Tony Stewart runs over another racer who is on foot, kills him.

KenJennings

The guy in front of stewart burped his throttle too, to steer away from Ward.

How are you determining what various drivers did with their right foot? And where did you learn that power oversteer is a reasonable object avoidance technique at half speed under yellow? If someone was spinning their rear wheels at that point, they were trying to fling dirt on someone.

Bullshit. When you have to make a snap call to avoid a moving object, you do whatever you need to change the direction of the car.

Yeah, you turn the steering wheel to the left, not snap the back end to the right with 1st-day-of-driving-school boneheaded-ness.

[/Quote]

And if he'd done that, he would've hit Ward squarely instead of a passing glance.

No, he would have moved to the left. A race car steers just like any normal car when it's not near its limit. The steering wheel works just fine.

He was already turning around the corner. Without changing the attitude of the car, the contact would've been even more severe.

• Like 1

There's no way Stewart could've been expecting Ward to jump in his path as he was circling the track under caution. With a darkly lit track and Ward wearing black, Stewart was probably startled to see him there.

You idiots act as if Stewart planned his response well in advance.

• Like 2

30 years of getting away with dickish-ness gives a huge amount of positive reinforcement to the notion you can get away with it one more time.

So the real agenda shows. You dislike the guy, so you paint him as a killer.

I've always liked Stewart for the most part.

Not me. Dude is a dick.

He's caused more mayhem and destruction on a race track than anyone I can remember in NASCAR, other than Dale Sr.

Then you haven't been paying attention to the Bush brothers. Tony used to drive and behave like a jerk but since he started his own team he's toned down a lot. I guess when it's your money repairing expensive cars, it changes a man.

• Like 1

30 years of getting away with dickish-ness gives a huge amount of positive reinforcement to the notion you can get away with it one more time.

I've always liked Stewart for the most part.

Not me. Dude is a dick.

He's caused more mayhem and destruction on a race track than anyone I can remember in NASCAR, other than Dale Sr.

Tony used to drive and behave like a jerk but since he started his own team he's toned down a lot. I guess when it's your money repairing expensive cars, it changes a man.

Of course. He's now a dick who owns a team

If this gets pursued any further, it is nothing more than an overzealous prosecuting attorney seeing a chance to get his name in lights among a both profile national case.

This is a racing deal. The law needs to GTFO.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

ESPN just played the video. For the life of me I can't see how anyone could possibly think there was any deliberate act there. I'll bet $100 against anyone that no criminal charges will come from it. Even a civil lawsuit would be weak.

NASCAR will pay who they need to pay and life will go on. The kid shouldn't have gotten out of his car, acting like some big shot, on a dirt track, at night. At the end of the day, at a low profile event, like that, there will not be any evidence to even think about prosecuting Tony. Only he knows what his intentions were. Really, the onus was on the kid not to be getting out of his car and trying to show his ass.

Tony does have a shitty attitude, but I would probably have the same attitude if I was a NASCAR driver. Tony wants to race and not deal with all the corporate, commercial, bullshit that drivers have to put up with in the Sprint Cup.

• Like 1

The guy was stupid to jump out of his car and walk out in front of a bunch of racing vehicles coming right at him. It was his temper that got him killed.
  • Like 1

This is a racing deal.

A driver dying under a yellow is not a "racing deal". That's absurd.

What's absurd is trying to blame the driver for a pedestrian walking onto a race track.

Ward let his frustration get the best of him, and made a bad decision on the racetrack. The result is tragic, but it is, very much, a racing deal.

• Like 2

"This is right now being investigated as an on-track crash, and I don't want to infer that there are criminal charges pending," Sheriff Povero said. "When the investigation is completed, we will sit down with the district attorney and review it. But I want to make it very clear: There are no criminal charges pending at this time."

Good to hear that the Sheriff sees it this way.

• Like 2

The real issue is a guy was killed under yellow (unheard of in even the most rookie of series) by one of the most talented drivers in history. That can only happen when both guys are doing something they have no business doing. What happened is beyond ridiculous. I've always liked Stewart for the most part.

So tell me, why did the car in front of start also accelerate, and only narrowly avoided Ward?

Stewart isn't a good enough driver to miss a person, I guess.

The real issue is a guy was killed under yellow (unheard of in even the most rookie of series) by one of the most talented drivers in history. That can only happen when both guys are doing something they have no business doing. What happened is beyond ridiculous. I've always liked Stewart for the most part.

So tell me, why did the car in front of start also accelerate, and only narrowly avoided Ward?

Stewart isn't a good enough driver to miss a person, I guess.

You can't miss what you don't see.
  • Like 5

Slack Jaw you sound as moronic as all the assholes on ESPN commenting that Stewart purposely killed him and needs to face the death penalty.

How can you be so f***ing stupid?

I was run over by Jimmy Clark while jaywalking.

It happened at the corner of "I'll show this punk" and "I ain't afraid of this asshole".
  • Like 1

180,000 people die every day, you never know when you're gonna be one of the 180,000, but it's just a matter of time until you will be.

You need to be a cult leader, or a guru.

http://i.imgur.com/ZrJOaA5.jpg

NASCAR will pay who they need to pay and life will go on. The kid shouldn't have gotten out of his car, acting like some big shot, on a dirt track, at night. At the end of the day, at a low profile event, like that, there will not be any evidence to even think about prosecuting Tony. Only he knows what his intentions were. Really, the onus was on the kid not to be getting out of his car and trying to show his ass.

Tony does have a shitty attitude, but I would probably have the same attitude if I was a NASCAR driver. Tony wants to race and not deal with all the corporate, commercial, bullshit that drivers have to put up with in the Sprint Cup.

I feel bad for Tony. He has to live with killing a man for the rest of his life.
  • Like 6

I went back and looked at the earlier parts of that video, and I just want to make another observation. Stewart didn't put Ward's car in the wall in the first place. They never made contact. Stewart kinda took away his line, but Ward drove into the wall on his own.

So Stewart, not having made any contact whatsoever, would have no reason to send a message, no reason to be angry at all...

Why would Tony Stewart be looking to do anything in anger to a driver who never touched him?

• Like 2