Not to be confused with hiding your wives and daughters

JARG

There is a lot to like about this. I need several more listens before I go into more detail. Right off the bat, I like that it's obviously an instrumental, as opposed to a song that sounds like it's missing lyrics.

1:10 to 1:46 is especially good. I like the chord movement.

Who played what? I figure JARG on guitar, but that's all I got.

There is a lot to like about this. I need several more listens before I go into more detail. Right off the bat, I like that it's obviously an instrumental, as opposed to a song that sounds like it's missing lyrics.

PMS = Prime Mover and Shaker. He's the guy with the big bottom. :)

The drums are midi.

The drums are midi.

Double-neck bass for proper big bottomness?

• Like 1

The drums are midi.

Double-neck bass for proper big bottomness?

Sextuple neck.

• Like 1

JARG,

I am impressed. That was a 4:23 instrumental and was never uninteresting or boring. I really like the 80's feel at the intro. Not "out of place" 80's but a retro feel that I really enjoyed. Nice interesting bass throughout.

Very much enjoyed it. :ebert:

JARG,

I am impressed. That was a 4:23 instrumental and was never uninteresting or boring. I really like the 80's feel at the intro. Not "out of place" 80's but a retro feel that I really enjoyed. Nice interesting bass throughout.

Thanks!

• Like 1

JARG,

Yes, the intro reminded me of "Talk To Ya Later" by The Tubes (good song!). But during the rest of it I wasn't instantly reminded of any other familiar song, and that's a good thing.

• Like 2

3:58 is right up my alley :D

Did you catch the measure of 9/8 in there? :)

Sounding great my friends. Are you playing music together or is it done over the Internet? :)

It's done over the internet. This song was a sort of experiment. We agreed that we wanted to do an instrumental together, but with a spin: I recorded the first minute or so as just guitars and drums and shipped that off to Jeremy, who then added bass to it. He then recorded the next minute or so as just bass and drums and sent it back to me to add guitars to, and we went back and forth like that until the song felt done. The key idea here is that at no point did I say to him, "I was thinking you could do such and such during this part" and he, likewise, returned the favor. Each of our segments was written without any suggestions by the other person -- we gave each other free reign to do whatever we wanted with our segments, compositionally speaking, and we gave each other free reign to do whatever we wanted with each other's segments as well. It was like Christmas day each time I got the file from him: I had no idea what bass stuff he had added to my segment, and I had no idea what he'd come up with for the new segment. I suspect his experience was similar. :)

• Like 1

JARG,

Yes, the intro reminded me of "Talk To Ya Later" by The Tubes (good song!). But during the rest of it I wasn't instantly reminded of any other familiar song, and that's a good thing.

Yup. The intro dates back to the mid 80s. I'd wanted to write something akin to the intro to Panama. I was only barely aware of The Tubes at that time (I think the only song I'd ever heard of theirs at that point was She's a Beauty, and that's only because it got a lot of play on MTV). I eventually did hear Talk To You Later and did a :facepalm: when I heard it!

Very nice. Enjoyed it very much. The reference to The Tubes was spot on...... :)
  • Like 2

HEY!!! :P

Sounding great my friends. Are you playing music together or is it done over the Internet? :)

We've never met in person. Which I still marvel over.... wait until the MotH release; I tink there are some great collaberations, given that we've been communicating via 1s and 0s!!

Edited by Prime Mover and Shaker

It's done over the internet. This song was a sort of experiment. We agreed that we wanted to do an instrumental together, but with a spin: I recorded the first minute or so as just guitars and drums and shipped that off to Jeremy, who then added bass to it. He then recorded the next minute or so as just bass and drums and sent it back to me to add guitars to, and we went back and forth like that until the song felt done. The key idea here is that at no point did I say to him, "I was thinking you could do such and such during this part" and he, likewise, returned the favor. Each of our segments was written without any suggestions by the other person -- we gave each other free reign to do whatever we wanted with our segments, compositionally speaking, and we gave each other free reign to do whatever we wanted with each other's segments as well. It was like Christmas day each time I got the file from him: I had no idea what bass stuff he had added to my segment, and I had no idea what he'd come up with for the new segment. I suspect his experience was similar. :)

I didn't notice but I had a feeling it wasn't straight 4/4 measures. Whenever I come up with riffs they're usually 3/4, 5-6-7/8 and just rarely 4/4 so I think that's why that part was my kind of thing ;)

I'm surprised that both of you programmed the drum parts because it sounds like one person doing those. That is a good thing. I would love to try such thing myself one day.

I didn't notice but I had a feeling it wasn't straight 4/4 measures. Whenever I come up with riffs they're usually 3/4, 5-6-7/8 and just rarely 4/4 so I think that's why that part was my kind of thing ;)

I'm surprised that both of you programmed the drum parts because it sounds like one person doing those. That is a good thing. I would love to try such thing myself one day.

It's fascinating to me that you perceive as much cohesion as you do...maybe it's because I was in on the ground floor, but I can hear a distinction between how I do drum parts vs. how Jeremy does them.

It's fascinating to me that you perceive as much cohesion as you do...maybe it's because I was in on the ground floor, but I can hear a distinction between how I do drum parts vs. how Jeremy does them.

Just did a listen and I can hear a shift at the one minute mark, but after that it's much more cohesive to my ears. Perhaps I will notice more variations the more I listen to it. :)