Help with Coldplay

Rutlefan

Except for "Clocks," I've never taken any notice of Coldplay. Until I heard three songs on the XM "Chill" station (53). Chill features kind of an ambient electronic/laid back electronic pseudo dance tracks (dance for lazy bored people I guess). I rarely recognize the groups (Air is the only regular artist I know). Yet, those three times, they played a song by Coldplay, and each time, it sounded nothing like that watered-down Radiohead/Muse for teenage girls music I normally associate with them. The tracks were nothing like "Yellow," they were electronic, and each was fantastic. I would have never ever guessed it was Coldplay if the screen wasn't telling me that.

So, for those who know Coldplay, where do I find this stuff? I know nothing about them except for the two songs I mentioned, and that the singer just had a "conscious uncoupling" from Ironman's nebbish secretary. I went to Wikipedia expecting to find that they had made an off-beat album, breaking the mould of their usual stuff, but no mention of anything like that. I'm left with their discography not having any idea where to start. (I could just try YouTube videos but my home PC no longer makes sound.) Thanks ahead of time.

Help with Coldplay = take any and all Coldplay albums you have using tongs and dip it in acid, then throw it on the fire and when it's good and burned get a priest to bless the building you're in. And never allow a Coldplay album into your house/place of work again.
  • Like 5

Help with Coldplay = take any and all Coldplay albums you have using tongs and dip it in acid, then throw it on the fire and when it's good and burned get a priest to bless the building you're in. And never allow a Coldplay album into your house/place of work again.

Oh don't worry about a Coldplay album crossing the threshold of my house. I'd have to hide it under a mattress so company wouldn't accidentally see it, and I'm a little old for that kind of stuff.

• Like 1

I actually have a few Coldplay albums and enjoy them when I hear them.

For the life of me, I don't know why they never make it into the rotation.

I have the discs hidden in old Motley Crue CD cases so no one ever knows and they don't revoke my man card.

• Like 2

Seriously,

What I would do is go to your local library and check out a few of their CDs and give them a listen.

If you like what you hear, then you can invest in their music.

I really do like the first three records.

(Parachutes / A Rush of Blood to the Head / X & Y)

• Like 1

Coldplay get a bad rap. Amazon will usually let you listen to snippets of most sounds on albums. YouTube may not be a bad place to check. If that fails you could try spotify
  • Like 1

Seriously,

What I would do is go to your local library and check out a few of their CDs and give them a listen.

If you like what you hear, then you can invest in their music.

I really do like the first three records.

(Parachutes / A Rush of Blood to the Head / X & Y)

Yeah, the first three were great. But if you prefer the electronic stuff, be sure to skip those.

Coldplay get a bad rap. Amazon will usually let you listen to snippets of most sounds on albums. YouTube may not be a bad place to check. If that fails you could try spotify

A lot of people give them grief because of the annoying fangirls. It's a shame because, technically, they're pretty good. Too bad Gwyneth happened, or they might have become much cooler. :eyeroll:

I came in here wanting to write something like that, but you beat me to it.

:cheers:

I was really a fan of Coldplay until XYZ came out - I only enjoyed a handful of songs on that one. Viva La Vida was good, but then it all went downhill and Chris Martin´s voice really started to annoy me.

I have all of Coldplay's albums, minus the latest. I really like X and Y, and AROBTTH is good. But stay away from Mylo Xyloto. Absolute crud!

For this kind of soft rock, Idlewild do it best! Look to them instead.

• Like 1

I thought the first album, Parachutes, was wonderfully mellow.

And I like A Rush of Blood to the Head, too.

Some of X&Y is good, but I started to hear repetition.

It was about that time that I saw them in a concert video for the first time.

I expected shoegazing and serious stagecraft.

Instead, I saw screaming fangirls and Chris Martin hopping around on stage like an idiot.

That disconnect was bracing and unwelcome.

I haven't bought anything else.

I occasionally listen to the first 2 albums, but Coldplay is completely off my radar now.

• Like 1

Absolutely hideous band, a triumph of the banal and mediocre over music with passion, rebellion and energy...when I first heard "Fix You" I honestly thought it was a joke, it was that bad.

Ok, I am playing Coldplay's new album Ghost Stories.

It's really beautiful! An ethereal vibe dominates the album, its songwriting at once fairly simplistic compared to the bombast of the last two albums. Its actually taken me aback just how much I am enjoying this!

Best album sice X and Y.

Ok, I am playing Coldplay's new album Ghost Stories.

It's really beautiful! An ethereal vibe dominates the album, its songwriting at once fairly simplistic compared to the bombast of the last two albums. Its actually taken me aback just how much I am enjoying this!

Best album sice X and Y.

meh.....i borrowed it from a friend. It's not my thing. I think it's the fact that martin's voice seems to grate more with each passing record. It seems they always try to be radiohead. But why go for a cheap imitation when you have the original, lol

Mick

I don't think so. I don't feel left out. The impact their music has had on my favourite albums and bands is undeniable, so I appreciate their influence. But I don't like them.

Would rather listen to stuff I do like and be happy with that.

• Like 1

Well, I did the Amazon 10 second survey of their recent stuff and the only thing I could find that sounds like what I think I remember hearing is this. The rest sounded just like I would have expected -- pretty not my thing. This isn't either really, but if I didn't know it was Coldplay I might think the band has some promise. Would have made a better instrumental, or a good vehicle for a cool female voice, like the video below it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEj8lqUrtL4