Food in Paris

x1yyz

I recently returned from a trip to Europe where I spent about five days in Paris. It was my first trip there and I'm posting a few notes in case others are interested.

We stayed in the Latin Quarter, a fairly touristy area one block south of Notre Dame, so most of the places we ate were in that area. For reference, I am a vegetarian (although my husband is not) and from San Francisco, where you can't throw a rock without hitting a decent restaurant.

You always hear about how wonderful French food is so I was quite surprised to arrive in Paris and find places that just weren't. I'm guessing you will find spectacular food if you go to high-end restaurants, but we were just looking for decent, casual food. Paris is quite expensive and little cafes where you can sit outside and have a drink with a view of the Eiffel Tower will charge you 7-8 Euros for a coke! There are many restaurants that offer cuisine française, and it is crap. Even if you eat meat, most of the touristy places have pretty much the same menu and they don't make it very well. If you are a vegetarian then it is very possible there will not be anything for you.

I lucked out and there was a decent vegetarian restaurant only about a block away: Le Grenier de Notre Dame. At some point I realized that if I avoided French food entirely and went to ethnic restaurants I'd have a much easier time, and I was right. The best meal of the trip was at this Middle Eastern place: La Rose de Damas. A friend recommended Presto Fresco, a short ways north of Notre Dame, but I never had a chance to go there.

Also, consider getting food from a traiteur (like a deli), and just preparing something yourself.

While it's not food-related, while in Paris make sure you visit the Catacombs! They were the highlight of my time there.

Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 3

Deli shopping is the way to go if you wanna save money in Europe. While in Ireland for an extended period I did it and didn't feel deprived one bit.

Was it all you hoped for or a big letdown?

• Like 2

I felt like Paris was overrated. Granted, I was there during tourist season, but it was crowded, disorganized, and it didn't have the glamour that Paris is supposed to be known for. It was pretty, but then again so are many European cities. I felt it was more hype than substance, like some sort of supermodel.

After leaving there we spent a day in Dijon and I loved it there. A smaller town, nice architecture, cleaner, and just more comfortable overall. If I ever go back to France I will spend my time exploring out in the country.

• Like 2

I felt like Paris was overrated. Granted, I was there during tourist season, but it was crowded, disorganized, and it didn't have the glamour that Paris is supposed to be known for. It was pretty, but then again so are many European cities. I felt it was more hype than substance, like some sort of supermodel.

After leaving there we spent a day in Dijon and I loved it there. A smaller town, nice architecture, cleaner, and just more comfortable overall. If I ever go back to France I will spend my time exploring out in the country.

Thanks,

I have heard the same thing about their food. The only reason I would go their would be to visit Normandy Beach. :madra:

• Like 2

My mother and I went there for a week when I was a teenager. It was a basic tourism thing, although we went during the off season in February. I think I acquired a brief addiction to profiterolles there.

Thanks,

I have heard the same thing about their food. The only reason I would go their would be to visit Normandy Beach. :madra:

I had a grandfather who earned a Bronze Star at Omaha Beach on D-day.

• Like 2

Thanks,

• Like 2

Thanks,

:notworthy: AWESOME!! What a brave soldier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :madra: :ebert:

Kick some A** men back in the day. :cool:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

Paris is no different from any other city; you get good food and you get bad food. During my stay I lived in the Nation area, and was lucky to find a simple and cheap french restaurant. I can't remember how much I paid but I could easily have ordered a second dish, so I wasn't being ripped off. That place was the culinary highlight of the stay. I tell you that salmon was the best I've ever had!

I think the problem is that in the center of the city (downtown seems so wrong a word for some reason) they see so many turists come by so they get complacent. You want something good to eat? Go where the french go. It may not be the same place as the tourists.

As for Paris in general ... hmm hard to say. I'd recommend people going to Berlin instead. That place is just buzzing with energy :).

Edit: I wanted to add that I love the french language and the french people. They really don't deserve the bad rep they got. :finbar:

Edited by The Analog Grownup
  • Like 2

Thanks,

My great uncle (grandpas brother) was a paratrooper, he was in Easy Company. We have his paratrooper pin, and his purple heart.

