Caress of Steel V Hemispheres

Brucey

Which do you prefer?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Pick

COS saw the band starting to experiment with more adventurous songwriting, 2112, was the statement that the band would continue on their own terms. AFTK and HEMI was when their music begin to be more focused with more cohesion in their songs. They're been a lot of things happening in the band during this period and Hemispheres was their last album with big and complex epics, because the band decided to return to shorter songs with PW. So, as much as i love the atmosphere and the dark side of the music on the 2 long tracks, i prefer HEMI.

Not to change the subject, but does anyone here know if a computer shuts off unexpectedly and you have a USB stick in, will you lose the data on the stick? I want to listen to some music but I am afraid my computer will shut off again like it did already earlier today.

Shouldn't have any effect on the USB stick at all.

Kenny, thanks!

These two albums are consistently in my top 3, and I love them both. So please take my analysis below with that in mind.

I want to compare the albums song by song:

1. Bastille Day v. Circumstances

Bastille Day rocks harder, flows better, has better vocal melody. Circumstances starts off awkwardly and gets a bit shrieky.

Big Advantage Bastille Day

2. Lakeside Park v. The Trees

Both songs play with some light and shadow and are wonderfully accessible pop-Rock songs. Lakeside Park plays more on nostalgia while The Trees uses weird allegory, but gets you thinking a little bit through your smile.

Tie

3. The Necromancer v. LVS

Rush's best instrumental vs. perhaps my favorite song from the boys. The Necromancer is the band's first good effort at giving us a work that is meant to be viewed as an epic story where the music is the soundtrack. People poo-poo the narration, but I find that it adds well to the movie-like experience. But even though it is often my favorite song by the band, Rush play better, more melodically and more aggressively on LVS.

Advantage: LVS

4. Fountain of Lamneth v. Hemispheres

FoL is a very interesting story that is not an easy nut to crack. It can have different meanings, and clearly has several layers. This plays out with interesting musical switches and varying styles. Hemispheres is much more straighforward and simple, both in the story and in the music, which lacks the diversity of many other epics. However, it flows much better as a result.

Slight Advantage: FoL

5. I think I'm Going Bald v. Nothing

A harder choice than it may seem. I like ITIGB, but it doesn't fit in well on the album and it is clearly the weak link. However, it's fun and gives you a little to think about as well. Nothing also has something going for it...it stays out of the way of an otherwise awesome album, allowing nothing to interfere with the flow and tone of a wonderfully coherent album.

Tie

For these reasons, CoS wins by a nose.

• Like 2

Hemispheres, because it has much better flow, better stories, and all of its songs are classics, unlike ITIGB.

Better stories? In what way?

Anyway, I think Hemispheres kicks the shit out of Caress of Steel. While Fountain of Lamneth is a great song, I just can't get into The Necromancer. Bastille Day is okay, but I really, really, HATE Lakeside Park and ITIGB.

Hemispheres is the best 70's album, and is better than most of the 80's onward (except CP, p/g, and Signals :P )

In your opinion. Or is this a dogmatic statement?

It's no question that Nicolas Cage's opinion is law :ph34r:

• Like 1

Anyway, I think Hemispheres kicks the shit out of Caress of Steel. While Fountain of Lamneth is a great song, I just can't get into The Necromancer. Bastille Day is okay, but I really, really, HATE Lakeside Park and ITIGB.

Hemispheres is the best 70's album, and is better than most of the 80's onward (except CP, p/g, and Signals :P )

In your opinion. Or is this a dogmatic statement?

It's no question that Nicolas Cage's opinion is law :ph34r:

He's one of those who push us down so he might climb. :)

• Like 1

Not to change the subject, but does anyone here know if a computer shuts off unexpectedly and you have a USB stick in, will you lose the data on the stick? I want to listen to some music but I am afraid my computer will shut off again like it did already earlier today.

Shouldn't have any effect on the USB stick at all.

Unless you're writing data to it. However, if you're reading the data (i.e. listening to music) then you should have no problem at all.

• Like 1

"Look, I understand it's not 2112, Permanent Waves, or Moving Pictures"

You're right. Presto is better than 2112.

you can twist perceptions

reality won't budge

• Like 4

"Look, I understand it's not 2112, Permanent Waves, or Moving Pictures"

You're right. Presto is better than 2112.

