My Top 25—What's Yours?

Disk98

Eh, I listen to Hemispheres (the song) maybe three times a year as opposed to 100+ times a year for Presto. This isn't a best list but a list of my personal favorites. Hemispheres would probably crack my top 40.

:facepalm:

I enjoy Hemispheres in small doses. it is too long. Less is more. Excellent musicianship but it doesn't affect me much on a personal or emotional level. It's enjoyable to listen to and I appreciate the technical qualities but doesn't do much for me otherwise. The "story" itself isn't exactly completely engaging. It doesn't have an emotional grab like a song like Presto or Vital Signs of The Weapon where the music serves to enhance the lyrical content and creates something to internalize and absorb and reflect on. Sorry, regardless of the ambition and technical qualities of the song Hemispheres, the content of the song itself is somewhat superficial and doesn't support it's lofty overextended approach. Perhaps if it told a more interesting "story" that engaged me enough to listen to it more frequently I would have more reverence for it. Otherwise it's a technical showpiece that has flashes of brilliance but does not have the drawing power for me to sustain frequent repeated listenings. It's good in small doses. I appreciate it but do not care about it as much as the other songs I've listed.

Edited by savagegrace26

Eh, I listen to Hemispheres (the song) maybe three times a year as opposed to 100+ times a year for Presto. This isn't a best list but a list of my personal favorites. Hemispheres would probably crack my top 40.

I enjoy Hemispheres in small doses. it is too long. Less is more. Excellent musicianship but it doesn't affect me much on a personal or emotional level. It's enjoyable to listen to and I appreciate the technical qualities but doesn't do much for me otherwise. The "story" itself isn't exactly completely engaging. It doesn't have an emotional grab like a song like Presto or Vital Signs of The Weapon where the music serves to enhance the lyrical content and creates something to internalize and absorb and reflect on. Sorry, regardless of the ambition and technical qualities of the song Hemispheres, the content of the song itself is somewhat superficial and doesn't support it's lofty overextended approach. Perhaps if it told a more interesting "story" that engaged me enough to listen to it more frequently I would have more reverence for it. Otherwise it's a technical showpiece that has flashes of brilliance but does not have the drawing power for me to sustain frequent repeated listenings. It's good in small doses. I appreciate it but do not care about it as much as the other songs I've listed.

The content is superficial? Hmmmm...I think you're missing the bigger picture. Hemispheres definitely creates something to internalize and reflect on
  • Like 1

I see where you're coming from there (apart from the "superficial" comment), even if I don't agree. At least you included Available Light...

(Cue Spaghetti)

Edited by len(songs)
  • Like 1

2112 didn't make my list either (although it could've) and I prefer both that and Cygnus X-1 over Hemispheres. Natural Science is a perfect example of an "intellectually" and emotionally engaging piece that has amazing instrumentation that sustains itself by having the perfect length without wearing out it's welcome. Hence it's my #1 choice.

The content is superficial? Hmmmm...I think you're missing the bigger picture. Hemispheres definitely creates something to internalize and reflect on

How so? Like "Dude lets hit that bong again"? I don't get it. What's so life changing about it?

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Like "Dude lets hit that bong again!" I don't get it. What's so life changing about it?

The big picture? You mean absurdity? A guy flies a spaceship into a black hole and ends up prancing around with Greek gods? Ok? The rational vs emotional angle isn't really all that deep either. Honestly, Geddy's vocals are kind of shrill here and make it somewhat of a chore to listen to - I'm listening to it right now. I really have to be in the right mood to listen to it - which is rare.

Edited by savagegrace26

Like "Dude lets hit that bong again!" I don't get it. What's so life changing about it?

The big picture? You mean absurdity? A guy flies a spaceship into a black hole and ends up prancing around with Greek gods? Ok? The rational vs emotional angle isn't really all that deep either. Honestly, Geddy's vocals are kind of shrill here and make it somewhat of a chore to listen to - I'm listening to it right now. I really have to be in the right mood to listen to it - which is rare.

I'm so baked. Let's crank it again. Far out man!

• Like 1

Geddy's vocals are kind of shrill here and make it somewhat of a chore

When you quote Rushgoober I get a thrill up my leg

Geddy's vocals are kind of shrill here and make it somewhat of a chore

When you quote Rushgoober I get a thrill up my leg

The sly Jungian psychology and references contained in Animate make that song have ten times the depth than the childish and simplistic treatment of Nietzschean concepts in Hemispheres.

You listen to Presto on average once every 3.65 days? Oh, man. Please Lord Lucifer, throw me back in the fiery pit again, but don't make me listen to Presto again!

• Like 2

You listen to Presto on average once every 3.65 days? Oh, man. Please Lord Lucifer, throw me back in the fiery pit again, but don't make me listen to Presto again!

Only during leap years

How so? Like "Dude lets hit that bong again"? I don't get it. What's so life changing about it?

Woah woah woah. I never said the message was life changing. I simply said that it provides the listener with something interesting to reflect on. By the way, great idea about the bong dude! :smoke:

It's not the deepest song ever, but it ain't superficial either
  • Like 1

Woah woah woah. I never said the message was life changing. I simply said that it provides the listener with something interesting to reflect on. By the way, great idea about the bong dude! :smoke:

it was a joke. I don't get high.

I was also joking haha

I was also joking haha

I'm quite surprised you don't find Hemisphere's story interesting. Man's internal struggle between heart and mind played out as a battle between the gods of both. Every soul a battlefield. I find the story riveting.

• Like 4

I was also joking haha

I'm quite surprised you don't find Hemisphere's story interesting. Man's internal struggle between heart and mind played out as a battle between the gods of both. Every soul a battlefield. I find the story riveting.

Yes, exactly. I've always loved the Greek god myths, so that was an additional element that made it interesting for me. Plus, this particular struggle for balance in one's life is a topic that is repeated throughout Rush's music, the most recent being the story behind Clockwork Angels.

• Like 2

Mine's pretty predictable, but I don't give a shit. Most of these songs are what made them so great...

1. La Villa Strangiato

2. Tom Sawyer

3. 2112

4. Hemispheres

5. Subdivisions

6. Red Barchetta

7. Anthem

8. Natural Science

9. Something For Nothing

10. Bytor & The Snow Dog

11. Jacob's Ladder

12. Cygnus X-1