Guitar amp/pedal emulator

It's been a while since I've done any recording - the last couple years of high school and now college have taken up quite a bit of my time, but now I'm ready to get back into it.

Can some guitar players in here recommend any good software for guitar amp emulation, a la Garage Band? I like my video games and self-respect so I own a Windows PC, so Garage Band is not an option here.

My current bare bones plan consists of plugging my guitar and pedalboard into the computer with a simple 1/4in.-3.5mm jack (like you do!), then do the recording with Audacity. But of course, I'm looking for an amp/pedalboard emulator to have the full electric sound. I've tried hooking up the Marshall before, but it sounds ugly through the computer, so I'm looking for something digital.

Bonus points if you post software that's free. I'd rather not empty my wallet on Pro Tools.

You take a typical stab at macs here (you probably similarly are an archetypal redditor who does the same to Nic Cage), but you seem to have found that Macs are kinder when it comes to producing media.

Reason Essentials is all I know of for what you require. It's not open source software, but like most software it's indeed free if you know the magic words.

I just use audacity and FL studio personally.

You take a typical stab at macs here (you probably similarly are an archetypal redditor who does the same to Nic Cage), but you seem to have found that Macs are kinder when it comes to producing media.

Reason Essentials is all I know of for what you require. It's not open source software, but like most software it's indeed free if you know the magic words.

1. I don't use Reddit. 2. My jab at Macs was a joke, sorry if I offended you. Forget I said it.

I'll check out the software you listed above.

1. I don't use Reddit. 2. My jab at Macs was a joke, sorry if I offended you. Forget I said it.

I'll check out the software you listed above.

1. oh 2. no need to apologize (to someone like me :LOL: )

• Like 1

It's been a while since I've done any recording - the last couple years of high school and now college have taken up quite a bit of my time, but now I'm ready to get back into it.

Can some guitar players in here recommend any good software for guitar amp emulation, a la Garage Band? I like my video games and self-respect so I own a Windows PC, so Garage Band is not an option here.

My current bare bones plan consists of plugging my guitar and pedalboard into the computer with a simple 1/4in.-3.5mm jack (like you do!), then do the recording with Audacity. But of course, I'm looking for an amp/pedalboard emulator to have the full electric sound. I've tried hooking up the Marshall before, but it sounds ugly through the computer, so I'm looking for something digital.

Bonus points if you post software that's free. I'd rather not empty my wallet on Pro Tools.

I use Amplitube for my amp modeling and Cakewalk's Guitar Tracks Pro for recording. I think there's a free version of Amplitube...but as far as I know you gotta' pay for GTP.

IK Multimedia makes a product called Stealth Plug that is a 1/4 in to USB cable that comes with a light version of Amplitube. I use one for figuring out songs on my laptop (MacBook). You take your life in your hands on Windows for music productions for several reasons, mostly functionality and UI. That translates into generally clunky when compared to using the same apps on a Mac.

I have at least 5 different amp modelers and all have pluses and minuses. Amplitube is kind of scratchy in the top end but the effects sound good for the most part. PODFarm has good sounding amps, but effects can make things mushy. GuitarRig has a lot of stuff, but none sound as good as Amplitube or PODFarm. These 3 all come as plugin and stand alone versions. I haven't really checked out Eleven (ProTools) or the built in Logic sim much. None sound as good as a real amp and a good mic. But like I said I do use Amplitube for practice purposes.