.

That doesn't sound like a man who's wanted to retire for many years.

• Like 7

Oh, I doubt that. People like to give him crap for being introverted towards his fans and touring but there's this:

It was ultimately his decision that Vapor Trails-present exists. He could've decided to never come back after Test For Echo and the dark days in the late 90's.

Then if you go to Clockwork Angels he wrote a full-fledged story and delivered some of the best drum work he's ever done. He went all out on that album.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant he probably would have retired from touring. I think they're all excited to continue making new music, but I get the feeling that Neil is not too keen on touring

Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant he probably would have retired from touring. I think they're all excited to continue making new music, but I get the feeling that Neil is not too keen on touring

Maybe he's just not too keen on admitting that even he is not an island... even if the ever-expanding kit sometimes acts as a mini-fortress.

Also, I have to agree that Geddy himself seems in the best shape. It's the other two we have to worry about. I guess Neil is most at risk because he's still on those motorcycles, although you never know what weird stuff Alex may be up to this time.

Also, I have to agree that Geddy himself seems in the best shape. It's the other two we have to worry about. I guess Neil is most at risk because he's still on those motorcycles, although you never know what weird stuff Alex may be up to this time.

Yeah I actually think that Neil rides his motorcycle so much because he's secretly hoping he might crash, which will probably happen eventually... On the other hand, I doubt Alex does anything too crazy except the odd drug here and there haha

Yeah I actually think that Neil rides his motorcycle so much because he's secretly hoping he might crash, which will probably happen eventually... On the other hand, I doubt Alex does anything too crazy except the odd drug here and there haha

If Alex ever had any drugs the world could very possibly end...

Hope they do last a couple more tours. I love seeing them live and being around all the other fans there :) .

• Like 2

They're a work IN progress. They'll make music for years to come...touring?!? That's another matter. Friendship is deep. They love each other and they still have that creative spark, as evidenced in CA. I say a couple more albums. Geddy's voice in studio is so damn good right now
  • Like 4

They're a work IN progress. They'll make music for years to come...touring?!? That's another matter. Friendship is deep. They love each other and they still have that creative spark, as evidenced in CA. I say a couple more albums. Geddy's voice in studio is so damn good right now

I agree. Creativeness isn't just a switch you can flip on and off. I think there will be new music long after the touring is over.

• Like 2

I know people who absolutely HATE Neil for his shyness.

Geddy's voice isn't fine. Listen to the live Snakes and Arrows. Some of the songs are bad. Very bad.

Ever since that live album his voice has been declining noticeably, I agree with that. R30 was the probably the most recent concert footage where his voice was on fire.

Funny what 3 years does to ya.

Alex I feel will cause the end due to the arthritis in his hands.

I think he mentioned Psoriasis not sure if that is related to arthritis.

It's Psoriatic Arthritis.

• Like 1

I have always kind of figured Neil would have an accident or something on his bike. As far as Geddys voice, tough to say. He had a tough time during the last two tours. His voice has declined a lot even since Time Machine. But I guess we'll see.

If the band were of the opinion that Geddy couldn't endure another tour (let alone two or three), then I don't think they would continue to do what they do. And whatever they do next, they ought to be able to do without a chorus of people wondering if they can still hack it.

It's amazing...they make new music and tour consistently, almost without stopping, for 10-11 years, and then they take a break for one year, and all this starts up. It's inevitable with some people, I suppose. "What if Geddy can't do it anymore?", "What if Neil crashes his bike?"...Neil is a big boy, and he can take care of himself. And in 2013, I went to my first Rush show since the Counterparts tour, and Geddy sounded flippin' great.

So there.

• Like 4

If the Rolling Stones are still there, why not Rush? The band is in best shape than the Stones, just that we'll have to keep a eye on Alex's diet or ask his doctor his cholesterol level is ok... I don't think Geedy's voice is a factor, as long as he can breathe normally and that he can play his chops with efficiency. The band has 10 more years to go (2 or 3 albums and tours). Then after we will have enough memories and archives to keep the Rush Forum alive for 100 years. Geddy and Alex would have enough time to become members of this forum while Neil would be keeping writing books about his latest escapade.
  • Like 1

If the band were of the opinion that Geddy couldn't endure another tour (let alone two or three), then I don't think they would continue to do what they do. And whatever they do next, they ought to be able to do without a chorus of people wondering if they can still hack it.

It's amazing...they make new music and tour consistently, almost without stopping, for 10-11 years, and then they take a break for one year, and all this starts up. It's inevitable with some people, I suppose. "What if Geddy can't do it anymore?", "What if Neil crashes his bike?"...Neil is a big boy, and he can take care of himself. And in 2013, I went to my first Rush show since the Counterparts tour, and Geddy sounded flippin' great.

So there.

Well, there will always be worry and speculation with any act that's been around for a long time. I don't think the questions are meant to be critical or malicious in any way. Fans do get worried, and when that awful time comes they do grieve. I think it's good that people care about those who have given them joy for years.

• Like 3

So there.

Well, there will always be worry and speculation with any act that's been around for a long time. I don't think the questions are meant to be critical or malicious in any way. Fans do get worried, and when that awful time comes they do grieve. I think it's good that people care about those who have given them joy for years.

I don't disagree with you at all about that; I care about them, too. They are, and have been, the most important band in my life. All I meant was that the general tone of this thread seems to be about how far the band has gone downhill over the past few years.

I'm of the opinion (and I know some others here are, too) that we're fortunate to still have them at all. And I happen to think they're still doing really, really well. Not just for their age, but for any band.

• Like 2