• Presto
    • Roll The Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes & Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels
    • Stick pins in Pound Of Obscure's eyes

I just noticed that there is a similar thread in the "Feedback" subforum, and over 1,000 votes were cast. I wonder if the results will be the same here?

I missed it. Did Presto get any votes there? :D

Only if Segue and Narpski happened upon the poll.

HEY! I voted Hold Your Fire!

I'm listening to Hold Your Fire even as I type to honor you and your comrades.

• Like 1

I just noticed that there is a similar thread in the "Feedback" subforum, and over 1,000 votes were cast. I wonder if the results will be the same here?

I missed it. Did Presto get any votes there? :D

Only if Segue and Narpski happened upon the poll.

HEY! I voted Hold Your Fire!

I'm listening to Hold Your Fire even as I type to honor you and your comrades.

I think HYF is my favourite of all their albums. It really is terrific!

• Like 2

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/17/4d/0c/174d0c602ee1e4bc238270c261f8dd42.jpg

???

I'm happy to see people voting for HYF. It's their most under appreciated album. IMO, it's not as good as AFTK-PeW but it's a contender for their best album just in terms of the (fantastic!) songwriting Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 3

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/17/4d/0c/174d0c602ee1e4bc238270c261f8dd42.jpg

???

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1343788048583_4106956.png

Nice 1920s garb they are wearing. I wonder if they were prohibitionists or bootleggers?

I'm happy to see people voting for HYF. It's their most under appreciated album. IMO, it's not as good as AFTK-PeW but it's a contender for their best album just in terms of the (fantastic!) songwriting

Hold Your Fire is a conundrum. There are some GREAT songs on it, and some skullcrushingly awful ones. However, most of the songs from this album that appear on the A Show of Hands video are actually livelier and much more energetic than the studio versions. I remember I learned most of those songs from the video, and heard the album later...some of the album versions sound unrefined to me; almost demo-like. Their full potential, similar to songs on All the World's A Stage, seemed to bloom more live than the studio tracks. In another strange happenstance however, the Power Windows material live pales in comparison to the album versions.

A bunch of songs are just great: "Time Stand Still," "Mission," "Force Ten," "Turn the Page," and "Prime Mover."

But then, the album ALSO contains signs of what Rush would become with the next few albums; "Open Secrets," "Second Nature," and the abysmally horrid "High Water" simply don't belong with the other great songs; Rush's next direction was seemingly foreshadowed and at once cemented by such lifeless ball-less borefests. "Lock and Key" isn't quite as bad, and I can ignore "Tai Shan" and accept it as an experiment. In that regard, "Tai Shan" is not NEARLY as bad as the tuberculosis-inducing "High Water."

The album is definitely a bridge between the mastery of Power Windows and the long slow death spiral that started toward the end of the album and continued until Vapor Trails when they got an emergency injection of epinephrine and became Rush again.

Edited by Spaghetti Lee
  • Like 1

I'm happy to see people voting for HYF. It's their most under appreciated album. IMO, it's not as good as AFTK-PeW but it's a contender for their best album just in terms of the (fantastic!) songwriting

Hold Your Fire is a conundrum. There are some GREAT songs on it, and some skullcrushingly awful ones. However, most of the songs from this album that appear on the A Show of Hands video are actually livelier and much more energetic than the studio versions. I remember I learned most of those songs from the video, and heard the album later...some of the album versions sound unrefined to me; almost demo-like. Their full potential, similar to songs on All the World's A Stage, seemed to bloom more live than the studio tracks. In another strange happenstance however, the Power Windows material live pales in comparison to the album versions.

A bunch of songs are just great: "Time Stand Still," "Mission," "Force Ten," "Turn the Page," and "Prime Mover."

But then, the album ALSO contains signs of what Rush would become with the next few albums; "Open Secrets," "Second Nature," and the abysmally horrid "High Water" simply don't belong with the other great songs; Rush's next direction was seemingly foreshadowed and at once cemented by such lifeless ball-less borefests. "Lock and Key" isn't quite as bad, and I can ignore "Tai Shan" and accept it as an experiment. In that regard, "Tai Shan" is not NEARLY as bad as the tuberculosis-inducing "High Water."

The album is definitely a bridge between the mastery of Power Windows and the long slow death spiral that started toward the end of the album and continued until Vapor Trails when they got an emergency injection of epinephrine and became Rush again.

Personally, I like the whole album. Clearly you don't like High Water, but I think it's a sonic masterpiece with some really interesting guitar work and gorgeous vocals. Lock and Key is a masterpiece (the second verse does it for me), they really explored a lot of new territory on HYF, more so than any other album just in terms of the diversity
  • Like 1

Tai Shan is a beautiful song, i dont care if the band dont agree. high water is a wonderful, and perfect way to close the album!
  • Like 1

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1343788048583_4106956.png

http://befreetolove.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/deja-vu.jpg

Hmmmm. I've seen that somewhere before...

The songwriting is pretty strong throughout. The subject matter is great, with a good balance between the universal and the personal. Some really beautiful stuff, like Mission or Time Stand Still.
  • Like 1

Well, Permanent Waves and Caress of Steel are my favorites. I think that's the line that most people are voting along.

I voted Moving Pictures as their best album, simply because it is. They were at the top of their game making that one. They struck a perfect balance of over the top musicianship packaged into well-crafted, accessible songs. It's perfectly produced. Every instrument shines yet maintains a sonic balance throughout. And Geddy's voice is spot on. Top this all off with perfect cover and sleeve art.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4a/Moving_Pictures.jpg

http://www.vinylrecords.ch/R/RU/rush/rush-moving-pictures-2813.jpg

Spot on, goose. I could not have stated it better.

:cheers:

ETA: I voted MP. CA displaced it for a bit, but Moving Pictures has regained its rightful place.

Edited by CygnusGal
  • Like 1

Snakes and Arrows had a hugely positive reception when it first came out, so I am surprised it isn't more popular...

...and as for Counterparts, it is a terrific album and fully deserving of a number one spot on anyones list! I am enjoying that album more and more as time passes.

• Like 2