Exotic Meat

ILSnwdog

On Saturday the family and I went to a bison farm. We bought some bison steaks, bison burgers, and they had other "exotic" meat, so we bought some alligator. We made the alligator on Sunday. We breaded it with creole seasoning and flour, and deep fried it. It was excellent. Yesterday I grilled the bison steaks. I had ribeye and sirloin. The flavor was wonderful, but it was tougher than regular beef.

I've had plenty of venison before, and I've had bison at resturants before, but I've never made it myself.

What "exotic" meat have you cooked up?

Best exotic thing ive ever eaten was probably California Condor. VERY rare. Gamey, but good, tastes like a blend of bald eagle and spotted owl
  • Like 6

Best exotic thing ive ever eaten was probably California Condor. VERY rare. Gamey, but good, tastes like a blend of bald eagle and spotted owl

:laughing guy:

I had some of this before the sea ice melts and they are all gone. I figured I had better hurry.....

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9571556.ece/alternates/w620/penguin-AFP-Getty.jpg

• Like 4

On Saturday the family and I went to a bison farm. We bought some bison steaks, bison burgers, and they had other "exotic" meat, so we bought some alligator. We made the alligator on Sunday. We breaded it with creole seasoning and flour, and deep fried it. It was excellent. Yesterday I grilled the bison steaks. I had ribeye and sirloin. The flavor was wonderful, but it was tougher than regular beef.

I've had plenty of venison before, and I've had bison at resturants before, but I've never made it myself.

What "exotic" meat have you cooked up?

Out where I came from there wasn't a meat that I could think of that was considered exotic. I have had bison, buffalo, alligator, elk, snake, possum, groundhog, squirrel, rabbit, bear, etc, etc. People hunted everything and we always ate what was killed. Now some city folk would say some or all of those are exotic but I just think of them as dinner. Edited by thesweetscience
  • Like 4

Don't laugh—smoked Possum (much like pork and delicious) and Raccoon. Possum when cooked right will blow your mind. Raccoon is great fried but gamey. Rattlesnake isn't bad. Black bear stew is real tasty. Highly recommend it Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Don't laugh—smoked Possum (much like pork and delicious) and Raccoon. Possum when cooked right will blow your mind. Raccoon is great fried but gamey. Rattlesnake isn't bad. Black bear stew is real tasty. Highly recommend it

I'd like to try snake. They hunt black bear in northern Wisconsin. I'd be up for that.

I've had rabbit before. I've never cooked it myself though. It's freakin delicious!!!

Don't laugh—smoked Possum (much like pork and delicious) and Raccoon. Possum when cooked right will blow your mind. Raccoon is great fried but gamey. Rattlesnake isn't bad. Black bear stew is real tasty. Highly recommend it

I'd like to try snake. They hunt black bear in northern Wisconsin. I'd be up for that.

I've had rabbit before. I've never cooked it myself though. It's freakin delicious!!!

Bear is good, just kinda greasy, which is why its good in a stew. Sorry TM - im calling BS on possum, unless those possums are eating some really good food. Ive had it twice, to me nothing like pork. Rabbit is real good.

Some Mexican guys I know swear armadillo is good (maybe TM is right, armadillos are pretty much armoured possums) but wont touch venison....figure that one out

Bear, cougar, antelope, alligator, turtle. Had a chance to eat monkey in Mexico but passed.

Rabbit, venison, elk and bison are pretty standard fair around here.

Bear, cougar, antelope, alligator, turtle. Had a chance to eat monkey in Mexico but passed.

Antelope - had it a few times. Ill eat it but really doesnt do a ton for me. Would take venison over it any day of the week

Bear is good, just kinda greasy, which is why its good in a stew. Sorry TM - im calling BS on possum, unless those possums are eating some really good food. Ive had it twice, to me nothing like pork. Rabbit is real good.

Some Mexican guys I know swear armadillo is good (maybe TM is right, armadillos are pretty much armoured possums) but wont touch venison....figure that one out

Smoked possum bro...Awesomeness!!!

Antelope - had it a few times. Ill eat it but really doesnt do a ton for me. Would take venison over it any day of the week

I prefer Nevada antelope to Nevada venison, unless the latter is some cow that's been feeding in an alfalfa field.

