What's Rush's best four album run?

Cygnus 2112

It's arguable, but Vapor Trails through Clockwork Angels.

I'd put Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels up against any other three out there actually. How awesome is that?

Is it opposite day? I'll go with Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, and Presto.

I can't go with just four, because to me Rush has always been epitomized my their unsurpassed five album run of 2112-MP. No other band has put out 5 flawless back-to-back albums of this magnitude (and to top it off, the albums before and following them are way better than most bands at their very best). Five, not four. Five.
  • Like 2

I can't go with just four, because to me Rush has always been epitomized my their unsurpassed five album run of 2112-MP. No other band has put out 5 flawless back-to-back albums of this magnitude (and to top it off, the albums before and following them are way better than most bands at their very best). Five, not four. Five.

these 5 albums also sort of chronicle Rush's rise to fame.. like Peart put it, "2112 spread like seeds by word of mouth but MP arrived in the fertile fields!"

I want to say 2112-MP and ignore Hems in the middle...but thats cheating...

Sooo...p/g-Presto still...

I'd put Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels up against any other three out there actually. How awesome is that?

Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels for sure, but Snakes & Arrows is nothing special, in my opinion.

• Like 3

Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels for sure, but Snakes & Arrows is nothing special, in my opinion.

My sentiments exactly.

:outtahere:

• Like 1

Head for z hills....... :outtahere:
  • Like 1

I'll pack two lunches.

• Like 1

I'll pack two lunches.

I guess that neans I need to pack my own...

I'll pack two lunches.

Bring dessert.

I'll pack two lunches.

Bring dessert.

What? I like Far Cry and MalNar! Does that not count? :sigh: I guess not.

I'll pack two lunches.

Bring dessert.

What? I like Far Cry and MalNar! Does that not count? :sigh: I guess not.

I like Far Cry, Armor and Sword, TMMB, TWTWB, and MalNar. But the album as a whole is quite a trudgefest :zzz:

If I could skip Hemispheres and Signals, I would say AFTK-p/g hands down!

For me, this is quite a hard question to answer. If it were concerning three albums, I would have to say Grace under Pressure, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. But given that I do not rate Signlas nor Presto very highly, then I would say Farewell to Kings, Hemishperes, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. Though each album has some weak moments, I find that the musical progression Rush made over the course of these four albums is untouched by any other four album period.

My qualm with putting Signals in with the other three mentioned above is that I find the production weak, and some of the songs simply not very interesting. SDame goes for Presto. I really appreciate the stripped-down sound, but the production is so flat, and the songs pretty mediocre (with the certain exception of Show Don´t Tell, which I pray to come back every tour!!!)

• Like 1

For me, this is quite a hard question to answer. If it were concerning three albums, I would have to say Grace under Pressure, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire. But given that I do not rate Signlas nor Presto very highly, then I would say Farewell to Kings, Hemishperes, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. Though each album has some weak moments, I find that the musical progression Rush made over the course of these four albums is untouched by any other four album period.

My qualm with putting Signals in with the other three mentioned above is that I find the production weak, and some of the songs simply not very interesting. SDame goes for Presto. I really appreciate the stripped-down sound, but the production is so flat, and the songs pretty mediocre (with the certain exception of Show Don´t Tell, which I pray to come back every tour!!!)

I agree. I feel negative towards both Hemispheres and Signals, and as much as I love Presto, it doesn't feel right to be in the same run as p/g-HYF. But I prefer it immensely to Signals!

As for Hemispheres, its good, but not great. I used to love it but ita charms have worn off whereas other albums have grown on me tenfold (PoW and Presto come to mind!).

I'll put in it pictures so it's easy to understand :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1e/Rush_A_Farewell_to_Kings.jpghttp://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/609/cover_4254132392013_r.jpg

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/coverpics/PeWcov.jpghttp://www.ferhiga.com/progre/portadas/rush-mpictures.jpg

Edited by Rushman14
  • Like 2