Tuning Down Songs

Pars123

I don't remember which one of you said this... But I've been thinking about it. We could potentially hear full 2112, Fly By Night, Bastille Day, all those great songs from the 70's that are above his range nowadays. Along with the songs that he could still sing now (Hemispheres Prelude, Tears, Xanadu, etc) they could just tune it down! Does it really make a difference if they tune it down a step? Or half a step? They're still singing it! It's still awesome! It's still Rush, and Rush is badass!

:rush: :Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

• Like 6

I would listen to them but they tend to bother my ears. Plus, geddy is getting to the point that we aren't talking about a step. His natural voice is probably in a different octave now than he used in the 70s.
  • Like 2

We might start to even see them tune down to 2 whole steps for a few songs, I think. Perhaps Fly by Night and Bastille Day would need to be tuned down 2 whole steps (that would be C-F-B-E on bass I believe) if he wants to sing them without borderline trashing his voice for the rest of the show. Regardless, I'd love to hear those songs in any shape or form, tuned-down, instrumental sections only, etc. I've seen several bands detune some older songs live for whatever reason and I don't see why Rush should be an exception to that rule.

I guess I'm going to be the one who goes against the grain on this one. I would rather they not tune stuff down. Some songs just don't sound right unless they're in the original key. I know some people can't tell, but it's real obvious to me. I haven't liked how they've tuned down 2112 in concert now for a long while, just sounds odd to me. Like it's in slow motion.
  • Like 1

I think they should leave them them same key and just let Geddy sing it an octave lower. Either way would be fine with me.

I think they should leave them them same key and just let Geddy speak the lyrics.

Then they could call it the Shatner tour.

• Like 3

JMO,

There are too many purists out there that can't deal with "father time" and adapt to the current sitution with the boys aging. :codger: I Saw Rush for the first time in 1977. Saw them twice this last tour. Sure, Geddy is not 25 any more. I just adapt to the current situation with the vocals. It's there amazing energy and musical talent that keeps blowing me away at there age! :haz: :rush:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 8

I think they should leave them them same key and just let Geddy sing it an octave lower. Either way would be fine with me.

I'm ok with this. They just need to be careful that they don't end up sounding like type o negative.

• Like 1

In my opinion it would be fine to tune down songs.

This would work on some songs I think but not all of them. Some would sound a bit funny though. As long as they play some of the old ones I'll be happy however Geddy sings them.

• Like 1

In my opinion it would be fine to tune down songs.

This would work on some songs I think but not all of them. Some would sound a bit funny though. As long as they play some of the old ones I'll be happy however Geddy sings them.

Yes I agree. I really meant anything prior to PeW. Anything PeW and forward really needs to be sung in its natural range or tuned down a bit.

:codger:

• Like 1

I think they've downtuned Xanadu as far back as the Moving Pictures tour. All the 80s stuff they can definitely play in the original pitch.

Xanadu is actually in the wrong key on the album. It is a weird "between E and F" key, probably closer to F. It is played in E though. The thinking is that they recorded it all and it came out perfect :wub: but it was a little slow. Back then the only way to speed it up was to speed the tape which raised the pitch a little. They've always played it in E though.

I guess my point is that Xanadu has been dropped (in a way) a half step since they first started playing it and no one has noticed. If it is just a half stop or at the most a full step, most people will not hear a difference at all.

• Like 3

We might start to even see them tune down to 2 whole steps for a few songs, I think. Perhaps Fly by Night and Bastille Day would need to be tuned down 2 whole steps (that would be C-F-B-E on bass I believe) if he wants to sing them without borderline trashing his voice for the rest of the show. Regardless, I'd love to hear those songs in any shape or form, tuned-down, instrumental sections only, etc. I've seen several bands detune some older songs live for whatever reason and I don't see why Rush should be an exception to that rule.

uhhh...not possible. 2 whole steps???????????????? geesh.
  • Like 1

I guess I'm going to be the one who goes against the grain on this one. I would rather they not tune stuff down. Some songs just don't sound right unless they're in the original key. I know some people can't tell, but it's real obvious to me. I haven't liked how they've tuned down 2112 in concert now for a long while, just sounds odd to me. Like it's in slow motion.

Ever heard of Zeppelin? they are from England. Go listen to the 2007 O2 show. Rush can do that. And IT WILL STILL SOUND LIKE RUSH.... if you really need it to match the studio recordings, 2 things- 1. it's never going to happen cuz ged is older now and secondly- stay home and whack off listening to the studio albums. Geese freaking louise.

Before I even read your post, this was my very thought.

I understand wanting to hear the songs, but they just don't sound the same when he sings them in a lower voice.

• Like 1

Ever heard of Zeppelin? they are from England. Go listen to the 2007 O2 show. Rush can do that. And IT WILL STILL SOUND LIKE RUSH.... if you really need it to match the studio recordings, 2 things- 1. it's never going to happen cuz ged is older now and secondly- stay home and whack off listening to the studio albums. Geese freaking louise.

Chill out dude. :LOL: