Macbook Pro 15" vs Toshiba Satellite S55-A5295

Nate2112

So, if anybody out there wants a Toshiba Satellite S55-A5295 that has 1TB of hard disc memory and 12GB of RAM as well as a quad core processor in exchange for a MacBook Pro 15"? I am willing to go 13" for drastic measures, but I'm looking primarily for a MacBook Pro 15". Preferably a newer model. Thanks!

I dont know a ton about computers, but you are talking about trading your 400-500 laptop for one that probably costs over a thousand

I dont know a ton about computers, but you are talking about trading your 400-500 laptop for one that probably costs over a thousand

My Toshiba is worth 800-1000 USD. I'm also looking for any model above 2012. On craigslist, the Macbooks go for the same price as my laptop so I assumed otherwise

MacBooks are more popular and I think it will be difficult to trade your Toshiba for one. A lot of it is due to hype. If possible stay away from any 2011 models, as they have a record of frying the GPU making it an expensive paperweight. Also if you get one of the newest MacBook Pros with everything soldered to the logic board, be aware that almost any hardware failure will result in replacing all the guts - that's gonna be extremely expensive. It is possible to fix things on component level but that is not Apples policy.

MacBooks are more popular and I think it will be difficult to trade your Toshiba for one. A lot of it is due to hype. If possible stay away from any 2011 models, as they have a record of frying the GPU making it an expensive paperweight. Also if you get one of the newest MacBook Pros with everything soldered to the logic board, be aware that almost any hardware failure will result in replacing all the guts - that's gonna be extremely expensive. It is possible to fix things on component level but that is not Apples policy.

You said the 2011 and 2013-2014 models aren't good, but what about the 2012? That's what is going on craigslist now

You said the 2011 and 2013-2014 models aren't good, but what about the 2012? That's what is going on craigslist now

Depends when in 2012 (early, mid or late 2012) the model's from. Mid-2012 was when Apple first started soldering everything to the logic board but that was only with the retina display models. I believe 2012 was also the last year they sold the non-retina model.

The 2012 models should be fine. If it was me I would go after one of those :)

Everything I see on Craigslist is either extremely old macbooks (which I have no interest in) or the mid 2012 ones. I added, to my craigslist post, a bundle package of a midi keyboard (M-Audio Oxygen 25 Midi Controller) and my own copy of FL Studio. Now the total is $1100. On Gadgetvalue.com, I filled out the form and it told me the price range was between $827-$861 so I found the middle ($850) and I added $150 for the midi controller and an extra $100 for the FL Studio package.

Unless you're going for something the macbooks have exclusively, I don't really recommend them. They tend to be overpriced and underperform. You're basically paying for battery life (which if you shop around you can still get an awesome battery life on windows laptops for less), their customer service/apple care (which is awesome if you're the kind of person who drops/breaks electronics frequently) and the super light weight and compact size (which in this day and age is irrelevant since most laptops are under 5 lbs -- very portable).

Your Toshiba is a great little machine. Assuming it is in mind condition I see a similar model on amazon.ca for $950 and I'm certain I can find it for less if I looked around. Used means it's worth $500 tops used. I also doubt too many people will pay extra for FL studio. I'd recommend selling FL Studio and your midi controller separately from the laptop. You're more likely to get more in total than selling them together.

I don't see why you'd want to trade that laptop.

Edited by USB Connector