Your Favorite Concert Moments

As for me... I have three... and all fairly recent (although I have been more shows than I care to actually admit in the last 30 years).

1) San Antonio Alamodome, December 1996. I distinctly remember, in the first set, the band starting in on Red Barchetta. One of the of the secrets of the Alamodome is that the acoustics in the place are actually quite good for a concert. The intro came out beautifully and there was a buzz in the crowd that only increased with the lyrics. The sing along was amazing. I think this might have been the only time the band played the Alamodome, which is a bit of a shame as the other later venues in San Antonio (the defunct Verizon Wireless Ampitheatre and the AT&T center) just don't offer the same sound.... which is weird, I know, given we are talking about them playing in a football stadium. Still, that version of Red Barchetta has stuck with me for nearly 20 years.

2) San Antonio AT&T Center, September 2010. My children joined me for this show. It was an incredible experience. We had a blast. I may have had too many malted beverages and my son drove home. To this day, the kids joke about that show and experience. The clincher for me, though, was my son's reaction when they played Closer to the Heart late in the second set. They had shelved that song for a few tours and, although I knew it was on the list, he did not. He was absolutely giddy.

3) Austin Erwin Center, April 2013. Overall a good show, but what pulled at my heart strings was something I overheard walking out. As we walked out of the venue, I heard a little boy, probably around 9 or 10 years old, who was there with his dad, jumping up and down exclaiming, "that was *AWESOME*". I looked at the young man, smiled and said, "You, sir, are clearly the brightest, most intelligent person here tonight." He beamed. His dad smiled. Rush crossed generations.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 5

1. Ditching half of school to go to Chicago to see them on the Time Machine Tour. Dad's cool status shot through the roof.

2. Seeing them for the first time on the R30 tour in St. Louis.

3. Paul Rudd running on stage during YYZ to conduct the ensemble and SLAPPA DA BASS when I saw them in Kansas City on the CA Tour :D

• Like 3

Taking my daughter to the Vapor Trails show and then taking my son to the Snakes & Arrows show were my favorite moments. My first show back in 79' was pretty cool too....
  • Like 4

I'll let you know someday. I hope.

The likely 2015 tour might be your last chance. Find your way!

Of course, as for the "last tour" thing.... I have been saying that is a possibily since T4E in 1996. But, still....

1. Ditching half of school to go to Chicago to see them on the Time Machine Tour. Dad's cool status shot through the roof.

2. Seeing them for the first time on the R30 tour in St. Louis.

3. Paul Rudd running on stage during YYZ to conduct the ensemble and SLAPPA DA BASS when I saw them in Kansas City on the CA Tour :D

Hell, your dad gets cool points from me today....

• Like 2

Pink Floyd at Roosevelt Stadium NJ 1973 (DSOTM tour) was originally scheduled the day of my sister's wedding 6/16/1973 so I could not go. It rained that day so the show was postponed to the 18th and I went to the show.

They opened with Obscured with Clouds / closed with One of These Days and there was quad sound in the stadium.

01. Obscured By Clouds

02. When You're In

03. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

04. Careful with that Axe, Eugene

05. Echoes

06. Speak To Me

07. Breathe

08. On The Run

09. Time

10. Breathe (Reprise)

11. The Great Gig In The Sky

12. Money

13. Us & Them

14. Any Colour You Like

15. Brain Damage

16. Eclipse

17. One of These Days

the only good video I could locate from this tour

http://youtu.be/L-keAA62Tv4

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/IMG_0147.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 3

For me, it was on July 28th, 2013 in Vancouver, WA during The Body Electric. Nobody around was into it really, but my best friend and I were going f***ing nuts (we loooove TBE). Geddy, clearly impressed by our level of fandom, spent the next 10-20 seconds staring right at us and slappin da bass like a mutha f*ckin bad ass while we air bassed right along with him. Awesome!
  • Like 4

As for me... I have three... and all fairly recent (although I have been more shows than I care to actually admit in the last 30 years).

You can admit it; you're among friends!

• Like 2

I like the "singalong" parts of 2112 and YYZ. It's fun to hear everyone around you participating.

The singing along of YYZ.... Latin America's gift to the Rush world. I had never heard that until the Rush in Rio DVD and now it is a staple at the shows.

In a similar vein, my daughter gets super excited for the hand clapping during Spirit of Radio. The look on her face when she noticed Geddy doing his little open/close hand gesture to the crowd during the hand clapping during her first show was priceless.

