Geddy's Best Synth Work

Geddy's Soul Patch

Just proves I am even more ignorant than I think I am. :yes: :LOL:

Hey give yourself credit, how many people even know what a Mellotron is? I love Geddy's talent of being able to sing melody while playing bass and throwing in the keyboards/synths too. Grace Under Pressure is my favorite for synths and was the album that got me to love Rush. I do like Mission and Marathon too... :musicnote:

• Like 1

The AFTK album has some of Ged's best (Xanadu) & worst (Xanadu, AFTK, Madrigal) keyboard work.

Please explain. Xanadu is the best and the worst? I think the keys are incredible in Xandu. Simplistically so, but incredible.

• Like 3

I think the interesting thing about how Geddy uses synths is the way he weaves them into the songs. Unless it's a song like Between the Wheels or Subdivisions that are very heavily synth-driven they just become part of the song instead of standing out. I think he's a very clever keyboardist. Maybe not really technically gifted but he's very musically gifted.

Yup. EM gets it! :ebert:

• Like 1

The AFTK album has some of Ged's best (Xanadu) & worst (Xanadu, AFTK, Madrigal) keyboard work.

Please explain. Xanadu is the best and the worst? I think the keys are incredible in Xandu. Simplistically so, but incredible.

Really. I wish I could do such awful work.

• Like 2

Best synth song: Subdivisions. Any Rush fan knows in 2 seconds what song just started.

Best album: p/g because of the variety. DEW, RSA, and BTW are all excellent synth work, yet the synth tones are very different from song to song.. cleanly knifing on DEW, pulsating and shimmering on RSA, discordant on BTW.

• Like 1

Best synth song: Subdivisions. Any Rush fan knows in 2 seconds what song just started.

Best album: p/g because of the variety. DEW, RSA, and BTW are all excellent synth work, yet the synth tones are very different from song to song.. cleanly knifing on DEW, pulsating and shimmering on RSA, discordant on BTW.

To be fair, any Rush fan knows in two seconds like any Rush song that just started. At least from Rush to p/g

Throughout the album, Ged does masterful work on the big atmospheric stuff, but when he's playing melodies note by note, like in the intro to AFTK or on Madrigal or during the breaks in Xanadu, it's uninspired...even silly. Only my opinion of course.
  • Like 1

Listened to Analog Kid today while running. Great example of how Geddy uses keys to support a sing. On that same album, Geddy's keyboard work makes Countdown worth listening to. Saves the song, really.
  • Like 1

Throughout the album, Ged does masterful work on the big atmospheric stuff, but when he's playing melodies note by note, like in the intro to AFTK or on Madrigal or during the breaks in Xanadu, it's uninspired...even silly. Only my opinion of course.

That's fair but Xanadu... I think the single line melodies are glorious. Every note perfect. The sound on the Moog is great. Hell, even the low booming E on the synth under Alex's swells at the beginning is awesome. It doesn't have to be lightening fast or overly complicated to be perfect for me. Melodic, pretty and fits perfectly complimenting the song and what's going on around it.

• Like 2

That's fair but Xanadu... I think the single line melodies are glorious. Every note perfect. The sound on the Moog is great. Hell, even the low booming E on the synth under Alex's swells at the beginning is awesome. It doesn't have to be lightening fast or overly complicated to be perfect for me. Melodic, pretty and fits perfectly complimenting the song and what's going on around it.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 1

Well, it reminds me of Linda McCartney on Band on the Run, but less subtle or effective. To each his own.

Well, it reminds me of Linda McCartney on Band on the Run, but less subtle or effective. To each his own.

:o

• Like 1

I wrote that? :lol:

Could be my favorite post ever!

• Like 1

Was wondering what you were thinking there...Linda McCartney??? Geddy could play with one arm and make her look like an amateur... :laughing guy:

Vital Signs intro was cool, I still like Grace Under Pressure but Signals is great as well. :heart:

I`m with you on AFTK as we know, but wow, Linda M. That`s a burn :fury:
  • Like 1