Grace Under Pressure VS Power Windows

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Poll: Grace Under Pressure VS Power Windows (82 member(s) have cast votes)

Grace Under Pressure VS Power Windows

1. Grace Under Pressure (42 votes [51.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.22%

2. Power Windows (40 votes [48.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

Vapor Trail

• Members *
  • 18996 posts
  • Interests:Vinyl records and music in general.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

What album win between these two?

Sponsored Post

#2 Brucey

Brucey

Babycat's Nemesis

• Members *
  • 9024 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

Power Windows

#3 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42714 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:08 PM

Grace Under Pressure

#4 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27818 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:08 PM

Grace Under Pressure.......

#5 Geddy's Soul Patch

Geddy's Soul Patch

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3835 posts
  • Interests:Music, Literature, Film, Star Trek, Time Travel, Going way, way, way back in time, Hobbiton, Making the joke seriously, Machines Can Love, Harvesting the Lumnian Fields

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

I'm a big fan of both, but it's Power Windows for me. I really appreciate Alex's guitar work on PoW more, especially on Emotion Detector and Mystic Rhythms

#6 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

Professor Gumby

• Members
  • 64685 posts
  • Interests:All I ever really wanted to do was play the guitar 'n bend the string like "Reent-toont-teent-toont-teenooneenoonee"

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

Difficult...Posted Image

PoW (Right in the Kisser!) has some of my favourite synth era songs, particularly Marathon....but I think GuP is stronger overall

#7 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 17421 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

Power Windows
p/g is my least fav of the 80's run.

Mick

#8 BowlCity

BowlCity

Cutler's Like a Knife (but it feels so right)

• Members *
  • 10519 posts
  • Interests:Video games, computer programming, guitar, Da Bears and Cubs

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

Love both. Grace Under Pressure is in my top 3. Grace wins. First album where I loved every track on first listen (it took me a while to warm up to Witch Hunt)

#9 savagegrace26

savagegrace26

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5613 posts
  • Interests:film, photography, chaos...

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

PW is more consistent whereas P/G has a weak spot (The Body Electric) but PG has a better sound, the better songs are more engaging, and of course the album artwork blows PW away. PW is consistently good. P/G is more engaging.

Winner Grace Under Pressure.

#10 len(songs)

len(songs)

The Archivist

• Members
  • 14676 posts
  • Interests:Not being Not

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

P/G.

Vapor Trails Remixed vs Clockwork Angels should be on here...

View PostYour_Lion, on 02 August 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

Difficult...Posted Image

PoW (Right in the Kisser!) has some of my favourite synth era songs, particularly Marathon....but I think GuP is stronger overall
I agree with this completely.

Edited by len(songs), 02 August 2014 - 05:21 PM.

#11 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21906 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

Power Windows. I love all of the songs on it.  Not so much the other album.

#12 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 34299 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Type O Negative
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

Cannot vote. p/g through to HYF are all 10/10. Nope. Can't do it.

#13 H. P. L.

H. P. L.

Italy's High Protecter of Pooh

• Members *
  • 3081 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

Tie

#14 Irenicus

Irenicus

The Seeker

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, cycling, travelling, archaeology, astronomy

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

P/G for me. I always thought the 2nd half of Power Windows didn't quite match up to the first, although still quite good. While P/G has only one song (Red Lenses) I don't like as much as the rest.

#15 The Analog Grownup

The Analog Grownup

The Dane of the Culinary Arts

• Members *
  • 6153 posts
  • Interests:Slay the dragon, grab the gold, get the girl.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

Grace Under Pressure.

It's the record I enjoy listening to the most of all Rush records.

#16 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5206 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

PoW PoW PoW Pounding in your temples! (Sorry, I had to) :P

But yeah, Power Windows for me. GuP kinda didn't impress me too much the first couple times I heard it (it took a while to like The a Enemy Within, Kid Gloves, Red Lenses, and Between The Wheels that much). Power Windows was my first Rush album on vinyl, and I still think it' sustained an incredibly solid album, with such amazing synth work, which only seems to highlight how awesome the guitar is every time Alex gets a chance to come out front.

And dat bass line in Marathon, man!

#17 Spaghetti Lee

Spaghetti Lee

Prime Mover

• Banned
  • 726 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:21 PM

Power Windows accomplished the amazing.  Take a HORRIBLE choice in direction (80's sounding Casio keys-based "Tears for Fears" wannabe music) and actually make it GREAT and make it WORK!!!

Power Windows has so much against it...again, lame 80's keyboard sounds, massive 80's reverby digital production, lack of anything guitar-based, ect...but it TOTALLY works and is one of their BEST albums.  This same formula did NOT work on Hold Your Fire.  That proves that it's ultimately the SONGS and the performances that have to be THAT GREAT to overcome horrid 80's production and keyboards.  And, Power Windows does that.

The only songs that aren't up to muster are clearly "Emotion Detector" and to a lesser degree "Mystic Rhythms" which has grown better as time goes on.

