Drum Parts Question

Rush-O-Matic

Hi guys. I never post in this forum, as I am not much of a musician, and have very little to contribute. I am here asking for help finding parts.

My son plays percussion in his middle school band, and recently decided he wanted to fool around on a kit. I didn't want to invest too much, as I wasn't sure if he'd stick with it. So, I find a 5 piece kit, complete with crash / ride cymbal, hi hat and throne for $75 on Craigslist. It works just fine for him, and he is thrilled.

It's a Remo PTS kit. It's not great, but it's well worth the $75. The shells are not cracked, all the heads are fine, the hi hat stand and kick drum pedal had been upgraded by the owner to decent Pearl gear. (The cymbals are Camber and are so old they read "West Germany" on there!) From what I understand, Remo introduced the PTS system in the early 80's, hoping this pre-tuned thing would be popular. Alas, not so much. I have heard that some folks liked the kits, because the easy on/off clip heads made loading in and out easy, since you could stack the shells.

Anyway, this kit has had several owners over the years, and several of the tension clips (in place of the tuning lugs) have been lost. I have contacted Remo, no luck; I have searched Google and eBay, no luck; I have posted on drum forums, contacted several vintage drum dealers around the country and all of these checks have come up empty. So, I have two questions:

1 - does anybody know where I might find these clips or can anybody recommend a local drum or music shop in their area that would be a good place to ask?

2 - and, shot in the dark, does anybody have an old Remo PTS snare or kit they want to sell for parts?

Thanks,

R-o-M

(P.S. I would like to attach a picture of the tension clip, but I never have figured out how to attach pictures in a post, and I can't sue ImageShack anymore for a linked photo.)

Is this your post to REMO?

http://support.remo....eplacement_ones

remo2_inline.jpg?1405458644

Yes.

ETA: I posted that at the Remo site hoping for luck from the general Remo community. I actually spoke with Remo customer service, and they neither had any old stock or were helpful in suggesting where I might look. When I first started looking, there was a seller on eBay who was seling a complete kit and was including a whole bag of extra clips (!); alas, the kit sold, and despite a message to the seller to see if he would sell the clips separately or might have extra, I never heard back from them.

Edited by Rush-O-Matic

I see you posted in Vintage Drum Forum and got a response. Congrat's!

Good luck closing the deal. :cheers:

Well, I did. But, I don't have any reputatation built up there. So, since I haven't heard back from that response since his post and my PM, and I don't want to annoy him, I thought I would keep trying. Also, I still need the larger size clips for the kick drum.

That was fast.

Good luck to your son! How is he progressing?

Thanks all for the responses. I bought the kit about a month ago, and have been trying to rehab it during that time. My son just "got" the kit yesterday, so he's just starting.

I was able to really clean up the crash / ride cymbal (reading more drum forum hints) and the drum heads. I left the hi hat in it's sort of darkened color - I was a little nervous about working on it with Bar Keeper's Friend or any polish. With the exception of the missing clips and the peeing of the hoop head film (no idea what to call that), I think it looks great, considering my investment. I think they sound fine for a beginner, with the exception of the kick. It sounds very "boing-y" - more like a kettle drum tone than a bold, resonant oomph. Between the batter side and the resonant (?) side, there are 10 clips missing. So, I don't know if buttoning those up will help with that or not.

I know nothing about drums, but I do understand the limitations of the PTS kit - likely why they didn't catch on.

Man I totally forgot about those things. $75 may have been too much!

You may want to find a local machine shop and have some made. It may not cost as much as you might think depending on the difficulty and you might have leftovers.

Ha, yeah, I realize the kit is not top of the line (or may not even be on the line anywhere!), but it was a complete kit. $75 and he's away and playing. Everything else I saw for under $100 either had a cracked shell on one tom, no snare, no cymbals, needs new heads, etc.

Machine shop is a good idea, thanks.

Well with my drumset, i just buy a new drum...cause I'm a waste of money!

Oh, and make sure he learns YYZ FIRST!!! I can't stress that enough!!! :tongue:

• Like 1

You can find single crotales but they are rare. The set is $$$$!

That was fast.

Good luck to your son! How is he progressing?

Thanks all for the responses. I bought the kit about a month ago, and have been trying to rehab it during that time. My son just "got" the kit yesterday, so he's just starting.

I was able to really clean up the crash / ride cymbal (reading more drum forum hints) and the drum heads. I left the hi hat in it's sort of darkened color - I was a little nervous about working on it with Bar Keeper's Friend or any polish. With the exception of the missing clips and the peeing of the hoop head film (no idea what to call that), I think it looks great, considering my investment. I think they sound fine for a beginner, with the exception of the kick. It sounds very "boing-y" - more like a kettle drum tone than a bold, resonant oomph. Between the batter side and the resonant (?) side, there are 10 clips missing. So, I don't know if buttoning those up will help with that or not.

I know nothing about drums, but I do understand the limitations of the PTS kit - likely why they didn't catch on.

Most drummers stuff blankets or pillows and s**t in the bass drum to stop that sound your hearing. It deadens it a little.

I've seen a lot of drummers just ring the cup of a cymbal for the YYZ intro.

What do I know? I play the other stuff. Haha

And most drummers' bass drums sound like dog sh!t.

We used to use desk bells because you can either play it with your foot or take it apart and mount it on a small extension stand. Neil doesn't even use a real crotales anymore. He triggers a sample on the MidiKat.

Yyz is not exactly first lesson material. To be able to play Yyz or anything for that matter what every drummer should learn is proper sticking and the basic rudiments. I studied from a couple of books by Myron D. Collins, but they don't seem available these days. However, Stick Control by George Lawrence Stone is an excellent book for sticking fundamentals.

We used to use desk bells because you can either play it with your foot or take it apart and mount it on a small extension stand. Neil doesn't even use a real crotales anymore. He triggers a sample on the MidiKat.

Yyz is not exactly first lesson material. To be able to play Yyz or anything for that matter what every drummer should learn is proper sticking and the basic rudiments. I studied from a couple of books by Myron D. Collins, but they don't seem available these days. However, Stick Control by George Lawrence Stone is an excellent book for sticking fundamentals.

I think he was kidding with YYZ as his first song... at least I hope he was kidding.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was kidding. My son is a loooong way from being able to play YYZ or any simplified version of it. And, I am a loooong way from buying him a crotale set or MidiKat - hence the whopping $75 for an old kit with obvious limitations.

I think he was kidding with YYZ as his first song... at least I hope he was kidding.

Um, duh....

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was kidding. My son is a loooong way from being able to play YYZ or any simplified version of it. And, I am a loooong way from buying him a crotale set or MidiKat - hence the whopping $75 for an old kit with obvious limitations.

But you CAN get a desk bell from Staples for like $5. :)