The mp3 player shuffle challenge

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Jan 14 2006, 12:01 PM)
Ok i actually have an Mp3 player now...

Requiem For A dream- CLint Mansell- Lord of the Rings: Two towers soundtrack

Tell her Tonight- Franz Ferdinand- Franz Ferdinand

Is this it- The strokes- Is this it

All along the watch Tower- Jimi Hendrix

Mary- Scissor sisters

hmmm

Nice call with the Requiem. In my music theory class, we are listening to a ton of requiems right now, and we listened to that one. Damn good. yes.gif

Forget iPods etc. The new Sony MP3 Walkman is the way to go (despite the crappy software it comes with)

First 5 mine came up with tonight...

Annie Get Your Gun ~ Squeeze: An 80s/90s Lennon and McCartney?

I Believe in Father Christmas ~ Greg Lake: a leftover from Christmas - like Turkey Curry

China In Your Hand ~ T'Pau: Don't ask!

Somethings Gotta Hold Of My Heart ~ Gene Pitney and Marc Almond: Possibly the finest example of a "torch song"

Achilles Last Stand ~ Led Zeppelin: One of their greatest works from latter-day Zeppelin.

FWIW the 6th and 7th songs in the sequence were "All Or Nothing" by The Small Faces and the Show of Hands version of "Turn The Page" by you know who

QUOTE (thestand @ Jan 14 2006, 12:27 PM)
QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Jan 14 2006, 12:01 PM)
Ok i actually have an Mp3 player now...

Requiem For A dream- CLint Mansell- Lord of the Rings: Two towers soundtrack

Tell her Tonight- Franz Ferdinand- Franz Ferdinand

Is this it- The strokes- Is this it

All along the watch Tower- Jimi Hendrix

Mary- Scissor sisters

hmmm

Nice call with the Requiem. In my music theory class, we are listening to a ton of requiems right now, and we listened to that one. Damn good. yes.gif

IF you want to hear something really cool, Download "juice" by GMS or Growling Mad Scientists, it's a techno remix of "requiem for a dream" and is pretty much the coolest techno song I've ever heard.

I picked up Reqiuem cus its the song from the before game cut scene of Lord of the Rings: return of the king, which is an awesome video to the music of requiem....

Just added a ton of stuff...

Bob Dylan- The Story of a Hurricane (his best IMO)

Andrew Bird- The Naming of things (I started a thread about this guy that got one reply....)

The Saw Doctors- Share the Darkness (One of the songs I added, good Irish band...right Madra?)

Rush- Freewill (need I say anything)

The Clash- Lost in the Supermarket (one of my mom's favorites)

Last five were:

Mick Jagger - Gun

Van Halen - Bottoms Up

Janet Jackson wub.gif - Come Back To Me

Arc Angels - Living In A Dream

Frank Sinatra - Witchcraft

Just threw my iPod on shuffle

David Bowie - Future Legends (Diamond Dogs)

Jethro Tull - Slipstream (Aqualung)

Devo - Come Back Jonee (Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!)

The Smashing Pumpkins - Shame (Adore Tour: Atlanta, GA - 08/04/1998)

The Mars Volta - Cassandra Gemini

Kiss - Watching You (Live)

Bugs Bunny Sound Clip

"My Mother Told Me There'd Be Days Like This"

AC/DC - Back In Black

Rush - Distant Early Warning (Live)

Styx - Crystal Ball

America - Sandman

Squeeze - Tempted

Kenny Chesney - Me And You

Kiss - Rock Bottom

Final Word Sound Clip

F*** You

Bob Welch - Sentimenal Lady

The Doors - Love Me Two Times

QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Jul 25 2005, 05:02 PM)
QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Jul 25 2005, 07:41 PM)
QUOTE (kazzman @ Jul 25 2005, 11:07 AM)
Stryper - To Hell With the Devil - Arguably the greatest hit of one of the more prominent christian bands to come out of the 80's. I'm still just getting into Stryper, but this song rocks.

1022.gif

Yes i must agree. A grade a Tune 1022.gif

Man, I forgot all about Stryper! I used to have all of their albums on tape... They sort of came and went before I had a CD player! I bet I haven't listened to those tapes in 10-15 years!

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Feb 22 2006, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Jul 25 2005, 05:02 PM)
QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Jul 25 2005, 07:41 PM)
QUOTE (kazzman @ Jul 25 2005, 11:07 AM)
Stryper - To Hell With the Devil - Arguably the greatest hit of one of the more prominent christian bands to come out of the 80's. I'm still just getting into Stryper, but this song rocks.

1022.gif

Yes i must agree. A grade a Tune 1022.gif

Man, I forgot all about Stryper! I used to have all of their albums on tape... They sort of came and went before I had a CD player! I bet I haven't listened to those tapes in 10-15 years!

I was in high school when that 'cassette' was out. I remember liking that song, yet was driven crazy by his voice. He always seemed to be off in his vocal. Like he wanted to land the note and got just about there, but couldn't.

