Mmmm...home grown fresh Tomatoes!!!

vital signz

There are few things in life better than a home-grown ripe tomato right out of your garden, sliced and lightly salted and placed onto your favorite bread with mayo. A home grown sun ripened tomato sandwich...it truly makes life slow down a bit, and the problems of the day seem to get lost somewhere where you can't seem to remember where to find them for a while...

http://img.food.com/img/recipes/98/72/4/large/pichOyFoZ.jpg

• Like 7

Sunny makes toasted tomato sandwiches. Toast the bread, butter both sides, mayo on one side and salt and pepper on the tomatoes. I was very hesitant the first time I had one, but they are amazing.
  • Like 1

I have issue with just tomato bread and mayo. Maybe its good, but it does not sound right. Missing something? Meat maybe? LOL

All kidding aside I love homegrown tomatoes and have picked my first one last week.

I have in addition to tomato's, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, Serrano peppers, Jalapeño peppers, Ghost peppers, Habanero peppers, cucumbers, eggplant and a large variety of herbs.

I love this time of year when the garden provides me with plenty items to use in preparing meals. Lightens and refreshes the senses.

Edited by John V

I have issue with just tomato bread and mayo. Maybe its good, but it does not sound right. Missing something? Meat maybe? LOL

All kidding aside I love homegrown tomatoes and have picked my first one last week.

I have in addition to tomato's, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, Serrano peppers, Jalapeño peppers, Ghost peppers, Habanero peppers, cucumbers, eggplant and a large variety of herbs.

I love this time of year when the garden provides me with plenty items to use in preparing meals. Lightens and refreshes the senses.

Exactly, that's what I thought too and my Sunny is definitely a meatasaurus. If we skip too many days without red-meat she doesn't like it.

Her tomato sandwiches are awesome though.

• Like 1

I wish I like tomatoes but I just can't. Maybe I need to get the right sort or from the right country. From Denmark they just taste watery.

But kudos for making homegrown vegetable. I'm having plans about growing my own vegetables. Cutting down on CO2 and all that, you know. Saving some money on the side too ;)

Home grown tomatoes are so much better than the hot house variety that there's no comparison. They could almost be two different things. I love having a garden even if it's only a few pots of tomatoes. Watching stuff grow is the fun part. Even more than eating it but that's enjoyable too. :)
  • Like 1

I had a kitchen garden through a school program in elementary school. Two or three days a week my friend and I would tend our joint garden after school. When you eat something you have grown yourself it tastes so much better. :)
  • Like 2

I had a kitchen garden through a school program in elementary school. Two or three days a week my friend and I would tend our joint garden after school. When you eat something you have grown yourself it tastes so much better. :)

Yes it does. We used to have a big garden when I was growing up. I miss that. I just don't have enough room right now to plant all the stuff I would like to, or the back to do all that bending. Getting old sucks.

I've got 7 tomato plants right now. I got two ripe ones so far. Lots of green ones right now. I hope that I will have more tomatoes than I know what to do with in the next two weeks! :banana:
  • Like 2

I've got 7 tomato plants right now. I got two ripe ones so far. Lots of green ones right now. I hope that I will have more tomatoes than I know what to do with in the next two weeks! :banana:

I have six. The wind and rain knocked one over and I duct taped it together and used twine to splint it to a stick and it's still growing. :LOL:

I have six. The wind and rain knocked one over and I duct taped it together and used twine to splint it to a stick and it's still growing. :LOL:

I have to tie up a couple on mine too! It's a good problem to have. It means they're growing!
  • Like 1

I just checked mine and there are a tons of green tomatoes on there. Another week or so and wheee! Tomato time!

If it works out the same as the times I have grown attempted tomatoes the bugs will have eaten them by then.... :LOL:

Well my tomato garden is over. I had so many I had to take most of them to my local watering hole and give them away.

I still have red bell and green bell peppers and will have then until late Sept.

I am waiting on my first eggplant. I used seeds to start them and thats why the peppers and eggplant are producing or getting ready to produce.

I am going to try a fall garden when this is over. Cabbage (red and green), broccoli and asparagus.

Never had a fall garden before.

• Like 1

Well my tomato garden is over. I had so many I had to take most of them to my local watering hole and give them away.

I still have red bell and green bell peppers and will have then until late Sept.

I am waiting on my first eggplant. I used seeds to start them and thats why the peppers and eggplant are producing or getting ready to produce.

I am going to try a fall garden when this is over. Cabbage (red and green), broccoli and asparagus.

Never had a fall garden before.

I love the sound of a fall garden! I enjoy all of those vegetables. I can't have a garden because of all the critters that would eat everything but I think next year I'm going to try and plant rhubarb and see if that will work for me. If the animals eat the leaves, oh well, at least I'll still have the stalks.

I would grow tomatoes but, as you said, John... plants yield a LOT. We just had a neighbor stop by a few nights ago to give us a big bowl of extras they had. :LOL:

• Like 2

I found out I cannot get asparagus this season and it could take up to three seasons before I could harvest any.

Asparagus is a mighty chore to get started. Takes much care and planning.

But, according to the research I have done, an asparagus garden can produce for up to 30 years without replanting.

No wonder they are so expensive.

Not a fan of tomatoes except as a sauce or salsa ingredient.

One thing I always found really weird is when people put sugar on them and eat them like apples. wat.

My family does have a tomato garden in the backyard, and damn, that salsa is tasty after you add the onions and fiery peppers.

Edited by BowlCity