Jump to content


Narp, how goes the delve into the later career?


  • Please log in to reply
1229 replies to this topic

#41 LedRush

LedRush

    The Counterparts Remain The Same

  • Members *
  • 24836 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Very small southeast Asian island
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

I just finished listening to Hold Your Fire. To be honest the majority of it is torture to my ears. It sounds like a bad Journey album but without the great ballads is the best way I can describe it. I would listen to Force Ten, Mission and maybe Turn The Page again. The rest, no thanks. When I got to Tai Shan I couldn't take more than 2 minutes of it and skipped the rest. High Water the same. Hope I didn't miss some "great guitar solo" or something by doing that. Something tells me I didn't. That album couldn't ever possibly grow on me. Just my opinion for what its worth....

What about Time Stand Still?  I love the lyrics to that song, and I can't listen to it without having a vision of summers with friends (though the song asks me to look around, not back).

Sponsored Post

#42 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 32237 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

View PostLorraine, on 10 July 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 10 July 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

I just finished listening to Hold Your Fire. To be honest the majority of it is torture to my ears. It sounds like a bad Journey album but without the great ballads is the best way I can describe it. I would listen to Force Ten, Mission and maybe Turn The Page again. The rest, no thanks. When I got to Tai Shan I couldn't take more than 2 minutes of it and skipped the rest. High Water the same. Hope I didn't miss some "great guitar solo" or something by doing that. Something tells me I didn't. That album couldn't ever possibly grow on me. Just my opinion for what its worth....

I'm too horrified :o to respond at the moment.  The best I can think of to say for right now is that I like your honesty.  Even if it does horrify :o  me.
What can I say. Just keep'in it real. That is not the band I spent countless hours in my room listening too. Like I have said before if that was my first exposure to the band I probably wouldn't be here at all. That sound is not for me....

Wait until Segue gets here. :unsure:

I can cope with someone not liking Hold Your Fire. Some people lack the mental capacity to cope with such awesome power.

But I have faith Narpski will find something to like in Presto and Counterparts. I am not saying LOVE like, say, 2112 or AFTK, but if he can tolerate Power Windows on the basis of the odd good/great song, he should at least find something more pleasing on these two albums...I am being serious when I say I love most of Presto as much as I do Moving Pictures. Only problem is that the songs I don't love REALLY let the side down! (Superconductor...).

HYF is a masterpiece but only if you like that sort of sound (I do, haha!).

#43 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27722 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

View PostLedRush, on 10 July 2014 - 04:17 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

I just finished listening to Hold Your Fire. To be honest the majority of it is torture to my ears. It sounds like a bad Journey album but without the great ballads is the best way I can describe it. I would listen to Force Ten, Mission and maybe Turn The Page again. The rest, no thanks. When I got to Tai Shan I couldn't take more than 2 minutes of it and skipped the rest. High Water the same. Hope I didn't miss some "great guitar solo" or something by doing that. Something tells me I didn't. That album couldn't ever possibly grow on me. Just my opinion for what its worth....

What about Time Stand Still?  I love the lyrics to that song, and I can't listen to it without having a vision of summers with friends (though the song asks me to look around, not back).
Its ok. I have obviously heard that one a time or two before and seen the video.... :facepalm:

#44 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27722 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

I may listen to Presto tonight if I can get this headache to go away..... :)

#45 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42212 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

I may listen to Presto tonight if I can get this headache to go away..... :)

Maybe you better not.  It might make it worse.  Wait until tomorrow.

#46 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27722 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostLorraine, on 10 July 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

I may listen to Presto tonight if I can get this headache to go away..... :)

Maybe you better not.  It might make it worse.  Wait until tomorrow.
Good idea my dear. I think I will make a quick trip for a Pepsi and be back in a flash and try to forget what I have heard. If I yell at the t.v some that will help also..... :lol:

Edited by Narpski, 10 July 2014 - 04:36 PM.


#47 Disk98

Disk98

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3925 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:New York Yankees
     electronics
    bass guitar
    piano

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

View PostLorraine, on 10 July 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

I may listen to Presto tonight if I can get this headache to go away..... :)

Maybe you better not.  It might make it worse.  Wait until tomorrow.

Or it might put you to sleep…

#48 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 32237 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

Presto is a fantastic.

#49 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 15749 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

Presto's a top 5 album for me.  Ear candy.  Then again i'm an 80's Rush guy through and through.

Mick

#50 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 32237 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 10 July 2014 - 05:08 PM, said:

Presto's a top 5 album for me.  Ear candy.  Then again i'm an 80's Rush guy through and through.

Mick

Its hard to have a top five when every album from Caress Of Steel through to Counterparts, minus Roll The Bones, comes close to a perfect score, or else just a perfect score haha!

Presto is one of my current favourites.

