Jump to content


Bands like Rush


  • Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Band like Rush (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Who's your favorite band like Rush between those 4?

  1. Andrew Gorczca (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  2. Tiles (7 votes [63.64%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 63.64%

  3. David Barrett Trio (4 votes [36.36%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 36.36%

  4. Electrum (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

    The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

  • Members *
  • 14370 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Goatnut, TN
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

View PostRUDT, on 07 August 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 07 August 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

Triumph


Yes this band has been compared to Rush many times. A power trio with progressive rock influence in their hard-rock heavy metal style. The critics towards them like Rush has not always been good for this band. And now they are in the Candian Hall of Fame
Rik is a talented guitarist. His voice is a gift from God. Amazing pipes

Edited by Tombstone Mountain, 07 August 2014 - 02:26 PM.


Sponsored Post

#22 KennyLee

KennyLee

    Always A Bridesmaid

  • Members
  • 2937 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Delaware
  • Interests:Rush, hockey, Rush and hockey.

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 07 August 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

View PostRUDT, on 07 August 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 07 August 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

Triumph

Yes this band has been compared to Rush many times. A power trio with progressive rock influence in their hard-rock heavy metal style. The critics towards them like Rush has not always been good for this band. And now they are in the Candian Hall of Fame
Rik is a talented guitarist. His voice is a gift from God. Amazing pipes

He is amazing. Triumph's set up is like Rush but not their music. I don't think, anyway.

#23 Xanadoood

Xanadoood

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 5475 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gillette, Wyoming
  • Interests:Music
    Biking
    Mountain Climbing
    Running
    Movies
    Reading

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

View PostKennyLee, on 07 August 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 07 August 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

View PostRUDT, on 07 August 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 07 August 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

Triumph

Yes this band has been compared to Rush many times. A power trio with progressive rock influence in their hard-rock heavy metal style. The critics towards them like Rush has not always been good for this band. And now they are in the Candian Hall of Fame
Rik is a talented guitarist. His voice is a gift from God. Amazing pipes

He is amazing. Triumph's set up is like Rush but not their music. I don't think, anyway.

They were a lot cheesier than Rush. Emmet is really the only virtuoso of the three. They were always goofy to me. It seems like Emmet is forcing himself to play in that hard rockin style .. It's wierd... He should have been strictly a jazz fusion or classical guitarist. He's got great chops.

#24 KennyLee

KennyLee

    Always A Bridesmaid

  • Members
  • 2937 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Delaware
  • Interests:Rush, hockey, Rush and hockey.

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

View PostXanadoood, on 07 August 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

View PostKennyLee, on 07 August 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 07 August 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

View PostRUDT, on 07 August 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 07 August 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

Triumph

Yes this band has been compared to Rush many times. A power trio with progressive rock influence in their hard-rock heavy metal style. The critics towards them like Rush has not always been good for this band. And now they are in the Candian Hall of Fame
Rik is a talented guitarist. His voice is a gift from God. Amazing pipes

He is amazing. Triumph's set up is like Rush but not their music. I don't think, anyway.

They were a lot cheesier than Rush. Emmet is really the only virtuoso of the three. They were always goofy to me. It seems like Emmet is forcing himself to play in that hard rockin style .. It's wierd... He should have been strictly a jazz fusion or classical guitarist. He's got great chops.

Yeah, very radio hit friendly. They had their jazzier, bluesier pieces, but  overall they were playing the game (pun intended).

Emmet's voice is as good as his guitar playing, too. Very ear friendly and what a range. Holy s**t!

#25 rugen

rugen

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1184 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

Rick Emmet voice is more force than Geddy, but a bit like James Labrie, it has to match the metal style of those 2 bands. It can be disturbing, but they all have good voice.

#26 patjnev

patjnev

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 553 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hurst, Tx
  • Interests:Music

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

RASH

#27 Xanadoood

Xanadoood

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 5475 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Gillette, Wyoming
  • Interests:Music
    Biking
    Mountain Climbing
    Running
    Movies
    Reading

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

I typically don't like bands that supposedly are Rush like. Rush always had a cool , nerdy edge to them. Their music never seemed forced, and I think because they came from a hard rockin blues based style, and evolved from there, it gave them more cred. Bands like Dream Theater came right out if the gate with technical chops, and it just seemed forced.

#28 rugen

rugen

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1184 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

Here's another  song from the David Barrett trio :

https://www.youtube....h?v=DTxG_NtjR6U

Edited by RUDT, 07 August 2014 - 04:02 PM.


#29 Geddy's Soul Patch

Geddy's Soul Patch

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3835 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seattle
  • Interests:Music, Literature, Film, Star Trek, Time Travel, Going way, way, way back in time, Hobbiton, Making the joke seriously, Machines Can Love, Harvesting the Lumnian Fields

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

View PostXanadoood, on 07 August 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

I typically don't like bands that supposedly are Rush like. Rush always had a cool , nerdy edge to them. Their music never seemed forced, and I think because they came from a hard rockin blues based style, and evolved from there, it gave them more cred. Bands like Dream Theater came right out if the gate with technical chops, and it just seemed forced.
As soon as Dream Theater released an album they were already a parody of themselves. They're a joke. I saw them live a few months ago and it was difficult not to laugh at the absurdity of the whole thing

#30 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

    The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

  • Members *
  • 14370 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Goatnut, TN
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

View PostKennyLee, on 07 August 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

View PostXanadoood, on 07 August 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

View PostKennyLee, on 07 August 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 07 August 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

View PostRUDT, on 07 August 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 07 August 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

Triumph

Yes this band has been compared to Rush many times. A power trio with progressive rock influence in their hard-rock heavy metal style. The critics towards them like Rush has not always been good for this band. And now they are in the Candian Hall of Fame
Rik is a talented guitarist. His voice is a gift from God. Amazing pipes

He is amazing. Triumph's set up is like Rush but not their music. I don't think, anyway.