Some of Neil's best drumming is on Power Windows...even though the "reverbed-to-the-back-of-the-stadium" 80's recording style sucks bison sack.  And while Geddy's Rick tone from 1980-81 is my favorite bass tone ever and Geddy ruthlessly discarding it was blasphemy...even I can admit that the Wal tone on Power Windows TOTALLY works for the material (but sounded horrible live on old songs...which Geddy tortured us for YEARS doing).  The bass playing on Power Windows is incredible, and a HUGE influence on my own playing.  But again, Power Windows' secret is the songs...the first six songs are just 80's perfection, especially "Grand Designs," "Marathon," and the beautiful "Middletown Dreams."  It's unreal that even while bathed in totally unfashionable terrible 80's production and keys, that this album ranks as one of their best...what could have been a death-knell turned out to be a treasure.  Only in the last two songs does the album lose a bit of steam.  But, those songs aren't "Kid Gloves" terrible, so they don't hurt the album that bad...and the rest is SOOOO good that it's hard to keep Power Windows down.

Grace Under Pressure, is ANOTHER great album.  But, in contrast, the BAD songs on the album just kill it...even after the amazing first four songs including GREAT songs such as "The Enemy Within" and the haunting "Afterimage."  But, for some unknown reason, Rush decided to start the second half of the album with the incredibly stupid "1-0-0-1 S.O.S" embarrassing crap and decided to follow that crap up with the gayest thing they every did to that point, "Kid Gloves" which made my own balls retract a few centimeters the first time I heard it.  Then, given the memory of the perfect first half of the album contrasted with the horror of "Kid Gloves," the album offends the listener even more with the beyond-silly and stupid "Red Lenses" where Geddy just sounds so lame I even wince to this day when I think of it.  Miraculously, "Between the Wheels" closes the album and redeems the band, especially when Geddy yells, "Brother can you spare another war" in his old high voice...it's a great closer, and one of the best tracks on the album.  But the trifecta of crotch lint before it almost kills a near majority of the album as a whole.  

So, Power Windows it is.

#18 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

• Members *
  • 14440 posts
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

View PostSpaghetti Lee, on 02 August 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

Power Windows accomplished the amazing.  Take a HORRIBLE choice in direction (80's sounding Casio keys-based "Tears for Fears" wannabe music) and actually make it GREAT and make it WORK!!!

Power Windows has so much against it...again, lame 80's keyboard sounds, massive 80's reverby digital production, lack of anything guitar-based, ect...but it TOTALLY works and is one of their BEST albums.  This same formula did NOT work on Hold Your Fire.  That proves that it's ultimately the SONGS and the performances that have to be THAT GREAT to overcome horrid 80's production and keyboards.  And, Power Windows does that.

The only songs that aren't up to muster are clearly "Emotion Detector" and to a lesser degree "Mystic Rhythms" which has grown better as time goes on.

Some of Neil's best drumming is on Power Windows...even though the "reverbed-to-the-back-of-the-stadium" 80's recording style sucks bison sack.  And while Geddy's Rick tone from 1980-81 is my favorite bass tone ever and Geddy ruthlessly discarding it was blasphemy...even I can admit that the Wal tone on Power Windows TOTALLY works for the material (but sounded horrible live on old songs...which Geddy tortured us for YEARS doing).  The bass playing on Power Windows is incredible, and a HUGE influence on my own playing.  But again, Power Windows' secret is the songs...the first six songs are just 80's perfection, especially "Grand Designs," "Marathon," and the beautiful "Middletown Dreams."  It's unreal that even while bathed in totally unfashionable terrible 80's production and keys, that this album ranks as one of their best...what could have been a death-knell turned out to be a treasure.  Only in the last two songs does the album lose a bit of steam.  But, those songs aren't "Kid Gloves" terrible, so they don't hurt the album that bad...and the rest is SOOOO good that it's hard to keep Power Windows down.

Grace Under Pressure, is ANOTHER great album.  But, in contrast, the BAD songs on the album just kill it...even after the amazing first four songs including GREAT songs such as "The Enemy Within" and the haunting "Afterimage."  But, for some unknown reason, Rush decided to start the second half of the album with the incredibly stupid "1-0-0-1 S.O.S" embarrassing crap and decided to follow that crap up with the gayest thing they every did to that point, "Kid Gloves" which made my own balls retract a few centimeters the first time I heard it.  Then, given the memory of the perfect first half of the album contrasted with the horror of "Kid Gloves," the album offends the listener even more with the beyond-silly and stupid "Red Lenses" where Geddy just sounds so lame I even wince to this day when I think of it.  Miraculously, "Between the Wheels" closes the album and redeems the band, especially when Geddy yells, "Brother can you spare another war" in his old high voice...it's a great closer, and one of the best tracks on the album.  But the trifecta of crotch lint before it almost kills a near majority of the album as a whole.  

So, Power Windows it is.
Tough one. Nice insights. PoW is IMO a flawless effort. Just amazing.

#19 Disk98

Disk98

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3936 posts
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:21 AM

Tough.  But you can't go wrong with Distant Early Warning, Red Sector A, Kid Gloves, The Enemy Within, Red Lenses, AND Between the Wheels on the same album!  The Body Electric is decent also.  I just don't really like Afterimage.  Power Windows is great, for sure—The Big Money, Marathon, Middletown Dreams, and Mystic Rhythms are all solid—but p/G wins this one.

Edited by Disk98, 03 August 2014 - 12:23 AM.

#20 g under p

g under p

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4875 posts
  • Interests:Music and Politics....painting, fishing and road cycling.

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

View PostThe Analog Grownup, on 02 August 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

Grace Under Pressure.

It's the record I enjoy listening to the most of all Rush records.

^^^^^That about sums it up for me.....I can listen to it from beginning to end with no hesitation. Also my first RUSH album I bought, my first live RUSH concert of 49 now, my first fight at a concert....basically the start of my RUSHMANIA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users