What if?

savagegrace26

What if Rush never wrote or recorded Tom Sawyer? How much would that have altered their career? Would Limelight have replaced it as their overplayed signatute song? Would they have persisted this long without Tom Sawyer? Thoughts?

I think they would have been more the band without a definitive hit.

Ok, pointing out the obvious I suppose (it's early and no one's bothering me at work yet). Wouldn't have changed much at all. Default signature song would have been The Spirit of Radio, maybe sharing the spotlight with Limelight. Their longevity doesn't rest on MP or Tom Sawyer as if either was a one-off success, but more a hang-in-there persistence supported by a fanatically loyal fan base, consistently turning out in droves to support their tours, a la the Grateful Dead. Last few years the persistence has flowered with well-received documentaries (Beyond the Lighted Stage and VH1 Classic albums), the induction into the Excuse-for-Rich-People-to-have-Yet-Another-Party-in-Some-City-or-Another (referring to the annual induction ceremony, btw) Hall of Fame, and a really well-received album (CA). Tom Sawyer is nice bullet in the resume, but doesn't change their undeniably formidable qualifications/achievements. Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 5

But Tom Sawyer might be mostly responsible for bringing many "casual" fans into conerts. Without regular radio play of Tom Sawyer they might not have attracted as many newer fans and the concert attendence would hypothetically be much lower. Tom Sawyer is the one Rush song almost everyone knows and for some, the only Rush song they know. Lower concert attendance could have drastically affected their recent career.

But Tom Sawyer might be mostly responsible for bringing many "casual" fans into conerts. Without regular radio play of Tom Sawyer they might not have attracted as many newer fans and the concert attendence would hypothetically be much lower. Tom Sawyer is the one Rush song almost everyone knows and for some, the only Rush song they know. Lower concert attendance could have drastically affected their recent career.

Rush is not nor ever were relying on new or casual fans. They fill rooms with die hards like us. Fewer shows, smaller rooms? Maybe without TM but I doubt it. Their core fans don't even want to hear it anymore. It was possible the worst song on that album (and by worst I mean least awesome).

• Like 1

Um...Tom Sawyer is not even half as good as Limelight. I LOVE LIMELIGHT!
  • Like 1

You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Tom Sawyerless Zone!

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/Rod-Serling.jpg

• Like 5

You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Tom Sawyerless Zone!

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/Rod-Serling.jpg

:laughing guy:

• Like 1

It be one less song i'm burned out on.

nah seriously though. Wouldn't effect much i think. Spirit of Radio was really the CHANGE song when you think about it. I think it would have been just fine.

Mick

The Capital Centre was pretty full and enthusiastic as I recall for the Permanent Waves show...... :)

If Limelight would have replaced it, they wouldn't have needed Tom Sawyer. Limelight wasn't that big of a hit. Tom Sawyer, on the other hand, got my attention. Apparently, I wasn't the only one. I can still remember zooming around in my little black Camaro and hearing it on the radio and thinking, "Yeah, now THIS is a song!"

As SavageGrace said, like it or not, Rush IS Tom Sawyer. Still love the song to this day.

:rush: :rush: :rush:

• Like 1

I can still remember zooming around in my little black Camaro and hearing it on the radio and thinking, "Yeah, now THIS is a song!"

Yay for Rush chicks with Camaros! I had one, too :D

• Like 1

Well...for me, the first song to turn me on to Rush was "Distant Early Warning," and I didn't hear TS until a little later, when I was already a huge fan. So for me, the absence of "Tom Sawyer" wouldn't have made too much of a difference. I do love the hell out of the song, though.