They were a lot cheesier than Rush. Emmet is really the only virtuoso of the three. They were always goofy to me. It seems like Emmet is forcing himself to play in that hard rockin style .. It's wierd... He should have been strictly a jazz fusion or classical guitarist. He's got great chops.

Yeah, very radio hit friendly. They had their jazzier, bluesier pieces, but  overall they were playing the game (pun intended).

Emmet's voice is as good as his guitar playing, too. Very ear friendly and what a range. Holy s**t!
At the US Festival they were amazing. Rik was lights out. Thunder Seven is a fantastic effort

#31 savagegrace26

savagegrace26

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5613 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hell
  • Interests:film, photography, chaos...

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

The only band like Rush is Rash

#32 WorkingAllTheTime

WorkingAllTheTime

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 2018 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas
  • Interests:Writing code for the priests of Syrinx.

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

View PostKennyLee, on 07 August 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 07 August 2014 - 02:25 PM, said:

View PostRUDT, on 07 August 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 07 August 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

Triumph

Yes this band has been compared to Rush many times. A power trio with progressive rock influence in their hard-rock heavy metal style. The critics towards them like Rush has not always been good for this band. And now they are in the Candian Hall of Fame
Rik is a talented guitarist. His voice is a gift from God. Amazing pipes

He is amazing. Triumph's set up is like Rush but not their music. I don't think, anyway.

I think there are some sound similarities between Triumph and early Rush, when they were still doing a little more straight forward rock.  Triumph didn't really evolve as much as Rush, though.  But, yeah, I agree the structural and cultural similarities are the more obvious thing.

#33 WorkingAllTheTime

WorkingAllTheTime

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 2018 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Texas
  • Interests:Writing code for the priests of Syrinx.

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:33 PM

The other day, my son (he is 20) mentioned to me how he found some odd similarities between Iron Maiden and Rush.  Not in overall sound, of course, but in a number of other things:
  • Both bands had a member who would become a mainstay in the band after their first album (Peart and Dickinson)
  • Likewise, Peart and Dickinson are known for their unique personalities and interests outside of music
  • Both bands initially drew heavily from the British music movements at their time (Rush from Cream/The Who/etc, Maiden from punk and metal)
  • Both bands have world class bass players
  • Both bands are sometime criticized for over-the-top and atypical lyrics
  • Both bands have lately taken to playing huge venues in Latin America
  • Both bands were the subject of documentaries done by McFadyen and Dunn
  • Both bands are beloved by Mike Portnoy  :)
It's really kind of weird.

So, yeah, I am gonna go ahead and vote for Maiden....

#34 Spaghetti Lee

Spaghetti Lee

    Prime Mover

  • Banned
  • 726 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

Who the hell is Electrum?  And who would want an electric rectum???

Ick.

#35 len(songs)

len(songs)

    The Archivist

  • Members
  • 14676 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Somewhere
  • Interests:Not being Not

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

View PostSpaghetti Lee, on 07 August 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

Who the hell is Electrum?  And who would want an electric rectum???

Ick.
Electrum is an alloy of silver and gold. And also a band. :facepalm:

#36 Spaghetti Lee

Spaghetti Lee

    Prime Mover

  • Banned
  • 726 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

View Postlen(songs), on 07 August 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

View PostSpaghetti Lee, on 07 August 2014 - 06:58 PM, said:

Who the hell is Electrum?  And who would want an electric rectum???

Ick.
Electrum is an alloy of silver and gold. And also a band. :facepalm:

Posted Image

#37 savagegrace26

savagegrace26

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5613 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hell
  • Interests:film, photography, chaos...

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

View PostWorkingAllTheTime, on 07 August 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

The other day, my son (he is 20) mentioned to me how he found some odd similarities between Iron Maiden and Rush.  Not in overall sound, of course, but in a number of other things:
  • Both bands had a member who would become a mainstay in the band after their first album (Peart and Dickinson)
  • Likewise, Peart and Dickinson are known for their unique personalities and interests outside of music
  • Both bands initially drew heavily from the British music movements at their time (Rush from Cream/The Who/etc, Maiden from punk and metal)
  • Both bands have world class bass players
  • Both bands are sometime criticized for over-the-top and atypical lyrics
  • Both bands have lately taken to playing huge venues in Latin America
  • Both bands were the subject of documentaries done by McFadyen and Dunn
  • Both bands are beloved by Mike Portnoy  :)
It's really kind of weird.

So, yeah, I am gonna go ahead and vote for Maiden....


Rock in Rio and Rush in Rio...

#38 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

    Vapor Trail

  • Members
  • 18335 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NO FUTURE.
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

I have never even heard of any of these bands listed in the poll. Despite listening to a lot of different music myself outside of Rush, I guess I'm very ignorant as f**k.

Edited by PolarizeMe, 07 August 2014 - 09:43 PM.


#39 savagegrace26

savagegrace26

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5613 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hell
  • Interests:film, photography, chaos...

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:57 PM

Why is there no "none of the above" option?

#40 rugen

rugen

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1184 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:09 AM

sorry double post

Edited by RUDT, 08 August 2014 - 04:12 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users