Delay Pedals

Looking for a new toy to add to my collection, so I'm looking for some opinions on delay pedals. Thoughts?

My goal is to build my own delay pedal out of a kit like I did with my Big Muff Pi, but if I choose to go with one that nobody really makes kits for, I'm fine with buying a brand name "standard" version.

TC Electronic Flashback or TC Electronic Alter Ego. I have the Alter Ego, and it is a great delay pedal. You can only buy them new from Pro Guitar Shop. But you can get the Flashback anywhere.

TC Electronic Flashback or TC Electronic Alter Ego. I have the Alter Ego, and it is a great delay pedal. You can only buy them new from Pro Guitar Shop. But you can get the Flashback anywhere.

Well, if he don't mind the shipping cost he can buy it from Denmark and Germany too ;). I love the Alter Ego too, but I wish it had tap tempo. I need that.

• Like 1

Well, if he don't mind the shipping cost he can buy it from Denmark and Germany too ;). I love the Alter Ego too, but I wish it had tap tempo. I need that.

It has strum tempo. Hold the foot switch down for two seconds, and strum at the tempo you want. You might like to do it with just your foot better, and there's nothing wrong with that. But it does have a tempo setting feature.

• Like 1

My amp (Marshall MG100 halfstack) has a tap tempo setting for its internal delay, but of course I'd rather not rely on my amp's settings for effects. I only get 4 channels :LOL:

So what would you say is the difference between the Alter Ego and the Flashback?

The Alter Ego is the same pedal except that two of the least used delay modes from the Flashback (Lo-Fi and Dynamic) have been replaced with custom modes modeled off of vintage delay units from people at Pro Guitar Shop. The new modes are for a vintage Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man, and a vintage Binson Echorec (which is what David Gilmour used on Dark Side of the Moon.) Both of these new modes are great, especially the Echorec. It adds a beautiful, really ethereal modulation to the repeats that you can control with the Level knob. The higher you turn that knob, the more of the modulation you get. It's like having an amazing keyboard sound sitting underneath your playing. The DMM sound is really good, too. It is much more subtle, but provides the type of modulation you'd get from that delay. At lower effect levels, its like your notes are just fattened up nicely. Turn up the effect level, and you get delay with slight modulation.

• Like 1

So what would you say is the difference between the Alter Ego and the Flashback?

The Alter Ego is the same pedal except that two of the least used delay modes from the Flashback (Lo-Fi and Dynamic) have been replaced with custom modes modeled off of vintage delay units from people at Pro Guitar Shop. The new modes are for a vintage Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man, and a vintage Binson Echorec (which is what David Gilmour used on Dark Side of the Moon.) Both of these new modes are great, especially the Echorec. It adds a beautiful, really ethereal modulation to the repeats that you can control with the Level knob. The higher you turn that knob, the more of the modulation you get. It's like having an amazing keyboard sound sitting underneath your playing. The DMM sound is really good, too. It is much more subtle, but provides the type of modulation you'd get from that delay. At lower effect levels, its like your notes are just fattened up nicely. Turn up the effect level, and you get delay with slight modulation.

If you have the money you might want to check out the Alter Ego X4.

A simple Boss DD-3 can be good also, and should be cheaper used. Just be careful what version you buy. Mine is the grey label, and it does not work in an effects loop (clipping).

It has strum tempo. Hold the foot switch down for two seconds, and strum at the tempo you want. You might like to do it with just your foot better, and there's nothing wrong with that. But it does have a tempo setting feature.

That's great! But does it mute the sound while you do it? I tried the pedal once and the Echorec mode was blizz. My bandmates may not be able to appreciate it, but I sure can :D

That's great! But does it mute the sound while you do it? I tried the pedal once and the Echorec mode was blizz. My bandmates may not be able to appreciate it, but I sure can :D

It does mute the sound when you strum the tempo.