Tuning Down Songs

Pars123

I guess I'm going to be the one who goes against the grain on this one. I would rather they not tune stuff down. Some songs just don't sound right unless they're in the original key. I know some people can't tell, but it's real obvious to me. I haven't liked how they've tuned down 2112 in concert now for a long while, just sounds odd to me. Like it's in slow motion.

Ever heard of Zeppelin? they are from England. Go listen to the 2007 O2 show. Rush can do that. And IT WILL STILL SOUND LIKE RUSH.... if you really need it to match the studio recordings, 2 things- 1. it's never going to happen cuz ged is older now and secondly- stay home and whack off listening to the studio albums. Geese freaking louise.

Chill out dude. :LOL:

Yeah, that did come across a little angry. Apparently this zeppelin is from England.

I guess I'm going to be the one who goes against the grain on this one. I would rather they not tune stuff down. Some songs just don't sound right unless they're in the original key. I know some people can't tell, but it's real obvious to me. I haven't liked how they've tuned down 2112 in concert now for a long while, just sounds odd to me. Like it's in slow motion.

Ever heard of Zeppelin? they are from England. Go listen to the 2007 O2 show. Rush can do that. And IT WILL STILL SOUND LIKE RUSH.... if you really need it to match the studio recordings, 2 things- 1. it's never going to happen cuz ged is older now and secondly- stay home and whack off listening to the studio albums. Geese freaking louise.

Chill out dude. :LOL:

Yeah, that did come across a little angry. Apparently this zeppelin is from England.

Oh really? Never heard of them. :LOL:

• Like 3

Tuning down is tricky. It changes everything, and I hear it immediately.

I'd rather see them tune down a 1/2 step for the entire show, which would save Ged's voice for the tour and expand the repertoire of songs they can still play.

That being said, they could tune down a whole step for stuff from the 1st 4 albums, and it would sound almost Alice In Chains like at the somewhat slower tempo they'd surely play at. WHAT YOU'RE DOING or SOMETHING FOR NOTHING would sound great like this.

• Like 1

:popcorn:

I would have to say that I'm against dropped tuning. Songs like 2112 don't have their original fire or drive when the tuning is darkened by dropping a whole step. I can't imagine Fly by Night being dropped a couple of tones, as it would lose the restless energy of the original. Tuning and the key of a song are so important to the mood and feel. Maybe most fans wouldnt notice, but is it fair to the legacy of the song, to play it in any form?

As much as it pains me to say it, I'd rather not hear the songs than hear them with dropped tuning.

Yes, they have all earned it. And they have all earned a long vacation as well as retirement too should they choose to do so. They have worked and worked hard for everything they have and in order to keep what they have.

:goodone: :cosmo:

• Like 1

I would have to say that I'm against dropped tuning. Songs like 2112 don't have their original fire or drive when the tuning is darkened by dropping a whole step. I can't imagine Fly by Night being dropped a couple of tones, as it would lose the restless energy of the original. Tuning and the key of a song are so important to the mood and feel. Maybe most fans wouldnt notice, but is it fair to the legacy of the song, to play it in any form?

As much as it pains me to say it, I'd rather not hear the songs than hear them with dropped tuning.

Yes it's fair to the legacy because it's still the Orginal band playing it. Were not talking about a band that don't have the original members anymore. Honestly, the legacy would be fine and it would still be kick ass to hear live.

• Like 3

I don't think in a live situation many of you could say with any certainty whether a song has been tuned down a full step or not. Two full steps is a little more noticeable, but its still a guess. There's a handful of tunes on Celebration day that are in their original key and when listening to the concert as a whole I never really notice which tunes are up and which are down.

Where it gets tricky is in the number of instruments you need to carry because you always need spares, so you need spares of all the guitars in all different keys. Keyboards and pedals have to be tuned to one or the other. But most of all, playing a two step down guitar just doesn't feel right, especially if you are already accustomed to playing really light gauge strings. Everything starts to feel sloppy. Bends are inconsistent. But in the end, if they want to play those songs they really don't have much of a choice do they?

I don't remember which one of you said this... But I've been thinking about it. We could potentially hear full 2112, Fly By Night, Bastille Day, all those great songs from the 70's that are above his range nowadays. Along with the songs that he could still sing now (Hemispheres Prelude, Tears, Xanadu, etc) they could just tune it down! Does it really make a difference if they tune it down a step? Or half a step? They're still singing it! It's still awesome! It's still Rush, and Rush is badass!

:rush: :Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

Couldn't agree more. I'd rather hear Hemispheres in E or D (or C lol) than not at all.

• Like 2

I don't think in a live situation many of you could say with any certainty whether a song has been tuned down a full step or not. Two full steps is a little more noticeable, but its still a guess. There's a handful of tunes on Celebration day that are in their original key and when listening to the concert as a whole I never really notice which tunes are up and which are down.

Where it gets tricky is in the number of instruments you need to carry because you always need spares, so you need spares of all the guitars in all different keys. Keyboards and pedals have to be tuned to one or the other. But most of all, playing a two step down guitar just doesn't feel right, especially if you are already accustomed to playing really light gauge strings. Everything starts to feel sloppy. Bends are inconsistent. But in the end, if they want to play those songs they really don't have much of a choice do they?

Well in that case, just have a nice block of these puppies in a row for an encore or something:

Cygnus X-I

Hemispheres

Bastille Day

Farewell to Kings

Xanadu

Something for Nothing

..And then go and grab the standard tuned guitars after and play superconductor or something :D

• Like 1

I think they should leave them them same key and just let Geddy sing it an octave lower. Either way would be fine with me.

I think they should leave them them same key and just let Geddy speak the lyrics.

Then they could call it the Shatner tour.

Bones. set a course. east... of LYRA

northwest. OF. Pegasus!

On! MY! ship, the 'USS Enterprise'

WHEELING. through. the-galaxies...

Headed. fortheHEART! of.. Cygnus!

Headlong.. In-TO!!!. ..mys-ter-y...!

(Well someone had to ;))

• Like 3

I think they should leave them them same key and just let Geddy sing it an octave lower. Either way would be fine with me.

I think they should leave them them same key and just let Geddy speak the lyrics.

Then they could call it the Shatner tour.

Bones. set a course. east... of LYRA

northwest. OF. Pegasus!

On! MY! ship, the 'USS Enterprise'

WHEELING. through. the-galaxies...

Headed. fortheHEART! of.. Cygnus!

Headlong.. In-TO!!!. ..mys-ter-y...!

(Well someone had to ;))

:smoke:

• Like 2

Come to think of it, Xanadu could be tuned down a half-step to E-flat (riff) / D-flat (verses/chorus). Maybe then we'll get the full 11 minutes.