Rush Hemispheres Pre. 1994

Pars123

What am I missing by not being able to watch this video?

I don't think it's a poor performance. He hit most of the notes and had a couple of notes he wasn't able to hit. All around I loved the performance and it's always been on of my favorites. After the way he changed his singing style in the 80's, to come back and be able to sing the prelude is amazing. The last time they performed Hemispheres was 81' I believe, 13 years later, from around 28 to around 41 and he could still sing it. Nowadays, Geddy , I believe, could sing it tuned down a whole step. For example the "All again" parts in Headlong Flight match some of the notes in the Prelude. I believe that he might be able to sing a little higher than that. But he couldn't sing it in original tune, no doubt about that. But what do you expect? He's 61... That performance was 20 years ago. Geddy could still sing it dropped a whole step.

• Like 2

What am I missing by not being able to watch this video?

I don't think it's a poor performance. He hit most of the notes and had a couple of notes he wasn't able to hit. All around I loved the performance and it's always been on of my favorites. After the way he changed his singing style in the 80's, to come back and be able to sing the prelude is amazing. The last time they performed Hemispheres was 81' I believe, 13 years later, from around 28 to around 41 and he could still sing it. Nowadays, Geddy , I believe, could sing it tuned down a whole step. For example the "All again" parts in Headlong Flight match some of the notes in the Prelude. I believe that he might be able to sing a little higher than that. But he couldn't sing it in original tune, no doubt about that. But what do you expect? He's 61... That performance was 20 years ago. Geddy could still sing it dropped a whole step.

The music is great needless to say. I would love to hear bits and pieces of that. Just no vocals..... :( Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

I saw them on the Hems.tour,

So I could care less about 1994! :codger: :LOL: :geddy: :geddy: :geddy: :guitar: :hail:

Me too.... :codger:
  • Like 3

You can hear in his voice the strain he's making. I have a few more bootlegs with him singing that on the tour. I will listen to them. He may have been tired this particular night. I'll report back with my findings.
  • Like 1

I saw them on the Hems.tour,

So I could care less about 1994! :codger: :LOL: :geddy: :geddy: :geddy: :guitar: :hail:

Show off.

Seriously though, you have my absolute and complete envy.

Hey,

Some one had to go! :LOL: Damn, getting old has it's benefits :codger: :dweez: :D

• Like 1

I just listened to the one from March 8, 1994 from NYC. It is much much better.

Maybe he couldn't sustain it throughout the tour, but in the beginning of it, he sang it very well.

Edited by Lorraine

Listened to another one from January 18, 1994.

The one posted here is an off night for him.

I'm going to have to listen to an earlier version from the tour! Thanks Lorraine!

Edit: I listened to one from about two weeks earlier and it's way better!

Edited by Pars123

Listening to one "A Night At The Spectrum" from April 29, 1994 - this is better than the one initially posted here, but you can hear the strain in his voice. I think doing it on the tour took its toll on him.

I feel stupid for posting one of one of his off nights! I need to find more versions from this tour!

Listening to one "A Night At The Spectrum" from April 29, 1994 - this is better than the one initially posted here, but you can hear the strain in his voice. I think doing it on the tour took its toll on him.

I feel stupid for posting one of one of his off nights! I need to find more versions from this tour!

You couldn't have known it was an off night unless you listened to the other concerts from the tour as well. That's why I got out my little stick and checked it out to see. I know from listening to many of these bootlegs that there are some nights that Geddy is tired and you can hear it. Then, there are nights when he has so much vitality and energy it is wonderful to listen to him.

• Like 1

I tend to have a fondness for it even if it isn't perfect - it's brutal to sing that high. I'm no vocal expert, but it seems to me that he sort of winds himself up for those high notes, and really pushes too hard. What results, often, is a note that's in the neighborhood but which is often painfully sharp. There must be some kind of technique that involves rising to the note in a way that isn't so "screamy" and unpredictable?
  • Like 1

Has Geddy ever said why he started off singing so high?

My guess is (a) because he could, and (b) because that's how Plant sang.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

Geddy sang considerably higher than Plant at times though

The Song Remains the Same is irritatingly high and sounds like the tape was sped up.

That he has. Not sure why you mentioned that, though.

That he has. Not sure why you mentioned that, though.

I just don't think Geddy sang THAT much like Plant (besides the debut and FBN). He sang with a lot more power