Pick a Presto song they should play next tour

Pick a Presto song they should play next tour  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which Presto song should they play?

• Show Don't Tell (last played 1994)
    • Chain Lightning (never played live)
    • The Pass (last played 2013)
    • War Paint (last played 1990)
    • Scars (last played 1990)
    • Presto (last played 2011)
    • Superconductor (last played 1992)
    • Anagram for mongo (never played live)
    • Red Tide (never played live)
    • Hand Over Fist (never played live)
    • Available Light (never played live)
    • None

Scars. easy to sing, cool drums and groovy as all hell!
  • Like 1

I chose Chain Lightning, The Pass, and Available Light.

I don't quite understand the affection for Chain Lightning. What is it about that song for you?

Hello toymaker,

My Father passed away two years ago, and the lyrics, “This moment may be brief, but it can be so bright. Reflected in another source of light… when the moment dies, the spark still flies, reflected in another pair of eyes.” are very meaningful to me. Thank you so much for taking interest and asking me; I love when people respond to my posts. :)

Given the backstory for this song, there's no way it gets played live. Neil wouldn't be able to get through it, I'm sure. And he'd likely be a mess for the next few songs...all for a very understandable reason...

WATCH HIS EVERY MOVE!!!

:outtahere:

:P

Uh, :no:

Running a red light! :LOL:

Good move. All the bathrooms INSIDE the arena will be in use if they play that abomination.

• Like 1

WATCH HIS EVERY MOVE!!!

:outtahere:

:P

Uh, :no:

Running a red light! :LOL:

Good move. All the bathrooms INSIDE the arena will be in use if they play that abomination.

Good,

I won't have to wait. :dweez:

• Like 1

I picked HOF. I saw the Presto tour twice. I've always thought HOF is a catchy song, not my favorite, but not my least either. AL is just to hard unless GED Is looking for that challenge as a vocalist, u can't see him ever trying.

None. Can't we just move past this dreadful album?

Dreadful? Maybe to you, but there's plenty of people that would call this there #1 Rush album!

"Plenty" may be a stretch. Can we agree maybe 2 or 3 think this? :huh:

Of course, if we can't get 5 dentists to agree on a toothbrush, music doesn't stand a chance. :D

• Like 2

Dreadful? Maybe to you, but there's plenty of people that would call this there #1 Rush album!

Of course, if we can't get 5 dentists to agree on a toothbrush, music doesn't stand a chance. :D

I'm sure there's more than 2 or 3. (I'm not one of them.) Hahaha I did enjoy your little joke there. :D

Edited by Pars123
  • Like 1

I'm sure there's more than 2 or 3. (I'm not one of them.) Hahaha I did enjoy your little joke there. :D

I like the album but I don't recall anybody having it on top. There is only one around here that I recall who's top album really stands out. Counterparts.......
  • Like 2

I like the album but I don't recall anybody having it on top. There is only one around here that I recall who's top album really stands out. Counterparts.......

Hey, Virtualbob just joined the forum, I'm no longer alone! :D

• Like 1

Hey, Virtualbob just joined the forum, I'm no longer alone! :D

2 peas in a pod..... :cool:

Now that I think about it, Superconductor may be higher up on my list than Show Don't Tell…but I can't change my vote! :(

I feel like it's maybe underrated by a lot of people on here.

Edited by Pars123

I feel like it's maybe underrated by a lot of people on here. Sorry double posted.

Edited by Pars123

I'm sure plenty of people like the album. A whole bunch may even love it... but top album? More than three would surprise me.

There are better songs they can do. And I want the entire Xanadu. Presto is not that important an album to me.

Well, of course you want Xanadu :wub: . It will be your first live show!

At least The Pass. That song is gorgeous and one of Rush's favorites... if not their #1 favorite.

Yes, it is gorgeous and I never listen to it without my eyes tearing up. It's out of place on that album. Just like Closer To The Heart was on AFTK.

Regardless of it being a soft song, it is, in my opinion, one of their best written songs from all angles. The Oscar Wilde reference is just incredible. The guitar work is haunting and Alex' crescendo is freaking perfect.

That said, I was actually a bit surprised when they pulled it off the shelf for CA tour.

I get why it made it on the VT tour set list. In the interview for the Rio DVD, Neil said he often gets emotional playing The Pass "not only for what it expresses explicitly lyrically, but because it is one of our better crafted ones." I think, though, we can all agree Neil was omitting another reason that song is emotional for him. He flat out admitted he considered ending it all in Ghost Rider and it seems he ended up taking his own advice from The Pass in realizing, while his state was understandable at the time, there would have been nothing heroic in that path. Including The Pass on the VT comeback tour was, I think, important for Neil (and perhaps equally for Alex and Geddy) because it acknowledged the open secret. Fans can think they played the song for the fans, but really, I am convinced the band played it for themselves (and they get to do that!).

That said, I really thought that after VT they would shelve that song permanently, for the same reason they have basically shelved the VT album. So, who knows, maybe this one makes the cut in 2015...

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

I voted for Anagram.

It's quirky, nerdy, and entirely entertaining. In sum: Rush.

As for some of the hate directed at this album, I would throw out two thoughts. One, as a young man, I was there. Two, as you age and life has its way with you, the album will grow on you to a point where you will not only like it, but you will appreciate it.

Trust me, everyone hates dry wine when they first try it. ;)