Your Favourite Director's/Extended Cuts

Segue Myles

So...I love movies...always have, always will. Sometimes a director I like makes a dreadful, pitiful mess of a movie that had so much going for it on paper. One example: Ridley Scott's abysmal Kingdom Of Heaven. What a mess...

...and then I find the Director's Cut for less than a fiver online, and it not only improves on the original theatrical cut, it blows most of his films right out of the water!

So what director's cuts have you seen that stick out as improvements? And why?

For me:

Kingdom Of Heaven

Gladiator (referred to only as Extended Cut)

Troy (not great, simply better)

The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy

Blade Runner

ETA: I find that although the missing bits are interesting by themselves, directors cut versions are rarely better as complete films.

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

Blade Runner

ETA: I find that although the missing bits are interesting by themselves, directors cut versions are rarely better as complete films.

Amen. A great film. Way ahead of its time

• Like 1

Blade Runner

Compare Kingdom Of Heaven before and after...seriously.

And I forgot to mention King Kong. I love Peter Jackson's extended cut!

Blade Runner

Amen. A great film. Way ahead of its time

I haven't seen all the cuts, so chose not to list it.

I don't worry about directors, I just go by films. Is the film good? When I start watching all films by one director I end up with a bunch of duds by and large.

Ridley Scott is overrated, but his best works are great! But his duds are absolutely terrible.

• Like 1

http://www.filmonpaper.com/site/media/2011/03/TheAbyssSE_quad-1-500x375.jpg

Aliens and T2 directors cuts were also really good.

Edited by Rushman14
  • Like 1

I don't worry about directors, I just go by films. Is the film good? When I start watching all films by one director I end up with a bunch of duds by and large.

Ridley Scott is overrated, but his best works are great! But his duds are absolutely terrible.

Yeah, Tony isn't as Oscar friendly as Ridley but he's more consistent in quality. I saw the DC of The Counselor and it still didn't make sense to me. On top of that, no movie death made me more nauseous watching it than

Brad Pitt's bolito beheading

near the end. That was a terrible way to go. Not surprised the MPAA wanted it trimmed a little.

The Lord of the Rings extended cut is what the movie should have been. Best adaptation I can think of of a book series in recent years. The Avatar extended cut is much better than the original. Adds stuff in that didn't make as much sense in the theater release.

he definitely botched Prometheus, with a little help from Damon Lindelof

he definitely botched Prometheus, with a little help from Damon Lindelof

O my days...the photogenic cast THE PHOTOGENIC CAST!

Sorry, but every time Charlize Theron came on screen I thought we were watching a big budget perfume advert. Nothing felt gritty or realistic, which the original Alien did. Sometimes there is reason to remind ourselves why low budget pix are more effective on the senses...

I hated Prometheus. Really, really stained both the Alien franchise (ignoring the AvP films), and Ridley Scott's reputation (as if the theatrical, and most widely seen, cut of Kingdom Of Heaven and Robin Hood were not bad enough).

Ridley Scott...seriously frustrating director. But Alien, Legend, Blade Runner (whichever cut it was that I watched), Gladiator and KoH: Director's Cut are brilliant.

Edited by Segue Myles