The ultimate DIY studio?

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Very impressive indeed...Almost breathtaking seeing just how clean everything is. Gotta appreciate the ingenuity (and disposable income) this guy has. Anyone who still runs tape is okay in my book...let alone someone who made a console from scratch... I'd love to record on that setup...hell, I'd be alright with just watching someone run that equipment.
  • Like 1

And it probably sounds like 1956.

That is a lot of work. I have a friend who builds a lot of his own gear, or used to anyway. He got so bogged down in the DIY stuff he wasn't recording or making music. He also got rid of his multitrack tape machines. Two manufacturers of tape stock left, but for how much longer? Plus all those moving parts. How long will parts be available for repairs?

The tube console must be nice, but hot as f*** to work on. I have a solid state console and I can cook on that thing. I have to turn it off in the summer on really hot days to keep my house temp down.

I have 7 mics that I rebuilt/modified using a design by a well known gear technician, including capsules. I've been using them quite a lot.

But I think I'm sticking with the ProTools hybrid model for recording and audio production. I could use better mic pres though. I can't make a living cutting SFX on tape!

There have been great strides in gear modeling plugins in the last 2 years. Seriously good stuff. I detest most Waves plugins but I swear by their Abbey Road collection. Using them on anything musical. Slate Digital's VCC is great, but not quite ProTools 11 ready yet. I hear good things about their Virtual Tape Machine from record pros who use tape as well as Virtual Console Channel (which is why I got the VCC). The Abbey Road J37 (Studer 4 track used on Beatle recordings, modeled from the actual machine) is stellar as is the REDD Channel which is modeled from the hand built tube desk made by EMI. These really add body and presence to digital signals making them very analogue sounding. It's subtle but stunning. It's like a glue for sound.