#51 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27722 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 10 July 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

I may listen to Presto tonight if I can get this headache to go away..... :)

Maybe you better not.  It might make it worse.  Wait until tomorrow.
Good idea my dear. I think I will make a quick trip for a Pepsi and be back in a flash and try to forget what I have heard. If I yell at the t.v some that will help also..... :lol:
I heard some Monkees "I'm A Believer" on the way down the street for my Pepsi. All is right with the world again.... :dweez:

#52 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42212 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 10 July 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

I may listen to Presto tonight if I can get this headache to go away..... :)

Maybe you better not.  It might make it worse.  Wait until tomorrow.
Good idea my dear. I think I will make a quick trip for a Pepsi and be back in a flash and try to forget what I have heard. If I yell at the t.v some that will help also..... :lol:
I heard some Monkees "I'm A Believer" on the way down the street for my Pepsi. All is right with the world again.... :dweez:

I hope you are not inferring that the Monkees' song is better than anything on Hold Your Fire!!!   ;)

#53 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 32237 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Nightwish
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    REM
    Thrice
    Idlewild
    Jimmy Eat World
    HIM
    Paradise Lost
    AFI
    U2
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sonata Arctica
    Pearl Jam
    Biffy Clyro
    Placebo

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:21 PM

View PostLorraine, on 10 July 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 10 July 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

I may listen to Presto tonight if I can get this headache to go away..... :)

Maybe you better not.  It might make it worse.  Wait until tomorrow.
Good idea my dear. I think I will make a quick trip for a Pepsi and be back in a flash and try to forget what I have heard. If I yell at the t.v some that will help also..... :lol:
I heard some Monkees "I'm A Believer" on the way down the street for my Pepsi. All is right with the world again.... :dweez:

I hope you are not inferring that the Monkees' song is better than anything on Hold Your Fire!!!   ;)

Um...I am with Narporpoise here...The Monkees had some absolute stone cold classics...better than HYF.

#54 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42212 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 10 July 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 10 July 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 10 July 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

I may listen to Presto tonight if I can get this headache to go away..... :)

Maybe you better not.  It might make it worse.  Wait until tomorrow.
Good idea my dear. I think I will make a quick trip for a Pepsi and be back in a flash and try to forget what I have heard. If I yell at the t.v some that will help also..... :lol:
I heard some Monkees "I'm A Believer" on the way down the street for my Pepsi. All is right with the world again.... :dweez:

I hope you are not inferring that the Monkees' song is better than anything on Hold Your Fire!!!   ;)

Um...I am with Narporpoise here...The Monkees had some absolute stone cold classics...better than HYF.

I agree that the Monkees had some nice ditties back in the sixties, but to say that anything the Monkees did is actually on the same level as Rush  is more than I can bear.  :hi:

#55 x1yyz

x1yyz

    The Shark Whisperer

  • Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Oakland, CA
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

View PostLedRush, on 10 July 2014 - 04:17 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

I just finished listening to Hold Your Fire. To be honest the majority of it is torture to my ears. It sounds like a bad Journey album but without the great ballads is the best way I can describe it. I would listen to Force Ten, Mission and maybe Turn The Page again. The rest, no thanks. When I got to Tai Shan I couldn't take more than 2 minutes of it and skipped the rest. High Water the same. Hope I didn't miss some "great guitar solo" or something by doing that. Something tells me I didn't. That album couldn't ever possibly grow on me. Just my opinion for what its worth....

What about Time Stand Still?  I love the lyrics to that song, and I can't listen to it without having a vision of summers with friends (though the song asks me to look around, not back).

I can't listen to it without visions of drum kits flying through the air.  :Neil:

#56 x1yyz

x1yyz

    The Shark Whisperer

  • Members
  • 8821 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Oakland, CA
  • Interests:Stuff. And things.

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 10 July 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

Presto is a fantastic.

Hey Segue, you forgot to finish your sentence.  Let me help you with that:


View PostSegue Myles, on 10 July 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

Presto is a fantastic piece of $h!t.

There you go.  :outtahere:

#57 BowlCity

BowlCity

    Cutler's Like a Knife (but it feels so right)

  • Members *
  • 10245 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kansas City
  • Interests:Video games, computer programming, guitar, Da Bears and Cubs

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

View Postx1yyz, on 10 July 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 10 July 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

Presto is a fantastic.

Hey Segue, you forgot to finish your sentence.  Let me help you with that:


View PostSegue Myles, on 10 July 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

Presto is a fantastic piece of $h!t.

There you go.  :outtahere:

:lol:!!!! You win :D

#58 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27722 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

View Postx1yyz, on 10 July 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 10 July 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

Presto is a fantastic.

Hey Segue, you forgot to finish your sentence.  Let me help you with that:


View PostSegue Myles, on 10 July 2014 - 04:56 PM, said:

Presto is a fantastic piece of $h!t.

There you go.  :outtahere:
^^^^^^^ This is my kinda woman right here.... :madra:

#59 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42212 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

Bowl City, this is all your fault.  If you hadn't started this thread, the Holy Trio wouldn't have been blasphemed.

#60 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27722 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 10 July 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 10 July 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

View PostLorraine, on 10 July 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

View PostNarpski, on 10 July 2014 - 04:31 PM, said:

I may listen to Presto tonight if I can get this headache to go away..... :)

Maybe you better not.  It might make it worse.  Wait until tomorrow.
Good idea my dear. I think I will make a quick trip for a Pepsi and be back in a flash and try to forget what I have heard. If I yell at the t.v some that will help also..... :lol:
I heard some Monkees "I'm A Believer" on the way down the street for my Pepsi. All is right with the world again.... :dweez:

I hope you are not inferring that the Monkees' song is better than anything on Hold Your Fire!!!   ;)

Um...I am with Narporpoise here...The Monkees had some absolute stone cold classics...better than HYF.
I liked Narptesticles better..... :ph34r: :outtahere:




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users