Aftershock - Van Hagar

I'm of the opinion that Van Halen with Sammy Hagar wasn't nearly as good as the early years with Roth, but damn, they pulled this track out of their asses on what was probably the worst of the Van Hagar era. This song ROCKS! :haz:

• Like 4

With DRL, Van Halen were young and hungry for success, and they got it. Great innovative music from Eddie.

With Sammy, they became too pop for me. Don't get me wrong 5150, OU812 and F.U.C.K had some great songs but NOTHING Sammy has done with VH even comes close to this live performance. :finbar:

I've seen VH with both DLR and Sammy. When I went to see VH with DLR, I watched DLR as much as Eddie. With Sammy, I just watched Eddie.

http://youtu.be/OlZlOnLIelE

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

Eddie's playing is so much more electric during the Roth era. And Fair Warning is one of my favorite studio albums by anyone. There are no bad songs on any of the Roth era LPs. Some of the more self consciously pop stuff during the Hagar era isn't my cup of tea. Edited by Rick N. Backer
  • Like 2

Just goes to show you, Fair Warning was their worst selling album. I think it's their best. Edited by custom55
  • Like 2

I´m with Rick here, Van Halen and Van Hagar are two completely different bands.

Balance was a time of turmoil within the band, but that didn´t stop the album from having at least three gems: Aftershock, Seventh Seal and Feelin´. Here´s a live take of Aftershock:

• Like 2

Just goes to show you, Fair Warning was their worst selling album. I think it's their best.

Women & Children and Fair Warning are my favorite VH albums overall. Stellar guitar work.

Balance was a time of turmoil within the band, but that didn´t stop the album from having at least three gems: Aftershock, Seventh Seal and Feelin´. Here´s a live take of Aftershock:

I will say that Seventh Seal is also a badass tune.

• Like 1

Especially the live, extended version they played on a few dates on the Balance tour.

IMO Sammy pushed the band in terms of the music itself, his vocals were fantastic and fit perfectly.

Without Sammy, a song like Dreams would never exist. And 5150 , which was demoed while Roth was still in the band, would have sounded completely different. I like both sides of VH, and tried my best to like the third side when Cherone joined...after multiple listens to VHIII since its release, it still sounds like crap. And to think that they spend months on end producing it makes matters even worse. The only good thing about VHIII was the setlist of that tour.

I did not know this.

I knew about this guy auditioning, and also, believe it or not, Canadian singer Sass Jordan was considered to be the singer back then, which would have been even worse than Cherone.

I did not know this.

http://youtu.be/dxF4WRORQ9s

I knew about this guy auditioning, and also, believe it or not, Canadian singer Sass Jordan was considered to be the singer back then, which would have been even worse than Cherone.

You know, I actually don't blame Cherone for 3 stinking as bad as it does. With the exception of a couple of tunes, the songs are the problem. That has to fall on Eddie. His playing is so uninspired on that album. Cherone did a pretty good job with Mean Street live, too.

I did not know this.

http://youtu.be/dxF4WRORQ9s

You know, I actually don't blame Cherone for 3 stinking as bad as it does. With the exception of a couple of tunes, the songs are the problem. That has to fall on Eddie. His playing is so uninspired on that album. Cherone did a pretty good job with Mean Street live, too.

Nobody should blame Gary, I'm glad you feel that way.

Christ, he doesn't even sound like himself on 3. Gary is one of the most underrated and underappreciated rock voices ever, IMO. Dude had wicked range and could belt any song, and he proved that on the 3 Tour. It didn't help that he sang for (an also underappreciated) Extreme and a failed iteration of Van Halen. "Three" was Eddie's failure.

Edited by ZachenFoot

As for VH with Roth and Hagar, to me it's all the same and I love both eras. If you stuck a gun to my head and made me choose, I'd say Hagar era, but that's because all of my Van Halen experience has been in hindsight and I'm 100x the Hagar fan than I am Roth.

Eddie's playing was more reckless with Roth, but Hagar pushed every member's ability as a musician. It helped that Hagar himself was a damn good guitar player and his voice was far better than Roth's (DLR didn't need the voice, his swagger carried things just fine). VH "grew up" with Sammy, and I like that a lot. Both eras were great.

Aftershock is stellar. I love the Balance album. It just suffers the fate of songs like Can't Stop Loving You and Not Enough, along with the weird and uniniteresting instrumental tracks (save Baluchitherium, which is one of Ed's best pieces).

• Like 1

Agree. Also love Humans Being and Judgment Day as well. Wish more Van Hagar had that edge.

Agree. Also love Humans Being and Judgment Day as well. Wish more Van Hagar had that edge.

Humans Being is okay but that was right at the point where Eddie lost it with the booze. His playing is wayyy too sloppy. The drums are good though, AVH never disappoints.