Tony Stewart runs over another racer who is on foot, kills him.

KenJennings

Tony Stewart was racing sprint cars in upstate NY saturday night, when he was involved in a wreck with another driver- Kevin Ward Jr. Ward exited his car, and walked down the track in order to express his displeasure at Stewart as he drove by. When Stewart drove by, Ward got too close, and Tony Stewart accelerated (presumably to change directions and avoid Ward), but ended up snapping sideways and running him over. Ward was pronounced dead on arrival at the local hospital.

There's going to be a lot of people who think that Tony Stewart did this intentionally. I really can't believe that. What I could potentially believe is that Tony Stewart was doing something reckless like trying to rev the motor to scare Ward, or to throw a rooster tail (a spray of dirt) in his direction. But even so- I don't want to go there. Especially without significant convincing evidence.

There's video of the incident out there, and I really don't care to post it. I watched it before I heard confirmation that Ward had died, and it does look bad for Stewart, but the fact of the matter is that racecar physics are complicated, and I have no evidence to suggest that Stewart was doing anything other than trying to avoid the guy. That being said, Ward had no business approaching the cars that closely, and in fact, the car in front of Stewart also had to swerve to avoid him.

Whatever happens with Stewart, it's going to be a burden for him to bear for a long time. I don't believe that this will be pursued criminally, as I think it's foolish to assume anything more than a sad accident. And if this isn't pursued legally, I don't think NASCAR will pursue it as a sanctioning body. What I do hope to see is sanctioning bodies everywhere (NASCAR included) make a rule restricting the behavior of drivers who are outside of their racecar after a wreck.

I've believed for a long time that, with recent advances to in-car safety, the next NASCAR fatality would not be someone in a car. I believe that the most dangerous place to be in NASCAR is on pit road, or among a safety/cleanup team. This is a reminder that, unlike the drivers who sit within 3400lb metal boxes, people on foot are unprotected and completely vulnerable.

Just a shitty situation all around. I feel terrible for the victim and his family. I feel terrible for Tony Stewart. Awful, awful day for motorsports.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

I'm not a Stewart fan at all but I don't think it's his fault. Sprint Cars have larger right side tires to help the car turn easier, and they block your visibility to the right. The car in front of Tony nearly hit this guy as well. And the dude was wearing all black while walking towards a moving car on a dark track. I believe Tony tapped the throttle to close up on the back of the car in front of him, and due to the stagger of the tires his car kicked out, and hit this other driver.

I'm not sure if Tony is going to be racing tomorrow, due to the incident, but I don't see legal action being taken as this is merely a racing accident. But I can see Nascar and motorsports in general taking a strong look at drivers actions once they step out of their cars during a race. I've noticed near misses in Nascar a few times where drivers have thrown their helmets or gloves at other cars, and I always think to myself, holy crap you're going to get hit.

This is a horrible sitaution and I can't help but feel sorry for both Ward and his family as well as Tony Stewart who will have to live with the guilt of having run over a fellow driver during a race.

• Like 2

It does look bad for Stewart. Video doesn't lie. I live very close to Bristol Motor Speedway. I've watched him drive "dirty" and run his mouth. He's got a well-earned reputation for being somewhat of a bitch. He treats local media as if they're beneath him. This is gonna be tough.

Obviously he didn't intend to hurt Ward, or that's what we hope. His past behavior doesn't speak too well on his behalf. He's put MANY people in danger by wrecking them intentionally. This is so sad.

Here's a scenario that is totally implausible: A 20 year old kid is making a spectacle in his disgust at big-time NASCAR driver Tony Stewart, and Tony quietly moves to the far inside of the track to avoid the situation. Too bad that's not what happened.

Pay attention to what the other drivers don't say in reaction to this.

Don't be such morons. Stewart was a hothead in his youth. He grew up, and today he is one the most respected drivers on the circuit. The douchenozzle who died was utterly stupid. There will be no criminal charges, unless some asshole small town DA wants to get some publicity for his future political ambitions. There's so much reasonable doubt no one with a brain would ever even bring it to trial
  • Like 1

The guy in front of stewart burped his throttle too, to steer away from Ward. He tries to turn left, slides, and wing hits the guy. His view also may have been obstructed until last second by car in front of him. The tin foil hats are being distributed now. The famly will settle out of court for some dough, but that wont bring Ward back.

