Geddy's Best Synth Work

Geddy's Soul Patch

What's the difference between a mellotron and a moog synthesizer?

A Mellotron is more of a looping device. It predates the synths and used tape to loop pre-recorded sounds.

The Moog is actually the manufacturer of a synth (pronounced Mog btw with a long O sound). Very enormous originally with patch cables that link effects and processors to produce sounds. Frequency filters, wave forms, etc.

I know how a mellotron works on account of Mike Pinder and The Moodies, but I didn't know how it differed from the moog which sounds the same to me. :huh:

Not close at all. The Moog builds a sound through synthesis. The Mellotron builds nothing.

A guitar can sound like a violin if played a certain way but the ain't the same.

Would Show Don't Tell be considered a heavy synth song?

Not super heavy, but the synth does carry the chorus

I wish I could intelligently reply to this topic, but I can't. The only thing I know is that I love that synth sound.

I am with you. I don't have a clue. Some of the synth sound is good. He could be a great synth player or a lousy one and I wouldn't know the difference.... :huh:

I'll hang out over in the corner with you guys. I like Rush songs and many Rush songs have synths and that's about all I know!

Sweet. A menois a trois of sorts with two mature lovely ladies..... :dweez: :)
  • Like 1

He's actually not a great keyboard player and he'll be the first to tell you that. He plays simple lines and chords. Very rarely does he even really solo like on Subdivisions and Countdown.

BUT... I consider him a great synth player. What makes a great synth player, in my mind anyway, is playing the sound and notes that compliment the song the best. I love Rush's use of synth throughout all the era's and I typically am not a fan of synths. Why? Cause usually they're done by a synth player who doesn't know when to stop. Because Geddy did both roles there wasn't a need for the him to play the synth everywhere... only when needed. Hence... greatness.

That's why I can't listen to The Doors for more than two minutes at a time. Knock it the f*** off already!! We heard that same keyboard line 30 times in a row!!

• Like 4

Tell me the heaviest synth song so I can have a point of reference.

I'm not sure what THE heaviest synth song is, but some really heavy ones are: Red Lenses, Second Nature, and Manhattan Project

I'm not sure what THE heaviest synth song is, but some really heavy ones are: Red Lenses, Second Nature, and Manhattan Project

One of those songs is even good..... :)
  • Like 1

Ged's keyboards are beautiful and perfect within the context of rush music. The guy just has it.

listen to the exquisite synth in BU2B... i dont know a whole lot about keyboardists and their craft in general but the sound ged makes with those things is absolutely perfect and beautiful for the Rush thing.

I arrived at that conclusion on my very first listen to hemispheres actually.

• Like 1

That's why I can't listen to The Doors for more than two minutes at a time.

:o

:musicnote: Before you slip into unconsciousness

I'd like to have another kiss..... :musicnote:

Edited by Lorraine

He's actually not a great keyboard player and he'll be the first to tell you that. He plays simple lines and chords. Very rarely does he even really solo like on Subdivisions and Countdown.

BUT... I consider him a great synth player. What makes a great synth player, in my mind anyway, is playing the sound and notes that compliment the song the best. I love Rush's use of synth throughout all the era's and I typically am not a fan of synths. Why? Cause usually they're done by a synth player who doesn't know when to stop. Because Geddy did both roles there wasn't a need for the him to play the synth everywhere... only when needed. Hence... greatness.

That's why I can't listen to The Doors for more than two minutes at a time. Knock it the f*** off already!! We heard that same keyboard line 30 times in a row!!

Amen. Can't stand their music. They are one of the only "classic rock" bands that I change the radio station for when they come on. Just my opinion.....
  • Like 2

Amen. Can't stand their music. They are one of the only "classic rock" bands that I change the radio station for when they come on. Just my opinion.....

I too always change the station when the Doors come on! Not a good band...
  • Like 2

Being a keyboard player in a Rush tribute band (and that's all I do... No bass or vocals) I can say that Jacobs Ladder is a very heavy keyboard song. I use 2 keyboards at a time, plus PK-5 pedal (knock off Taurus pedals).

Other heavy keyboard songs I do are:

Chemistry

Countdown

Between The Wheels

The Garden

Subdivisions

Xanadu

Prime Mover

Marathon

The Camera Eye

Ghost of a Chance

The Analog Kid

Witch Hunt

Edited by Distant Signals
  • Like 1

:o

:o :o

• Like 1

What do you mean by heavy? You mean the song is mostly keyboards or the keys have a big, fat synth sound?

What do you mean by heavy? You mean the song is mostly keyboards or the keys have a big, fat synth sound?

I was just naming songs with an abundance of keyboards

I believe it was actually an English guy from London called Andy Richards who played a large part of the keyboards on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire and not Geddy! Sorry!

I think Andy Richards pretty much just added in crazy noises and stuff. I'm almost positive all of the more musical synth was done by Geddy
  • Like 2

I believe it was actually an English guy from London called Andy Richards who played a large part of the keyboards on Power Windows and Hold Your Fire and not Geddy! Sorry!

I think Andy Richards pretty much just added in crazy noises and stuff. I'm almost positive all of the more musical synth was done by Geddy

Yeah. Geddy is not the one to let anyone else steal his show. I mean that in a good way. Remember the female backup singer? I noticed how even then Geddy made sure it was his song and he made sure she didn't dominate it.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I wish I could intelligently reply to this topic, but I can't. The only thing I know is that I love that synth sound.

I am with you. I don't have a clue. Some of the synth sound is good. He could be a great synth player or a lousy one and I wouldn't know the difference.... :huh:

Me too. In fact, the longer I am here, the more embarrassed I am getting because I know so little. Is the synth the same as the keyboards?

I don't care as long as it sounds good!

I don't really understand chord changes or why anyone could hate Caress Of Steel

• Like 1

Best synth albums: Power Windows, Signals, Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Hold Your Fire (in that order)

Best synth songs (in no particular order): YYZ (just such perfect timing is all I can say), Between The Wheels, Distant Early Warning, Red Sector A, Xanadu (probably, can't say I ever paid much attention to the synths, but I will next time from what's been said here), Subdivisions, Big Money, The Trees, Circumstances, the quiet midsection of Cyngus X-1 Book II, Tom Sawyer, Jacob's Ladder, The Camera Eye (may be super easy, but such a great way to compliment the song), Vital Signs, New World Man, The Body Electric, Territories, Tai Shan, Madrigal, Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Manhattan Project...okay, like EVERYTHING on Power Windows, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, and Moving Pictures. Oh and I'm sure if I listened for the synth work on CA I'd find some other pretty great stuff too.

• Like 1

I think the interesting thing about how Geddy uses synths is the way he weaves them into the songs. Unless it's a song like Between the Wheels or Subdivisions that are very heavily synth-driven they just become part of the song instead of standing out. I think he's a very clever keyboardist. Maybe not really technically gifted but he's very musically gifted.
  • Like 8

I dig 'em...many of their songs anyway. How can you not l like Riders on the storm, at least?
  • Like 1