I knew he he was a paratrooper, and died at D-Day, but I didnt realize he was in easy company until my brother read the book, and it mentioned his name in the people that died on the initial landing

• Like 3

Thanks,

Thanks,

My great uncle (grandpas brother) was a paratrooper, he was in Easy Company. We have his paratrooper pin, and his purple heart.

I knew he he was a paratrooper, and died at D-Day, but I didnt realize he was in easy company until my brother read the book, and it mentioned his name in the people that died on the initial landing

I don't know who to say thanks or how to say it, but even though so many years have passed I as an european citizen is deeply grateful for all the sacrifices made for the people in Europe and the following generations. Thank you.

• Like 4

Thanks,

Thanks,

I don't know who to say thanks or how to say it, but even though so many years have passed I as an european citizen is deeply grateful for all the sacrifices made for the people in Europe and the following generations. Thank you.

http://image2.findagrave.com/photos/2005/107/10539653_111385185194.jpg

This is his grave in Roseburg, OR, where I was born. It was cool, I actually just did some research, found a couple other cool things I had no idea existed, a memorial for him in St. Louis, MO

http://image2.findagrave.com/photos/2013/364/34852179_138852784017.jpg

http://image1.findagrave.com/photos/2011/16/34852179_129528598217.jpg

I obviously never got to meet him. Crazy, he was 20 years old

Paratroopers from 'E' Company:

1st Lt. Thomas Meehan - Company Commander (KIA)

1st Sgt. William S. Evans - Company First Sergeant (KIA)

S/Sgt. Murray B. Roberts (KIA)

Sgt. Elmer L. Murray,Jr. (KIA)

Sgt. Richard E. Owen (KIA)

Sgt. Carl N. Riggs (KIA)

T/5 Herman F. Collins (KIA)

T/5 Ralph H. Wimer (KIA)

PFC Sergio G. Moya (KIA)

PFC Gerald R. Snider (KIA)

Pvt. George L. Elliott (KIA)

Pvt. William T. McGonigal (KIA)

Pvt. John N. Miller (KIA)

Pvt. Ernest Oats (KIA)

Pvt. Elmer L. Telstad (KIA)

Pvt. Thomas W. Warren (KIA)

Pvt. Jerry A. Wentzel (KIA)

• Like 3

Paris is no different from any other city; you get good food and you get bad food. During my stay I lived in the Nation area, and was lucky to find a simple and cheap french restaurant.

I think the problem is that in the center of the city (downtown seems so wrong a word for some reason) they see so many tourists come by so they get complacent. You want something good to eat? Go where the french go. It may not be the same place as the tourists.

Indeed.....France (and the city of Paris in particular) is the most tourist-visited country in the world. The bigger cities WILL be serving cheap food, as there is a LOT of money to be made from all of us "foreigners"..... ;) Even worse, the larger cities will have McDonalds there, along with the local copycat hamburger joints right across the street. :facepalm:

I lived in Normandy for a semester. That region is definitely affected by the tourism trade, and it is American-friendly. Virtually every restaurant serves FRIES with their meals..... :boo hiss: You have to go to the ethnic restaurants to get something original.

Yes, go see France and Paris.......but you're gonna have to work a bit to find the best cuisine. :sundog:

http://image2.findagrave.com/photos/2005/107/10539653_111385185194.jpg

This is his grave in Roseburg, OR, where I was born. It was cool, I actually just did some research, found a couple other cool things I had no idea existed, a memorial for him in St. Louis, MO

Wow, he was so young. The guys fighting over there were just kids.

• Like 2

Thanks,

Thanks,

You said it all right there, brother. Thank you so much for the appreciation.

• Like 2

Paris is no different from any other city; you get good food and you get bad food. During my stay I lived in the Nation area, and was lucky to find a simple and cheap french restaurant. I can't remember how much I paid but I could easily have ordered a second dish, so I wasn't being ripped off. That place was the culinary highlight of the stay. I tell you that salmon was the best I've ever had!

I think the problem is that in the center of the city (downtown seems so wrong a word for some reason) they see so many turists come by so they get complacent. You want something good to eat? Go where the french go. It may not be the same place as the tourists.

As for Paris in general ... hmm hard to say. I'd recommend people going to Berlin instead. That place is just buzzing with energy :).

Edit: I wanted to add that I love the french language and the french people. They really don't deserve the bad rep they got. :finbar:

Was it wild Salmon?,

And where was it from? :D