It does look bad for Stewart. Video doesn't lie. I live very close to Bristol Motor Speedway. I've watched him drive "dirty" and run his mouth. He's got a well-earned reputation for being somewhat of a bitch. He treats local media as if they're beneath him. This is gonna be tough.

Obviously he didn't intend to hurt Ward, or that's what we hope. His past behavior doesn't speak too well on his behalf. He's put MANY people in danger by wrecking them intentionally. This is so sad.

Funny, when I view the video, I think it shows he didnt really want to run him over and it was an accident. I also think Ward was an idiot for strolling into the track. ITs a shame he couldnt wait and beat up Stewart later...

• Like 1

Funny, when I view the video, I think it shows he didnt really want to run him over and it was an accident. I also think Ward was an idiot for strolling into the track.

I agree about Ward. Dumb move. Wonder about spotter audio to Stewart? BTW stewart had a camera in car. Wonder if we'll see it?

The guy in front of stewart burped his throttle too, to steer away from Ward. He tries to turn left, slides, and wing hits the guy. His view also may have been obstructed until last second by car in front of him. The tin foil hats are being distributed now. The famly will settle out of court for some dough, but that wont bring Ward back.

Exactly.

I really don't respect the judgment of anyone who's reading more in to it than this.

• Like 1

Funny, when I view the video, I think it shows he didnt really want to run him over and it was an accident. I also think Ward was an idiot for strolling into the track.

I agree about Ward. Dumb move. Wonder about spotter audio to Stewart? BTW stewart had a camera in car. Wonder if we'll see it?

They don't have spotters for those races, do they?

The guy in front of stewart burped his throttle too, to steer away from Ward.

How are you determining what various drivers did with their right foot? And where did you learn that power oversteer is a reasonable object avoidance technique at half speed under yellow? If someone was spinning their rear wheels at that point, they were trying to fling dirt on someone.

They don't have spotters for those races, do they?

Wondering about that. Seems like it'd be difficult, but maybe. Curious

How are you determining what various drivers did with their right foot? And where did you learn that power oversteer is a reasonable object avoidance technique at half speed under yellow? If someone was spinning their rear wheels at that point, they were trying to fling dirt on someone.

Bullshit. When you have to make a snap call to avoid a moving object, you do whatever you need to change the direction of the car.

• Like 2

Also, they were on the far end of the track from the camera view. Which means the sound of the engine revving is going to be a moment behind the video. So Stewart really accelerated just before he was beside Ward, not when he got to him.

Bullshit. When you have to make a snap call to avoid a moving object, you do whatever you need to change the direction of the car.

Yeah, you turn the steering wheel to the left, not snap the back end to the right with 1st-day-of-driving-school boneheaded-ness.

Yeah, you turn the steering wheel to the left, not snap the back end to the right with 1st-day-of-driving-school boneheaded-ness.

[/Quote]

And if he'd done that, he would've hit Ward squarely instead of a passing glance.

• Like 1

30 years of getting away with dickish-ness gives a huge amount of positive reinforcement to the notion you can get away with it one more time.

So the real agenda shows. You dislike the guy, so you paint him as a killer.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

[/Quote]

And if he'd done that, he would've hit Ward squarely instead of a passing glance.

No, he would have moved to the left. A race car steers just like any normal car when it's not near its limit. The steering wheel works just fine.

30 years of getting away with dickish-ness gives a huge amount of positive reinforcement to the notion you can get away with it one more time.

The real issue is a guy was killed under yellow (unheard of in even the most rookie of series) by one of the most talented drivers in history. That can only happen when both guys are doing something they have no business doing. What happened is beyond ridiculous. I've always liked Stewart for the most part.

The real issue is a guy was killed under yellow (unheard of in even the most rookie of series) by one of the most talented drivers in history. That can only happen when both guys are doing something they have no business doing. What happened is beyond ridiculous. I've always liked Stewart for the most part.

So tell me, why did the car in front of start also accelerate, and only narrowly avoided Ward?

• Like 2

I've always liked Stewart for the most part.

Not me. Dude is a dick.

He's caused more mayhem and destruction on a race track than anyone I can remember in NASCAR, other than Dale Sr.