Bands like Rush

rugen

Favorite Band like Rush  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who's your favorite band like Rush between those 4?

• Andrew Gorczca
    • Tiles
    • David Barrett Trio
    • Electrum

This song from Tiles Beneath the Surface is full of Liefson guitars sound and Geddy's bass lines.

http://youtu.be/Udp_byVK8xk

I can hear that.

The only thing I hear is the lack of good music.

I think they sound damn good, Slappy!!!!

How did you find out my real name??? :rage:

I thought it was Gracie... :huh:

Dream Theater. I don't particularly like any of the bands on your list, but I love Dream Theater, to the extent that I use Petrucci Jazz Picks, Mike Portnoy Sticks and the Portnoy Cowbell/Tambourine rig extensively. And come on, the music just screams Rush, and who can hate the LaBrie/Petrucci cover of Tears?

Dream Theater. I don't particularly like any of the bands on your list, but I love Dream Theater, to the extent that I use Petrucci Jazz Picks, Mike Portnoy Sticks and the Portnoy Cowbell/Tambourine rig extensively. And come on, the music just screams Rush, and who can hate the LaBrie/Petrucci cover of Tears?

You didn't check the fist post of this topic, that explain why i left out DT. For me, i had my DT phase, now i have moved on by discovering new metal band more interesting like Leprous and Haken. But you're right there's some Rush's influence on DT's music at times in a definitive more metal edge than Rush who is more hard prog rock oriented.

Dream Theater are a great gimmick IMO. The guys can shred like no one else, but they fail miserably at creating powerful moments. Rush are all very talented musicians, but what makes them great is their ability to write melodies and communicate emotions through their music.

My band. Super influenced by the boys!

(Music Video for our single from our debut record)

Wow! Great song with Alex's influence with the solo near the end... Can't wait for the full album. :guitar:

My band. Super influenced by the boys!

(Music Video for our single from our debut record)

Wow! Great song with Alex's influence with the solo near the end... Can't wait for the full album. :guitar:

Thanks a lot, our album actually dropped back in July of 2012, lol! We're currently working on some new material that should be released by the summer time.

Question -- any news bands you folks recommend similar to 80's synth-period Rush? Would be interesting.

Gallion and Tiles are the closest to that era, but don't expect a copy, because Rush is very unique. See clips above this post about those 2 bands.

i never understood the dream theatre/Rush comparison. I just don't hear it.

Yes, it's not that obvious, but it's there sometimes with Rush most heavy albums, but for the overall sound, DT is much closer to Metallica.

• Like 1

Since Tiles is leading the poll, i think it would be appropriate to give some news about the new album :

Detroit’s progressive rock mainstays TILES have re-titled their sixth studio release “Pretending to Run”. Produced by Terry Brown (Rush, Fates Warning), the 100-minute two-disc set is a song cycle about unexpected and unwanted change – a dark tale of betrayal, disillusionment and isolation.

Says guitarist Chris Herin: “We knew this was an ambitious project – lyrically and musically – but we didn’t plan on it ballooning into a double album! It just happened. The songs kept coming and the storyline demanded more trips into the central character’s troubled thoughts and states of mind. So…, here we are with an elaborate concept album that follows in the best of Prog traditions. Each disc essentially plays like one long song, complete with recurring themes, reprises and segues. To help deliver the songs to their full potential we’ve enlisted a string quartet, a 25-piece choir and a host of special guests.”

Lending their talents to “Pretending to Run” is an impressive cast of supporting collaborators: Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull), Mike Portnoy (Transatlantic, ex-Dream Theater), Mike Stern (Miles Davis), Kim Mitchell (Max Webster), Adam Holzman (Steven Wilson Band), Colin Edwin (Porcupine Tree), Joe Deninzon (Stratospheerius), Kevin Chown (Tarja Turunen, Chad Smith), Mark Mikel (Pillbugs), Tim Michling (Ann Arbor Symphony), Renaissance Voices (Henry Ford College) and Matthew Parmenter (Discipline).

Not to sound so predictable but there really is no other band like Rush. They have covered so many different styles and sounds throughout their career it's impossible to believe that another band has accomplished that kind of sonic range. Even other prog bands I love like Tool or PT, unfortunately most of their offerings sound a lot alike. They find a good formula and they stick with it. Rush, for whatever reason, never did that. For better or worse, based on your own ears, they have never made the same album twice. Hell they often can't even make the same sounding verse twice. Truly a unique and one of a kind act. I'm happy to say I love their music.
  • Like 3