Disk98

They probably have to tune it down again. They really should. Geddy botched it last tour. If he wants to sing it again, it should be tuned down another half-step to D-flat. Or do you think that would ruin it? Edited by Disk98

I really wish they didn't play 2112 on the next tour. If any epic, play either a bit of Hemispheres or The Camera Eye.

I want no 2112, I want full Cygnus X-1, Jacob's Ladder l, and Xanadu. By-tor would be cool and same with Science but not sure if they will actually do them.

• Like 5

I really wish they didn't play 2112 on the next tour. If any epic, play either a bit of Hemispheres or The Camera Eye.

I want no 2112, I want full Cygnus X-1, Jacob's Ladder l, and Xanadu. By-tor would be cool and same with Science but not sure if they will actually do them.

Xanadu would be brilliant! I think the R30 version is better than the studio version. What would you say to that as an opener? Mind boggling to think about

• Like 1

Drop 2112./Priests. i'm over it. And Ged does worse and worse with it.

Mick

I can relate to that. Priests from 1976 was just...not so good either

Drop 2112./Priests. i'm over it. And Ged does worse and worse with it.

Mick

I can relate to that. Priests from 1976 was just...not so good either

:eh: :o
  • Like 2

I like the way you think. 2112 is a great song but they never play all of it. I would gladly give it up for these others!

If you think Geddy has trouble with 2112 O/T but can pull off Cygnus X-1 then you're crazy.

I'm all for By-Tor and Natural Science, but I would like them to keep 2112 in the set. He sounded fine at my show, but my show was also the last one on the CA Tour, so he probably got his shit together real good for TOS.

Xanadu would be brilliant! I think the R30 version is better than the studio version. What would you say to that as an opener? Mind boggling to think about

How is the R30 version better? Because they cut out the beautiful opening and the second verse and chorus? Because Geddy's synth tone sucked? Because Ged struggled to hit the notes? I'm confused

How is the R30 version better? Because they cut out the beautiful opening and the second verse and chorus? Because Geddy's synth tone sucked? Because Ged struggled to hit the notes? I'm confused

The studio version's certainly better but the R30 version's still pretty good, I think. I thought Geddy's vocals were actually really quite good on it, oddly enough. His voice was still really good a decade ago, he could still hit the high notes to a degree and he could actually "sing" as well. These days he struggles to do both properly.

• Like 2

The studio version's certainly better but the R30 version's still pretty good, I think. I thought Geddy's vocals were actually really quite good on it, oddly enough. His voice was still really good a decade ago, he could still hit the high notes to a degree and he could actually "sing" as well. These days he struggles to do both properly.

On the R30 version, Geddy sang the opening beautifully, everything else...meh, he pulled it off though

I agree with this. It wasn't until that Snakes and Arrows that things began to really go downhill voice-wise.

• Like 2

I could first hear a change in Geddy's voice on the Test For Echo Tour. It didn't get worse until about 2007. Of course his voice is still good, just not what it once was.

You are right too. I was listening to a bootleg last week and noticed him already having a hard time in simple songs - Time Stand Still for one. I don't remember what tour it was. Sometime in 1994. But he already couldn't do a song he had only recorded seven years earlier. It (his voice) seemed to pick up for Rio and R30.

• Like 2

I'm really doing poorly today.

It wasn't 1994. It was 1992. Here's what I wrote:

Mirrors January 30, 1992

I don't know if Geddy was tired, but it sounds like he was having trouble hitting the notes on some of the songs (Time Stand Still, Dreamline etc.).

I could first hear a change in Geddy's voice on the Test For Echo Tour. It didn't get worse until about 2007. Of course his voice is still good, just not what it once was.

Again,

Like I have posted before about his vocals. The guy is not getting any younger. Just adapt to the situation and be happy the band is still around and touring. :rush:

• Like 3

I'll speak for myself.

I never knew that a singing voice could go, so that is why I have noticed his singing. I used to think - once a singer, always - but apparently I was wrong. Not that a voice is completely lost, but that it changes over the course of decades.

I'll speak for myself.

I never knew that a singing voice could go, so that is why I have noticed his singing. I used to think - once a singer, always - but apparently I was wrong. Not that a voice is completely lost, but that it changes over the course of decades.

I feel like Geddy basically had the same thing happen to him as Elton John did. It's like his balls finally dropped, his voice was very thin back in the day and it's a lot thicker now, he does struggle to hit notes, but he still hits them and he sounds fine doing it
  • Like 2

I'll speak for myself.

I feel like Geddy basically had the same thing happen to him as Elton John did. It's like his balls finally dropped, his voice was very thin back in the day and it's a lot thicker now, he does struggle to hit notes, but he still hits them and he sounds fine doing it

He sounds like he strains to hit them to me.

• Like 1

I'll speak for myself.

He definitely strains, but the notes come out clear for the most part. And actually, he's been going for notes that he hasn't previously gone for. For example, on The CA tour during Big Money when he sang "on a tumble of the dice" he sang the high harmony for the first time, even on the PoW tour he went lower. His voice might be feeling better than we think

I'll speak for myself.

He definitely strains, but the notes come out clear for the most part. And actually, he's been going for notes that he hasn't previously gone for. For example, on The CA tour during Big Money when he sang "on a tumble of the dice" he sang the high harmony for the first time, even on the PoW tour he went lower. His voice might be feeling better than we think

Maybe they should take a two day break between concerts instead of one to conserve his voice so he doesn't tire out so fast.

The man is 61. No matter what anyone here may think, there is no doubt that the past forty years have taken quite a toll on him physically.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I'll speak for myself.

:goodone:

That's just it,

He makes the best of the situtiation live. The last concert that I attended in Ft.Lauderdale he took a sip of water after every song he sang. I could see that he was doing the best he could. I admit I felt a little sorry for him. But that was because seeing these guys back in the day when it was effortless to sing and play people take it for granted now.

• Like 2