Deciding to be child-free

x1yyz

Getting married and/or having children is a deeply personal decision for everyone. There is no Right or Wrong answer.

What is Wrong - extremely Wrong - is when people who do have children patronize and even criticize those who don't. The patronizing is the worst part. People get on their self-righteous high horses and assume that childless people are unhappy, which leads to patronizing comments and advice. :boo hiss: :boo hiss:

I just had that yesterday from my Father-in-Law

he seemed surprised when I told him to go f**k himself :)

I always seem to get it from people who appear to have the worst family relations (whether with their husbands/wives and/or kids).

And there's the rub..it's never from people who seem genuinely happy with their lot...it's like they resent the fact you don't have to experience their misery.

Yeah it does seem like that.

This one acquaintance has tried to guilt me into having kids by pointing to the fact that Japan’s population is decreasing due to couples delaying marriage or having fewer kids or not getting married at all. As if that’s going to make me start having kids. I should start having kids because Japan’s population is decreasing?! f**k off! :LOL: Seriously, that was her bullshit reasoning

I got this too...he kept saying "what if everyone thought like you?. There wouldn't be any people in the country",

I pointed out to him that everyone DOESN'T think like me, and that his argument was a false equivalence, but he didn't get it.

• Like 1

Getting married and/or having children is a deeply personal decision for everyone. There is no Right or Wrong answer.

What is Wrong - extremely Wrong - is when people who do have children patronize and even criticize those who don't. The patronizing is the worst part. People get on their self-righteous high horses and assume that childless people are unhappy, which leads to patronizing comments and advice. :boo hiss: :boo hiss:

I just had that yesterday from my Father-in-Law

he seemed surprised when I told him to go f**k himself :)

I always seem to get it from people who appear to have the worst family relations (whether with their husbands/wives and/or kids).

And there's the rub..it's never from people who seem genuinely happy with their lot...it's like they resent the fact you don't have to experience their misery.

Yeah it does seem like that.

This one acquaintance has tried to guilt me into having kids by pointing to the fact that Japan’s population is decreasing due to couples delaying marriage or having fewer kids or not getting married at all. As if that’s going to make me start having kids. I should start having kids because Japan’s population is decreasing?! f**k off! :LOL: Seriously, that was her bullshit reasoning

I got this too...he kept saying "what if everyone thought like you?. There wouldn't be any people in the country",

I pointed out to him that everyone DOESN'T think like me, and that his argument was a false equivalence, but he didn't get it.

I don’t really get into it with those bastards.

With that aforementioned acquaintance i mentioned I’ve said these answers:

- Okay, I’ll have twenty kids. Would that help Japan?

and

- How many do I need to have in order to help out?

• Like 1

I got this too...he kept saying "what if everyone thought like you? There wouldn't be any people in the country",

It probably won't help, but try telling him this: If everyone in the world thought like you, then we would have 30 billion people on this planet, over half of which would be starving to death ..... :|

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2