• Like 2

Okay. Well, then, it's above 50. Some might call my fandom... namely an ex or two... a sickness! :)

• Like 1

2112 at Riverbend last year at my first and so far only Rush concert. It was seeing Rush play their best song ever, and we were all having a great time yelling "hey," jumping at the same time, and air-drumming to a great epic song, which included the Grand Finale. That was probably my favorite night of my life so far.
  • Like 2

Okay. Well, then, it's above 50. Some might call my fandom... namely an ex or two... a sickness! :)

Yay! It's a sickness that you don't need cured ;)

During a few shows on the CA tour I was sitting up in front of Alex (for some reason I kept ending up with seats on Alex's side—I still need to experience good seats on Geddy's side!). Of course, I was singing along to all the songs and having a good ol' time, and I got a few smiles from Alex sent my way.
  • Like 1

1.) Talking to an elderly man whose wife dragged him to the show in Buffalo in 2012. My first RUSH show, though I had terrible seats it was probably the best concert experience so far. Got an autographed cd

2.) I met my current girlfriend here in May of 2012 and after skyping her for over a year, I manned up and took a greyhound from NY to BC to meet her. We went to see Rush perform in Vancouver and waited outside the arena from noon. She made a poster and wanted to get it to the band. We talked to a roadie and he got it through management. While waiting behind Rogers Arena, someone from management came by and delivered some guitar picks, we spoke to one of the string players (Jonathan Dinklage, his brother is on Game of Thrones), and Geddy & Alex waved at us from their limo when they pulled into the arena. Then after the show was over we got the poster autographed. The band thought it was awesome.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/220/a/9/signed_rush_poster_by_rushyeszeppelin-d6hbcsv.jpg

• Like 5

1.) Talking to an elderly man whose wife dragged him to the show in Buffalo in 2012. My first RUSH show, though I had terrible seats it was probably the best concert experience so far. Got an autographed cd

2.) I met my current girlfriend here in May of 2012 and after skyping her for over a year, I manned up and took a greyhound from NY to BC to meet her. We went to see Rush perform in Vancouver and waited outside the arena from noon. She made a poster and wanted to get it to the band. We talked to a roadie and he got it through management. While waiting behind Rogers Arena, someone from management came by and delivered some guitar picks, we spoke to one of the string players (Jonathan Dinklage, his brother is on Game of Thrones), and Geddy & Alex waved at us from their limo when they pulled into the arena. Then after the show was over we got the poster autographed. The band thought it was awesome.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/220/a/9/signed_rush_poster_by_rushyeszeppelin-d6hbcsv.jpg

That is a great story!

Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 1

During a few shows on the CA tour I was sitting up in front of Alex (for some reason I kept ending up with seats on Alex's side—I still need to experience good seats on Geddy's side!). Of course, I was singing along to all the songs and having a good ol' time, and I got a few smiles from Alex sent my way.

I'd love to sit next to someone like you at a Rush concert. We'd have a great time.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Pink Floyd at Roosevelt Stadium NJ 1973 (DSOTM tour) was originally scheduled the day of my sister's wedding 6/16/1973 so I could not go. It rained that day so the show was postponed to the 18th and I went to the show.

They opened with Obscured with Clouds / closed with One of These Days and there was quad sound in the stadium.

Roosevelt Stadium? That's too much. It's nothing but a happy memory now.

During Entre Nous at The Sony in Camden, NJ. I was third row and Geddy did a very cool (wish I could remember exactly) little harmonic triplet during it and right after looked out at the crowd (I know the look when you do something on the fly and cool and want to know if anyone noticed or appreciated it). I looked up at him, nodded my head and pointed at him. He looked right at me, nodded and pointed back with a little smile.

I knew he knew I "got it". Being acknowledged by the band is cool but being acknowledged for noticing something musical that few did was even cooler.

• Like 4

I'd love to sit next to someone like you at a Rush concert. We'd have a great time.

Yeh, I'd love to sit next to the guy that always sits at the front too!

April 10, 2011. My dad said he wanted to take me around New York City. I asked him why, and he said, "There's someone I want you to see." We pulled up to Madison Square Garden and I saw a big sign advertising who was performing that night. "Hey, Dad, did you know Rush is playing here tonight?"

And then he pulled out the tickets.

And you'd better believe that as soon as The Spirit of Radio started, my mind was BLOWN.

• Like 6

Yeh, I'd love to sit next to the guy that always sits at the front too!

That's not what I meant. She is enthusiastic about Rush and we share similar taste in our favorite albums/songs. I would be singing along with her. Maybe even getting up and doing a little dance every once in a while. Or just sitting there looking mesmerized.

Being from Toronto just about every show I saw was magic. However seeing them on the road brought out my Canadian pride. Like the time in 1978 in Hollywood Florida when my brother and I stood at Geddy's feet. In my opinion this was about the time the band hit its zenith, and luckily I got to see them about 10 times during that period, but the Florida show was really special/

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx257/andreww1962/RUSH042_zps337130a3.jpg

• Like 4