Mike vs Mike

Cygnus 2112

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who's a better Drummer?

• Mike Portnoy
    • Mike Mangini

Big back peddle, lol

Mick

Wouldn't be the first time he did such a thing. He did it once before when he got caught on video trashing his drumkit and then proceeding to do a rant in a horrendous excuse of a rap about how much his drum tech was mucking around with his drums in the Philippines during a tour with Billy Sheehan, Tony MacAlpine and Derek Sherinian. And his excuse for justifying why he trashed it? He and the rest of the band were using supplied gear and local techs for the entire tour. I'm trying to see if the video of it is circulating on YouTube, cause it was hilariously embarrassing on Portnoy's part, lol. :LMAO:

• Like 1

Big back peddle, lol

Mick

Wouldn't be the first time he did such a thing. He did it once before when he got caught on video trashing his drumkit and then proceeding to do a rant in a horrendous excuse of a rap about how much his drum tech was mucking around with his drums in the Philippines during a tour with Billy Sheehan, Tony MacAlpine and Derek Sherinian. And his excuse for justifying why he trashed it? He and the rest of the band were using supplied gear and local techs for the entire tour. I'm trying to see if the video of it is circulating on YouTube, cause it was hilariously embarrassing on Portnoy's part, lol. :LMAO:

Yeah I remember that. Was quite the hit video on youtube until it was removed. I can't find a mirror either, though i know they exist.

Never knew the guy was this much of a ***t. Repeating for those that didn't see the other thread :D

you have to watch the Systematic Chaos Documentary. It's what made me hope for his exit, lol

Mick

Never knew the guy was this much of a ***t. Repeating for those that didn't see the other thread :D

you have to watch the Systematic Chaos Documentary. It's what made me hope for his exit, lol

Mick

I mean it doesn't kill my view of their talent, it just makes me more reluctant to give them cash/support. Like John Lennon and his douchebaggery

• Like 1

Mick

I mean it doesn't kill my view of their talent, it just makes me more reluctant to give them cash/support. Like John Lennon and his douchebaggery

Lennon's a GREAT example. Certainly far from golden.

Mick

Big back peddle, lol

Mick

Yeah I remember that. Was quite the hit video on youtube until it was removed. I can't find a mirror either, though i know they exist.

It was Portnoy's "Beatles in Manila" moment.

Mangini.

DT were a very special band once upon a time, but became very hit-or-miss after Six Degrees. I said in the other thread that I found his presence suffocating. He seemed to go way overboard on the kit and that bugged me a lot. Plus I thought the musical direction got stale after awhile, and I put a good amount of blame on him for that. I thought Black Clouds & Silver Linings was unlistenable.

Mangini is a better technical drummer and seems to let the music around him breathe a bit more. I'd like to see a few more albums, but it just seems like the change was necessary to Dream Theater avoiding total redundancy. At least to these ears. So if we're talking modern day, I'd say Mangini without hesitation. I stopped being impressed with Portnoy a long time ago.

Plus, Portnoy is kind of a wimp. And loves himself an awful lot (you guys clearly saw his bitter posts about the DT shirt, LOL). I know we're talking drumming ability but I can't help but really dislike Mike Portnoy the guy, too.

But knowing a musician is a prick kinda kills my impression of their music a little, like Dave Mustaine going all nutso homophobic and endorsing Rick Santorum. WTF?

Great example. I have a hard time listening to Megadeth without thinking of Dave Mustaine, the person rather than Dave Mustaine, the musician.

• Like 1

But knowing a musician is a prick kinda kills my impression of their music a little, like Dave Mustaine going all nutso homophobic and endorsing Rick Santorum. WTF?

Great example. I have a hard time listening to Megadeth without thinking of Dave Mustaine, the person rather than Dave Mustaine, the musician.

I liked him better when he was on heroin and practiced black magic

Same. Attitudes and political views (extreme ones like Mustaine, I can listen to guys I don't agree with as long as it isn't overbearing), along with other factors, play into how I feel about the musical product. Sometimes it's just hard to shake that feeling.

Eddie Van Halen is a good example for me. No matter how anyone felt about Mike Anthony as a contributor, photoshopping his son onto the old album covers in Mike's place was as low as it got. Van Halen used to be a favorite band but they did a good job making me not care at all what they do next.

As of right now: Portnoy.

It's a shame too that I'm going with Portnoy on this one, because Portnoy is a total douchebag while Mangini seems like a decent guy.

Happy with this timing

;)

I think most of us who went with Portnoy feel the same by this point. I know I do.

There's a litany of Portnoy miscues, twitter blow-ups, childish outbursts and ill-advised immature comments since he left DT. It's amazing how stunted his awareness is considering he's a veteran pro musician. Maybe this is his midlife crisis?

• Like 2

Where's the "who cares"option?

Seriously though, I never really liked Portnoy because good drummer that he is, the man will simply not play a groove...very annoying as when they are in the mood DT can produce some nice metal riffage, and it was a pain in the arse with him varying the beat/timing all over the place when it wasn't neccessary.

I´m probably the only one who thinks he´s entitled to be upset. I have a Winery Dogs shirt, and never thought of wearing it at a meet & greet with Dream Theater. Imagine if you invited your friends for a party and someone showed up with a t-shirt with a photo of your ex-wife...

I´m probably the only one who thinks he´s entitled to be upset. I have a Winery Dogs shirt, and never thought of wearing it at a meet & greet with Dream Theater. Imagine if you invited your friends for a party and someone showed up with a t-shirt with a photo of your ex-wife...

I don't mind that he's upset, but the fans can wear whatever the hell they want. Suck it up man and don't make a public ass outta yourself.

Mick

• Like 3