Kiss - 2,000 Man (Live Acoustic)

Kimberly Locke - 8th World Wonder

(I love her voice so shut up)

Journey - Girl Can't Help It

Queen - Dragon Attack

Mortal Combat Sound Clip

"Get Over Here"

Sybil - Falling In Love (Extended Mix)

Badlands - Metal Church - This was one of my favorite albums in college.

Prodigal Son - Iron Maiden - This was an incredible album from 1981. Adrian Smith's first with the band... I love his playing in Maiden

Big Neon Glitter (live) - The Cult - The "Love" album an all time classic

The Seeker (from R30) - Rush

Kids of the Century - Helloween - Minus Kai Hansen, Helloween will never be the same, but still made a few good songs here and there... This one is from Pink Bubbles Go Ape (1991)

Subdivisions (R30) - Rush

Juanita - Iron Maiden - B'side from Somewhere in Time era

Fallen Heroes - Adrian Smith & Project - One of my favorite guitar players, some of his solo stuff

Women in Uniform - Iron Maiden - B'side from the early days of Maiden. They actually made a video for this song.. It was included on a video compilation at one point but I can't remember what it was or what it's called. So sue me laugh.gif

No prayer for the dying - Iron Maiden --- Man, my shuffle play is diggin on Maiden!! laugh.gif First album after Adrian Smith departed.. Maiden really lost something here.. but still enjoy it.

Rush - Bastille Day

Chris Cornell - Can't Change Me

Santana w/ Michelle Branch - The Game Of Love

Pat Benatar - Fight It Out

George Benson - Lady Love Me (One More Time)

Jim Croce - I've Got A Name

Paul McCartney - Junior's Farm

Van Halen - Girl Gone Bad

The Fixx - Question

Ratt - Shame, Shame, Shame

Yes - Perpetual Change (from Yessongs)

Very cool extended version of this song on the live version, gets a bit jazzy towards the middle which I liked, and a tiny drum solo towards the end. Not my favorite song off of The Yes Album, but it was cool hearing this pop up as I dont think I have listened to any of The Yes Album material in over a year.

The Doors - LA Woman (from LA Woman)

One of my favorites from this album, I just love the scream that Jim gets in his voice towards the end when he goes "City Of Night" over and over. Its just a shame Jim had to go down the road he went, as the material the group was pushing out even up to his death was still very high quality. Then again, maybe its a better thing they didnt go on for years and have thier sound degrade over time.

Radiohead - Idioteque (from Kid A)

Basically its the same infectious drum machine beat on repeat for a few minutes with some really cool synth and vocal structures on top of it. This was a quite an experimental and synth driven album, definatly my favorite output by Radiohead.

The Catholic Comb - Sixteen To Twenty-One (from Ghost Stories)

The Catholic Comb is a San Francisco band that I have gone to see earlier this year. They have a somewhat dark/goth sound, but mixed with a bit of youthful naivete. This track was featured on Live 105's Soundcheck, which plays a lot of material not in regular rotation which was my first exposure to the band.

Gary Numan - My Jesus (from Scarred)

Scarred was a live album put out for support of his recently released Pure album. The entire album is quite a departure from the style of music most are familiar with Numan, that being the basic new wavy sounds such as in the song "Cars". My Jesus and the Pure album would fit much better catagorized with bands like Nine Inch Nails or Skinny Puppy then New Order or Depeche Mode.

Scissor Sisters - Music Is The Victim - One of the great non-singles from the eponymous debut album.

Rush - Available Light - I presume you're all familiar with this one!!

Spock's Beard - Devil's Got My Throat - One of the bands I've been introduced to through this board and Counterparts. Snow is a double concept album about an NY based entertainer who turns into Jesus (or something like that, I haven't analysed it too closely). Great instrumentation, and a wonderful take on harmonies as well.

Belle and Sebastian - For The Price Of a Cup Of Tea - The Life Pursuit is one of the albums of the year so far IMO. A Scottish band who have flirted on the border between cult status and wider popularity for a while. This may well be the one that pushes them over the edge.

Planxty - Merrily Kissed The Quaker - One of the all time classic Irish albums, this is the sort of thing I rebelled against in my late teens/early twenties, and then came to appreciate more and more as maturity set in (allegedly).

Steve Vai - Feathers

Beautifully flowing instrumental; love the part around 2:58.

Dream Theater - One Last Time

The perfect amalgamation of all the songs Scenes From a Memory, my favorite all time album. Love Petrucci's guitar around 2:11 followed by LaBrie's best vocals at 2:20.

2.gif - Driven

Geddy's best basswork ever. A different, but pleasing, sound from Rush all together.

Foreigner - Jukebox Hero

I've always wished Type-O Negative would sing this song... for some reason.

Thanatopsis - Nostrum

Usually, I don't like blusey sounding guitarwork, but Buckethead in Thanatopsis really brings it to life. Travis Dickerson also adds a lot to the music, since there are few keyboardists better than him.

Just bought an iPod a few weeks ago - have to give it a try. Nice thread!