That reminds me...coming home from Washington we saw a huge stand of antelope in a field just off the highway, south of McDermitt. Beautiful animals.

http://www.donaldmjones.com/data/photos/1932_1pronghorn_antelope03491d.jpg

• Like 1

How does it differ from venison? Is it tougher like elk?

How does it differ from venison? Is it tougher like elk?

Well, I think a lot of it depends on what time of year, and where the animal is. The only antelope ive eaten were from eastern Oregon, they just tasted a little sagey. As far as elk goes, I have only hunted Rosevelt elk, which are coastal. Less gamey and not as tough as venison. If you shoot a bull elk in August/September who is rutting, its going to be tougher and have a stronger (in a bad way) flavor. Ive never shot a bull elk, ive killed 4 or 5 cow elk. My family was always much more concerned with filling up the freezer- which was good because a cow elk usually weighed 6 or 7 hundred pounds. To me, a cow elk tasted like super lean beef- which is awesome

• Like 1

I prefer Nevada antelope to Nevada venison, unless the latter is some cow that's been feeding in an alfalfa field.

That reminds me...coming home from Washington we saw a huge stand of antelope in a field just off the highway, south of McDermitt. Beautiful animals.

Diet of the animal and time of year are big factors.

I never drew any antelope tags in Oregon, its some sort of a lottery system. My brother lives in Wyoming, you can shoot em off his back porch if you wanted- Antelope in Wyoming are like wild hogs in Texas. I did get to hunt antelope hunt in way north Texas, north of Amarillo. It was a ton of fun

• Like 1

Diet of the animal and time of year are big factors.

I never drew any antelope tags in Oregon, its some sort of a lottery system. My brother lives in Wyoming, you can shoot em off his back porch if you wanted- Antelope in Wyoming are like wild hogs in Texas. I did get to hunt antelope hunt in way north Texas, north of Amarillo. It was a ton of fun

I remember driving through Wyoming and seeing antelope EVERYWHERE!!!!

When I go Grouse hunting with my buddies, I'm always the only person who likes Spruce Grouse. Rough Grouse is great too, very similar to chicken; but Spruce Grouse has a gamier, almost juniper flavor... Everyone else hates it, but I love it. I'm always happy to take them off their hands.
  • Like 1

When I go Grouse hunting with my buddies, I'm always the only person who likes Spruce Grouse. Rough Grouse is great too, very similar to chicken; but Spruce Grouse has a gamier, almost juniper flavor... Everyone else hates it, but I love it. I'm always happy to take them off their hands.

I love gamey fowl! I have friends that like to shoot, but hate the meat. That means all the duck I want with none of the work.

I love gamey fowl! I have friends that like to shoot, but hate the meat. That means all the duck I want with none of the work.

They clean the birds before they give them to you? That's a sweet deal! :notworthy:
  • Like 1

Alligator is delicious. Very lean, yet juicy and flavorful. Had it fried when I lived in Georgia, and the Iowa State Fair, which is notorious for its over the top fair food, had some alligator on a stick a couple of years ago, and it was like I was back in Georgia again.
  • Like 2

http://www.personal.kent.edu/~jlefevre/images/dwight-garden-party.gif

Dwight: I can get you exotic meats – hippo steaks, giraffe burgers...

Robert: We'll talk.

Dwight: It'll all be goat.

• Like 2

Alligator is delicious. Very lean, yet juicy and flavorful. Had it fried when I lived in Georgia, and the Iowa State Fair, which is notorious for its over the top fair food, had some alligator on a stick a couple of years ago, and it was like I was back in Georgia again.

I nearly choked to death the one and only time I tried gator. I had it at a restaurant that was popular for its alligator dishes; maybe I caught them on an off night? Anyway I got one of those spiny little bones caught in my throat and only just managed to get it free before yielding to complete and total panic and needing a Heineken Remover. It happened again a few bites later and I was just done with reptiles. Aside from that I found it kind of greasy and not something I'd order again.

Frogs Legs. Gross and nasty those things are! The texture was fine. But it tasted like chicken thighs marinated in scummy swamp water.

One time I was served mystery meat at a friends dinner party. No one could place the flavor or texture of these massive meat steaks she cooked. It was only after we were done choking down the mysterious dish that she revealed she didn't know what it was either. Seems the day before some random guys came to her door selling meat out of the back of their truck. She didn't know them, the truck was unmarked, she didn't ask what the meat was.... god only knows what we ate. Never ate a meal at her house again.

• Like 2