Robin Williams has died of apparent suicide.

ReRushed

The hostility shown to people suffering from clinical depression appals me. Does it ever occur to people that if it was simply a matter of "pulling yourself together" then depression would be rare?

Having suffered from depression for many years, suffered the sneering and the accusations of mental and or physical frailty, the incomprehension that "someone like me" could be so weighed down, the quizzical "what have you got to be depressed about?" I know how and why someone might take their own life. It never seems to occur to some people that if you can wonder why someone rich, successful and famous can take their own life you have the problem of depression in a nutshell. There is no real reason that anyone can give for why they suffer from depression or why exactly they are depressed at any given time and that is the problem.

It is a bio-chemical problem. Simple.

Just a flat-out AWESOME post. If recovering from depression was just a matter of "pulling yourself together" then it would be rare. Perfectly stated. And obviously depression is NOT rare, so such a "simple" recovery method doesn't exist; recovery is actually much longer and more difficult, meanwhile the victim suffers severely and daily. Many times people would ask me “WHY are you depressed” and I would answer, “If I knew, I wouldn’t be.” If I had a reason I could point to, some rational CAUSE which I could counter, I wouldn’t have BEEN depressed!

I disagree, however, with the notion that all depressions are bio-chemical problems, and always solved by finding the "right" medication. In my experience, way too many depressives had terribly dysfunctional families while growing-up to just dismiss that environmental cause and instead say "it's bio-chemical." I've also seen (and experienced!) people who've become depressed because of the irrational/neurotic/perfectionist beliefs they have.

Thankfully, society has gotten better about understanding depression and continues to get better. Back when I became depressed 25 years ago, many people either translated "I have depression" as "he's sad" or alternately as "he's crazy." And there was still a stigma attached to going to a psychotherapist, too. To some, seeing a therapist/psychiatrist meant you were crazy and might cause harm to people. I was careful who I told about it.

I appreciate the honesty. I also agree that depression, like most illnesses, is far from simple.

Like it or not the death of Williams has really made a splash in the collective pool of human awareness. It seems like his death has been popping up everywhere no matter who you meet or talk to or what websites you visit.

:yes: and it places more light on the disease that is depression. I've spoken to many people this week who's lives have been touched by depression, addiction, and suicide.

Robin touched a lot of lives (my own included) :) But, so has depression :(

I'm hearing now that his wife said Robin was showing signs of the early stages of Parkinsons syndrome.

Yes, I heard that too. That's very sad.

My first thought was that there had been some diagnosis of a chronic illness.

Like it or not the death of Williams has really made a splash in the collective pool of human awareness. It seems like his death has been popping up everywhere no matter who you meet or talk to or what websites you visit.

:yes: and it places more light on the disease that is depression. I've spoken to many people this week who's lives have been touched by depression, addiction, and suicide.

Robin touched a lot of lives (my own included) :) But, so has depression :(

I'm hearing now that his wife said Robin was showing signs of the early stages of Parkinsons syndrome.

Yes, I heard that too. That's very sad.

My first thought was that there had been some diagnosis of a chronic illness.

Signs of Parkinson syndrome are often side effects from persistent use of neuroleptics. Maybe he took suchlike medication to fight the disease.

• Like 1

He could have paid a prostitute $1000, per night, every night, for 96 years, for the same price his divorces cost him.

What the F*CK is your problem with Robin Williams? You've done nothing but bad-mouth him and attempt to destroy this thread.

Stop being such a douchebag..... :bitchslap:

Regarding his money problems, surely he'd bagged enough hits over the years to be loaded, even enough to pay his vulture ex-wives? Regardless it doesn't seem right that he's the one who stars in all these films and stand-up tours and TV shows and ends up apparently destitute while his bloodsucker ex-wives do fuckk all sat on their arses and get all the money handed over to them.

well, a "friend" of mine just posted on Facebook leaked footage of Robin Williams still in the noose. She was shocked by that so therefore she had to post it. Stupid bitch. :facepalm:
  • Like 1

He could have paid a prostitute $1000, per night, every night, for 96 years, for the same price his divorces cost him.

Possibly the most gentle, meek, yet empathetic post in this thread... :whipgirl: :eh: :facepalm:

...but in retrospective, a perfect quote for his stand-up.

I'm sure Robin would've loved that. :cheers:

• Like 1

What the F*CK is your problem with Robin Williams? You've done nothing but bad-mouth him and attempt to destroy this thread.

Stop being such a douchebag..... :bitchslap:

No kidding. That was totally uncalled for and extremely rude.

• Like 2

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/08/GIF-flip-the-bird-middle-finger-Mrs.-Doubtfire-Robin-Williams-you-suck-GIF.gif

Mel Gibson could have payed for it for 1000 years with his divorce. Woof.

Just rented Angriest Man In Brooklyn on Redbox. Got 30 minutes left to watch.

Also, apparently his wife just admitted he found out he had the same thing Michael J. Fox (speaking of childhood heroes) has, Parkinson's.

If I end up with Parkinson's (or worse), then I'll definitely want to go out on my terms. I totally respect a person's decision to end it now rather than suffer a long, torturous death.

I have two friends with parkinsons, one at the early stage and the other very advanced, and they live full lives with joy, happiness and humour.

We are all different, but parkinsons doesn't have to rule ones life completely!

But I do agree, alongside alzheimers and multiple sclerosis, it is my most dreaded disease.

Edited by Segue Myles

One of the best insults ever in that movie:

"You are in more dire need of a BJ than any white man in history." :laughing guy:

JT Walsh, another good actor who died young. Ditto Bruno Kirby.

"Would Bob Dylan be out of line?"

"Way out of line!" :LOL:

"Seeing as how the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT? 'Cause if it leaks to the VC he could end up MIA, and then we'd all be put on KP."

Yeah, Bruno Kirby was another great who died too soon.

"And if you do-oooo....and if you do-oooo..."

• Like 1

"You are in more dire need of a BJ than any white man in history." :laughing guy:

"Seeing as how the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT? 'Cause if it leaks to the VC he could end up MIA, and then we'd all be put on KP."

I didn't realise Bruno Kirby was dead! :o I'm like Bruno Kirby? Noooooo. I had to look him on wiki. And you always see that was, Bruno Kirby was an American television and film actor... :(

• Like 1

I didn't realise Bruno Kirby was dead! :o I'm like Bruno Kirby? Noooooo. I had to look him on wiki. And you always see that was, Bruno Kirby was an American television and film actor... :(

He was, of course, the young Clemenza.

http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg

• Like 3