• Roll The Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes & Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels
    • Stick pins in Pound Of Obscure's eyes

I feel sorry for my baby Presto...

Actually, thats a well cute name for a child!

• Like 1

I feel sorry for Signals. I am tempted to unvote my vote for AFTK and vote for Signals.

But then this would not be an honest poll...

...Presto is better than Signals anyway...

I feel sorry for Signals. I am tempted to unvote my vote for AFTK and vote for Signals.

In your opinion. Which I don't share.

Honesty for a person of a younger age and Presto being their "first", I could see how it could be considered their favorite or Rush best album. Signals kind of surprises me too with zero votes.......

Honesty for a person of a younger age and Presto being their "first", I could see how it could be considered their favorite or Rush best album. Signals kind of surprises me too with zero votes.......

Well Moving Pictures came before it...

...and p/g after...

...that in itself explains most of it...

But then again, although it is not ny favourite sounding Rush album, I do love the whole damn thing...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/48ba087629556f34242acffbf3b514ae/tumblr_n3f2rz9nlw1smcbm7o1_500.gif

http://24.media.tumblr.com/48ba087629556f34242acffbf3b514ae/tumblr_n3f2rz9nlw1smcbm7o1_500.gif

Well we would also probably also disagree on the better Spiderman...

Since we are wondering about things and stuff, I wonder if Rush would do it all over again if they could? Given, of course, all they know now and all they have been through the past forty years. I wonder if they think it was all worth it.

Some days were dark

I wish that I could live it all again

Some nights were bright

I wish that I could live it all again
  • Like 1

Presto is better than Signals anyway...

http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/6a20e24da89d65eaeb095d44e133a332ad.png

Look at my cup of care: \_/

It is empty.

• Like 1

Signals is my favorite but I don't think Rush has ever been better than they were on Moving Pictures.

There's a unique ferocity to it, moreso than on the others. It seemed like they were revved up by the reception Permanent Waves garnered and they carried that momentum onto the next record. It has no flaws. Side A is one of the Top 5 record sides in rock history.

I cannot give that album enough praise. It's perfection.

• Like 1

Signals is my favorite but I don't think Rush has ever been better than they were on Moving Pictures.

There's a unique ferocity to it, moreso than on the others. It seemed like they were revved up by the reception Permanent Waves garnered and they carried that momentum onto the next record. It has no flaws. Side A is one of the Top 5 record sides in rock history.

I cannot give that album enough praise. It's perfection.

If side 2 had Limelight...that would be the number one...

Since we are wondering about things and stuff, I wonder if Rush would do it all over again if they could? Given, of course, all they know now and all they have been through the past forty years. I wonder if they think it was all worth it.

I doubt they would change much. Their final product.... 40+ years, an adoring and loyal fan base, finally getting some love and attention from the mainstream pundits, still being one of the top drawing tours when they do go out, etc.... is spectacular. We can sit here and pick apart their songs and albums and say "this one is great", "that one sucks", "I bet they regret X, Y, and Z", but the truth of the matter is the reason they have lasted for 40+ years is because they have evolved and experimented and, in some ways, come full circle with their style and sound. Hell, Rush is more relevant today than they ever have been. Clearly they did something right, yes?! :)

• Like 3

I'm very surprised Signals hasn't gotten a vote yet.

I voted for PW because that is my favorite. My second vote would have been Signals. It is the album that started my fandom, but it has also aged well. Also, people can knock it all they want, but the fact of the matter is Subdivisions is one of the 10 or so quintessential Rush songs that really defines their overall sound and New World Man was their highest charting single in their long history (US charts, at least).

• Like 1

I can see why they would like Clockwork Angels. But I wonder what it is about Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures that is so special to them.

Put simply, these two albums represent the Golden Age of Rush. They were moving away from a theme/genre album format and toward something more accessible to the average listener. They were recording at Le Studio and loving the experience. And, oh yeah, they were making two of the most incredible prog rock albums ever. :)

Close. Their families were there and having them close meant a great deal.

Makes you wonder why Neil tries to get as far away from his every single chance he gets...

Read his books dude.

Even the library in PURGATORY won't stock those.

A couple of thoughts on Neil and his books.

I have read each of them and I would agree with a notion the only reason most people would bother to read them is they are fans of the band. They aren't going to make a best seller list, let alone a literary critic's list... but that's not the point. I will admit, though, that I greatly enjoyed Traveling Music (the only one of his books I really enjoyed, actually) for a number of reasons. One, I love the Big Bend area of Texas and the fact that Neil appreciates it too, and referenced some areas of it I know well, was endearing. Two, I found some of the music Neil discussed in the book to be interesting and offered an insight in to why he is who he is (his love of Sinatra and big band was something I also connected to). Three, the book is essentially an autobiography and I enjoyed the fact he tied together a number of loose end bits of information fans have known about him in a way that told his story.

Also, in that book, Neil very clearly explained why he generally stays out of Ontario and Quebec these days. Put simply: Bad memories. He suffered some real tragedy there and I can't fault him for starting new in some place completely opposite of his past life. I don't know that I would have responded the same way, but he gets to grieve and heal in his own way.