1) Inheritance by NEW MODEL ARMY (live version from ???) -

Don't know which CD this version is originally on. The studio version is from 1987's "Thunder and Consolation". Great folk-punk-album (or what style it should be) from a band that used to be awesome between 1985-1990. Great song, too, with just piano, drums and vocals producing a very powerful, dark atmosphere.

2) Irgendwie Irgendwo Irgendwann by NENA (from a Best Of compilation) -

Oh my God! blush4.gif The bad thing with MP3s is: you keep everything that comes into your hands - at least I don't delete stuff often enough. My nephew wanted to have this, well, German 80spop "classic". Embarrassing, but , uhmm, not bad, or, so bad, that it's good,somehow. For those outside Germany: Nena used to have an international hit with "99 Red Ballons" in the early 80s. If you don't know it, don't care. You haven't missed anything of importance.

3) Fever - by ELVIS PRESLEY (from "The Legendary E.P.")

Another compilation track. Don't have to say much about that, I guess. Love it! What a lovely thing to burn ... Probably the King's best track - ah no, that would be "Suspicious Minds".

4) Rumspringa by THE NITS (from "1974")

The track is from 2004, actually. A Dutch band that celebrated their 30th anniversary in 2004 (hear, hear ...). This was their anniversary record. The Nits are one of the true gems in pop music: A variety of styles (loosely connectable to, well, a mixture of Talking Heads, Leonard Cohen and The Beatles, but pretty unique and very European in their style. Heavily underrated ... "Rumspringa", BTW, is (supposed to be) Southern German for "Jumpin' Around", and, uhmmm, that's what the song is is about. Great lyrics, believe it or not!

5) Djeli Mara by SABAN BAJRAMOVIC (from "Rough Guide to the Music of The Balkans")

From a compilation of Balkan sounds. Love the intimacy, directness and musical prowess of these bands (this is a gipsy tune, others are mostly brass bands) from Serbia, Romania or Bulgaria. Might very well be one of the most interesting folk music areas worldwide. The singer on this one is about 75 and reputed to be a great dancer - Bosnia's Cab Calloway, in a way.

What's next? - "The Bad Touch" by the Bloodhound Gang (How did that one get on it??? Nice, though), "Let's Kill Saddam" by WEIRD AL YANKOVIC (That guy's really rofl3.gif , "Mrs Jesus" by TORI AMOS and ... after seven more tracks, finally, our boys (with "Force Ten")

The Who - Music Must Change (from Who Are You)

A slower, bluesier song out of them from the last album that Keith Moon was alive to be apart of. Interestingly enough, Keith's drumming isnt even featured in this track, as he could couldnt get the 1-2-3 count down well enough to incorperate his signature style of playing.

Cut Copy - A Dream (from Bright Like Neon Love)

One of the slower, more melodic tunes from this album, which is extremely heavy in etherial dance qualities and synth layers. A friend of mine got me into them after she saw them open for Franz Ferdinand, and I have been listening to them fairly regularly for months now. Extremely catchy dance tunes.

Peter Gabriel - D.I.Y. (from Plays Live)

Though II (Scratch) didnt really jump at me like other Gabriel solo works, this track done live definatly has a much stronger feel to it. I really like the 5/4ths time signature the chorus is in as well.

Rush - Crossroads (from R30 Live)

Definatly a very energetic interpretation of this Cream classic, as many of you know, though personally Feedback is an album that hasnt gotten more then 1 or 2 runthroughs since I bought it nearly 2 years ago. At least live Alex gives an interesting solo.

Yes - Awaken (from Going For The One)

Ohhh, I was happy when this one came up, easily my favorite epic length track out of Yes. It was a real treat getting to see this done live when I saw them in late 2004, though I did commit an unforgivable concert sin when I got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of this song. Hey, I didnt have the album yet and didnt know the song, everyone knows it takes time to fully appreciate this band......

It was a good year and a half ago......

Ok, I'll go back to my corner.

Rush - The Body Electric

I assume most of us have heard this one!!!!!!!!

Arctic Monkeys - Fake Tales Of San Francisco

Still my favourite song of theirs. A savage indictment of bands from these islands (we have our fair share in ireland too) who try to sing in fake American accents. "You're not from New York City, you're from Rotheram", they sing, but it could be Letterkenny, Cork, London or Glasgow. "Get off the bandwagon, put down the handbook". Good advice.

They Might be Giants - About Me

I love this band. The instrumentation, the timing the groove. This is an album closer that lasts for 40 seconds, and then has oodles of empty space. A real pisser on the i-Pod, but there you go.

Victory At Sea - For You And I

I know very little about this band. I got the album on e-music on the basis that they are most frequently compared to The Decemberists, Acoustic heavy AOR with teeth.

Mano Negra - Sidi H'Bibi (Live)

From the live bonus disc that came with last year's Greatest Hits package, this is a traditional Arabic love song, but interpreted and played in a manner suggestive of a quickie up a back alley rather than a slow seduction.

Archived