What is your favorite opening track?

len(songs)

Best Opening Track  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite opening track on a Rush album?

• Finding My Way
    • Anthem
    • Bastille Day
    • 2112 Overture
    • A Farewell To Kings
    • Hemispheres Prelude
    • The Spirit Of Radio
    • Tom Sawyer
    • Subdivisions
    • Distant Early Warning
    • The Big Money
    • Force Ten
    • Show Don't Tell
    • Dreamline
    • Animate
    • Test For Echo
    • One Little Victory
    • Far Cry
    • Caravan

I've been thinking about how the first track on a Rush album tends to be a more well-known song from the album, and I thought it would be interesting to see what others thought about these opening tracks. So, what is your favorite opening track on a Rush album?

Subdivisions. When they opened the CA Tour with this I almost shat myself.

Honorable mention goes to Hemispheres Prelude, Far Cry, The Spirit Of Radio, 2112 Overture, and Test For Echo.

• Like 1

A Farewell to Kings for me. I love the combination of synth and classical guitar. Best opening to any album ever. Honorable mentions to Hemispheres, Subdivisions, Spirit, and Big Money
  • Like 1

Subdivisions. When they opened the CA Tour with this I almost shat myself.

Honorable mention goes to Hemispheres Prelude, Far Cry, The Spirit Of Radio, 2112 Overture, and Test For Echo.

Same here.

The poll is sneaky as it seems to discourage me from choosing all 20 plus minutes of awesomeness of 2112 or Hemispheres. I think I have to go with The Spirit of Radio, though I could make a case for every song minus GuP through Presto, Counterparts through Vapor Trails and CA (great album, but the opener does not compete with most album openers, even though it's awesome).
  • Like 1

I voted for far cry not because it's my favourite song there (that would either be farewell to kings or possibly caravan) but because I think that is the best as an actual opener. In my opinion it's the perfect opening song for an album. :)
  • Like 1

This a pretty sweet toopic. I'm just amazed about how many of those songs I said, "That's the greatest album opener ever!"

Anyway I went with 2112 Overture. That song I think is like the opener to a more mature and higher quatily Rush than the previous albums.

And boy do the boys shine one that. The drums, the bass, the guitar, man that guitar is awesome!

Tom Sawyer... a big opening blast of a huge E followed by about 40 minutes of musical brilliance. :haz: Edited by CygnusGal

I voted for far cry not because it's my favourite song there (that would either be farewell to kings or possibly caravan) but because I think that is the best as an actual opener. In my opinion it's the perfect opening song for an album. :)

It does kind of explode into existence, doesn't it. Then again, so does Hemispheres... :)

• Like 1

This is sooooooo funny to me!! Obviously it's "Hemispheres Prelude" for me!

I remember when RUSH released that little teaser opener to "Far Cry!" Everyone on here had a hard on! Rush Forum Freaks couldn't believe how the intro to "Far Cry" sounded like the "Hemispheres Prelude!"

Even I was excited!!

Alas at the end of the day it was simply premature e-jubilation!

LOL!