It's an era thing with Rush. But if were not for 2112 we wouldn't even be talking about this. :codger: :haz: :rush:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 2

I voted for Caress Of Steel, because The Fountain Of Lamneth is just a magic song, and I love the drum solo in the song, they should have more drum solos in the songs!

Thou, I also love Hemispheres, its a perfect album.

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres

This song, that started on A Farewell To Kings, its such a great story, and I cant get tired on it!

Circumstances

A short and sweet song that just kick ass! I get so mad that I missed this song on Snakes & Arrows Tour! :(

The Trees.

Its a story about cartoon trees, can it get any better? :P

La Villa Strangiato

Just the perfect instrumental song. Noeone will make a better instrumental song like this, not even Rush them self! I love it!

But even thou, these songs are so great, I have to vote for Caress Of Steel, because The Fountain Of Lamneth kick ass!

Love them both, but I find myself grabbing COS alot more than Hemi these days. Prob in the minority here, but voted accordingly.

That is acceptable and your opinion. All good. It's just the "I. HATE. HEMISPHERES" that makes me...

http://media.giphy.com/media/VQnuG9qOQsyCA/giphy.gif

Whoever said they hate Hemispheres? I know I admitted it is not my fave...and others have said similar...but even The Spice Girls were known to enjoy the album from time to time. I mean, where else could they have learned to sing so high and aimlessly besides from our Geddy?

*snacks on popcorn*

Hemispheres for sure. I hate the title track, but Circumstances is okay, and The Trees and La Villa Strangiato are masterpieces. Aside from Bastille Day, which is decent, Caress of Steel just plain sucks. Edited by Disk98

Hemispheres for sure. I hate the title track, but Circumstances is okay, and The Trees and La Villa Strangiato are masterpieces. Aside from Bastille Day, which is decent, Caress of Steel just plain sucks.

I despise 75% of this post haha
  • Like 2

Hemispheres for sure. I hate the title track, but Circumstances is okay, and The Trees and La Villa Strangiato are masterpieces. Aside from Bastille Day, which is decent, Caress of Steel just plain sucks.

I despise 75% of this post haha

Caress Of Steel

1. Bastille Day 5/5

2. I Think I'm Going Bald 4.5

3. Lakeside Park 4/5

4. The Necromancer 4.5/5

5. The Fountain Of Lamneth 4/5

Hemispheres

1. Cygnus X-1 Book 2: Hemispheres 3/10

2. Circumstamces 3.5/10

3. The Trees 4/10

4. La Villa Strangiato 4.5/5

• Like 1

On another note, I see Zumbi has another alt. :sigh:... At least he didn't use it to vote S&A (unless he did)...

Edit: Never mind, he just got a rename (and ended the 2112 thing). He should still delete the FancyDancer vote for S&A though; using an alt to vote twice is, quite frankly, a dishonest thing to do.

Edited by len(songs)
  • Like 2

Although hemispheres obviously a perfect rush album for what it is, and in la villa contains simply the most exceptional piece of rock music written by anybody imo, i still have to say caress of steel has more of a timeless classic quality about it, whereas hemispheres can sound just a touch dated at times.

Dont get me wrong, hemispheres is obviously a totally awesome and mindblowing album, just i do feel it resonates a lot of the late-ish 70s era it was born in, and i dont feel that way with COS, particularly with TFOL... its just a masterpiece beyond the whole era thing to me, and never gets remotely boring as the years go by. Every note of The fountain of lamneth is still almost a fresh discovery to me now after decades and hundreds of plays.

Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 2

Hemispheres wins by a landslide, however, CoS is an awesome album. It is really hard to compare them since like Narpski said with the car analogy, Hemispheres is more like a finished product.
  • Like 1

Hemispheres wins by a landslide, however, CoS is an awesome album. It is really hard to compare them since like Narpski said with the car analogy, Hemispheres is more like a finished product.

But concept cars are still cool in their own way... :)
  • Like 1

But concept cars are still cool in their own way... :)

Even if they're Model T's. :)