Lastly, while Geddy and Alex are generally jovial, affable, and all around funny, outgoing and even extroverted. Neil is not. He is very obviously an introvert, painfully shy, and enjoys solitude when he can get it. That does not mean he isn't a social being or incapable of love, friendship, or familial connections, but it does seem to mean he pretty clearly has his own boundaries and ideas about how to navigate those experiences. He gets to do that. We all get to do that. I am sure his new wife realized these things about him when she married him. I am sure she understood he will have his moments where he will want some solitude. Likewise, from everything I have read and seen (Beyond the Lighted Stage demonstrated it well, I think), it is pretty clear that Alex and Geddy get the unique dynamic they have with Neil, yet still love him not just as a band mate and business partner, but as a brother.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 5

Well, Permanent Waves and Caress of Steel are my favorites. I think that's the line that most people are voting along.

I voted Moving Pictures as their best album, simply because it is. They were at the top of their game making that one. They struck a perfect balance of over the top musicianship packaged into well-crafted, accessible songs. It's perfectly produced. Every instrument shines yet maintains a sonic balance throughout. And Geddy's voice is spot on. Top this all off with perfect cover and sleeve art.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4a/Moving_Pictures.jpg

http://www.vinylrecords.ch/R/RU/rush/rush-moving-pictures-2813.jpg

Eeeexactly. I toast your clarity of thought. :hail: .

Beer for breakfast?

I'm in! :cheers:

Breakfast Beer is very underrated. I've never understood the "not before noon" prohibition.

• Like 1

Signals cause "I feel sorry for it"?

This poll is not about sharing the love. It is for the best album. Rush's top album. While I love Signals, it is not their top album no matter how bad we feel for it.

And... Snakes & Arrows? Come on. This has turned into a joke.

Presto and Counterparts are not worth a comment.

• Like 3

This poll is not about sharing the love. It is for the best album. Rush's top album. While I love Signals, it is not their top album no matter how bad we feel for it.

Well that is only YOUR opinion.

I'm not saying that people can't hold them in high regard or even be their favorite. The reason people are voting for these is they feel like they should "get some love" or they are under rated.

The poll is for their absolute best. As much as anyone may love Signals, and I do, their best?

I can even accept that some people genuinely feel that CA is their best and I have not questioned it once. I understand why people would think that even though I disagree. This isn't personal.

I just want an honest poll. What is their best!

Edited by KennyLee
  • Like 2

I'm not saying that people can't hold them in high regard or even be their favorite. The reason people are voting for these is they feel like they should "get some love" or they are under rated.

The poll is for their absolute best. As much as anyone may love Signals, and I do, their best?

I can even accept that some people genuinely feel that CA is their best and have not questioned it once. I understand why people would think that even though I disagree. This isn't personal.

The thing about this band is their longevity and their evolution over time creates pockets of dissent within their fan base. Some folks love the band's early, Zeppelin-esque style and think anything beyond that is inferior. Some folks think the band should have stopped at 2112. Some folks love the Prog Rock era and nothing can touch that. Some folks love the synth era (yes, folks, there are people out there who grew up in the 1980s and that was their sound!). Some love the later and modern stuff, etc, etc, etc.

As for me, I find things to appreciate in all of the eras. Certainly I have my favorites, but the bottom line is I enjoy pretty much everything the band has produced. No, I don't think everything is perfect and I think some works are stronger than others... but I do find everything enjoyable. I also tend to put each album in the context of the previously mentioned evolution. In my mind, each album is not an independent island. In my mind, their entire discography is an archipelago - where there is social and geographic connectivity among a series of islands.

That said, I am definitely a minority opinion, but also probably because I used the term "archipelago". :)

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 1

I can even accept that some people genuinely feel that CA is their best and have not questioned it once. I understand why people would think that even though I disagree. This isn't personal.

The thing about this band is their longevity and their evolution over time creates pockets of dissent within their fan base. Some folks love the band's early, Zeppelin-esque style and think anything beyond that is inferior. Some folks think the band should have stopped at 2112. Some folks love the Prog Rock era and nothing can touch that. Some folks love the synth era (yes, folks, there are people out there who grew up in the 1980s and that was their sound!). Some love the later and modern stuff, etc, etc, etc.

As for me, I find things to appreciate in all of the eras. Certainly I have my favorites, but the bottom line is I enjoy pretty much everything the band has produced. No, I don't think everything is perfect and I think some works are stronger than others... but I do find everything enjoyable. I also tend to put each album in the context of the previously mentioned evolution. In my mind, each album is not an independent island. In my mind, their entire discography is an archipelago - where there is social and geographic connectivity among a series of islands.

That said, I am definitely a minority opinion, but also probably because I used the term "archipelago". :)

So what's your vote? :)

I do get what you're saying. However, what I am saying is people should vote for what they think is the best album Rush has ever done. A matter of opinion? Of course!

But people have stated that they are voting for albums for other criteria, not because they think it is the best. That is my only axe to grind.

• Like 2