Save Le Studio

crimsonfrippy

I'm in. That's my first purchase if I ever hit the lottery!

I was thinking the same thing.

The group is trying to gain momentum. If you have a moment please send a request to join if you are on FB!

This would be an awesome idea. Hopefully the people who currently own it don't go through with their plans to tear it down. Too much history there. It needs to be bought and returned to its former self. That place needs to be a shrine. :)
  • Like 1

There must be bands out there who would say, "man I'd love to record our album in the same studio Rush made Permanent Waves."

Oh, I forgot. . . . it's the twenty-first century now.

Edited by toymaker

There must be bands out there who would say, "man I'd love to record our album in the same studio Rush made Permanent Waves."

Oh, I forgot. . . . it's the twenty-first century now.

I'm sure there are, but most bands don't have a lot of money unless they're already really famous.

I'm willing to donate to save it. Well... donate my time... because I'm broke. Actually, according to my bank I need $166.13 to be broke.

The point is this place is my Graceland and I would love to have the honor of standing in Le Studio just one time. If those walls could talk. Wow.

• Like 4

Yes, if those walls could talk.

If I was there and the walls started talking I would run out of there so fast screaming....

Does anyone know why Rush stopped recording there?

I don't know but probably because they wanted to try someplace else and could afford it.

I don't know but probably because they wanted to try someplace else and could afford it.

So, it wasn't that great of a recording studio? It was simply affordable at the time?

I'm just trying to understand why the clamor to save the place if Rush doesn't care about it.

I know they recorded Moving Pictures there. What else?

Permanent Waves, Moving PIctures, Hemispheres, Signals.Grace Under Pressure, Presto, Roll the Bones, Counterparts

It's really out of the way. With their families and all I think they just wanted someplace that was more convenient and not keep them isolated from the rest of the world.

I think I recall hearing that or reading that somewhere.

I was poking around to try and find some info about why Rush stopped recording there but couldn't find anything (quickly). I did find this quote on the Wikipedia page for Le Studio:

"I drove us [
and
] to my house on the lake, sometimes playing Finnish rally driver on the snow-covered roads. Along the way, we passed near the village of Morin Heights, where we had shared so many good times, recording at Le Studio — now closed and abandoned. The number of albums we had made there stretched from
Permanent Waves
in 1979 to
Counterparts
in 1994." – Neil Peart

And that page linked to a video someone made of the building in 2010. It doesn't look so good :(

• Like 1

It's really out of the way. With their families and all I think they just wanted someplace that was more convenient and not keep them isolated from the rest of the world.

I think I recall hearing that or reading that somewhere.

I vaguely know the area and have been to the next town over (St. Sauveur) a couple times. It's only 20-30 minutes from Montréal which is great ... if you're in Montréal. But Montréal is about a six hour drive or a plane flight from Toronto.

just joined :)

It's not out of the way by any means... It's about an hour from Montreal, and about 10 minutes from St-Sauveur... Nowhere near "In the middle of nowhere"... It's just that's it's not in the center of Morin Heights, just on a side road, outside of the village.... I've been there many times.... And Neil's lake is just a few minutes away.... They both are outside the tourist areas, but that whole place is filled with ski hills, and hotels, and resorts...