Snakes & Arrows VS Vapor Trails Remixed

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Snakes & Arrows VS Vapor Trails Remixed (58 member(s) have cast votes)

Snakes & Arrows VS Vapor Trails Remixed

1. Snakes & Arrows (20 votes [34.48%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.48%

2. Vapor Trails Remixed (38 votes [65.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Princess2112

Princess2112

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy and religions, Ayn Rand

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:18 PM

I'm curious about the 2 versions of VT. Was this the band's doing, or did another artist take it upon themselves to remix it?

Sponsored Post

#42 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10487 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:51 AM

I dig both and think VT is vastly improved by Bottrill’s work, but I prefer S&A on the whole by a slight margin.

#43 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 32583 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:21 AM

View PostPrincess2112, on 29 December 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

I'm curious about the 2 versions of VT. Was this the band's doing, or did another artist take it upon themselves to remix it?

The bands doing. It's official, and I am not even sure the original is even in print. Prefer the original but it might be time to revisit the remix!

#44 TheAccountant

TheAccountant

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1294 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 11:55 AM

I really like S & A.  Probably is the best album Rush did since Presto (IMO).  Great songs, great lyrics, great mixing.  One wonderful song after another.  Working Them Angels, The Main Monkey Business, Far Cry, A & S, The Larger Bowl, The Way the Wind Blows, Hope, We Hold On.  Even Faithless has grown on me.   Their are 1 or 2 week songs near the end of the album but for a long album to have as many great songs as it does - wow.

The original VT is not to my taste.  Not at all.

The remix?  Hmm.  Yes, I own it.  Yes I do try to listen to it once in a while (last time was a couple of months back).  It is much better than the original.  Much, much better.  So much so that it was about 3/4's of the way through the album before I developed a splitting headache.  With the original I find it to be only a couple of songs in.  

As for the material, Peaceable Kingdom, Ghost Rider & The Way it is are good / decent songs.  The rest don't do anything for me.  Some have spoken about the passion they hear in the album.  I don't hear it.  Even with the garage band style mixing being significantly improved, you still have the underlining lyrics which, frankly, I don't care for.  Perhaps if Neil had made himself the lead singer for this album I might hear something since it was such a personal album. Boy, thats a strange idea.  But he was not and Geddy just does not really project much that is striking to me even with the mixing improved - again, the lyrics in the first place don't do a lot for me.

S & A gets my vote for the reasons I have tried to explain above.  Not even close. Great album vs. very poor album.

#45 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3962 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:59 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 30 December 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

View PostPrincess2112, on 29 December 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

The bands doing. It's official, and I am not even sure the original is even in print. Prefer the original but it might be time to revisit the remix!

True the band (or some of them ) signed off on it, but David Bottrill was the guy who actually created it.from the original session tapes.

#46 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3962 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:10 PM

View PostFridge, on 28 December 2017 - 03:42 AM, said:

Hmmm....polished turd vs polished turd

Hard to care really.

And yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users