Snakes & Arrows VS Vapor Trails Remixed

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Snakes & Arrows VS Vapor Trails Remixed (59 member(s) have cast votes)

Snakes & Arrows VS Vapor Trails Remixed

1. Snakes & Arrows (21 votes [35.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.59%

2. Vapor Trails Remixed (38 votes [64.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Princess2112

Princess2112

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy and religions, Ayn Rand

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:18 PM

I'm curious about the 2 versions of VT. Was this the band's doing, or did another artist take it upon themselves to remix it?

Sponsored Post

#42 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10512 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:51 AM

I dig both and think VT is vastly improved by Bottrill’s work, but I prefer S&A on the whole by a slight margin.

#43 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 34815 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Type O Negative
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:21 AM

View PostPrincess2112, on 29 December 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

I'm curious about the 2 versions of VT. Was this the band's doing, or did another artist take it upon themselves to remix it?

The bands doing. It's official, and I am not even sure the original is even in print. Prefer the original but it might be time to revisit the remix!

#44 TheAccountant

TheAccountant

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1300 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:55 AM

I really like S & A.  Probably is the best album Rush did since Presto (IMO).  Great songs, great lyrics, great mixing.  One wonderful song after another.  Working Them Angels, The Main Monkey Business, Far Cry, A & S, The Larger Bowl, The Way the Wind Blows, Hope, We Hold On.  Even Faithless has grown on me.   Their are 1 or 2 week songs near the end of the album but for a long album to have as many great songs as it does - wow.

The original VT is not to my taste.  Not at all.

The remix?  Hmm.  Yes, I own it.  Yes I do try to listen to it once in a while (last time was a couple of months back).  It is much better than the original.  Much, much better.  So much so that it was about 3/4's of the way through the album before I developed a splitting headache.  With the original I find it to be only a couple of songs in.  

As for the material, Peaceable Kingdom, Ghost Rider & The Way it is are good / decent songs.  The rest don't do anything for me.  Some have spoken about the passion they hear in the album.  I don't hear it.  Even with the garage band style mixing being significantly improved, you still have the underlining lyrics which, frankly, I don't care for.  Perhaps if Neil had made himself the lead singer for this album I might hear something since it was such a personal album. Boy, thats a strange idea.  But he was not and Geddy just does not really project much that is striking to me even with the mixing improved - again, the lyrics in the first place don't do a lot for me.

S & A gets my vote for the reasons I have tried to explain above.  Not even close. Great album vs. very poor album.

#45 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4305 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:59 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 30 December 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

View PostPrincess2112, on 29 December 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

The bands doing. It's official, and I am not even sure the original is even in print. Prefer the original but it might be time to revisit the remix!

True the band (or some of them ) signed off on it, but David Bottrill was the guy who actually created it.from the original session tapes.

#46 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4305 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

View PostFridge, on 28 December 2017 - 03:42 AM, said:

Hmmm....polished turd vs polished turd

Hard to care really.

And yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users